By Bruce Johnson
1.Easy books, books a child has read before, and old favorites are most appropriate.
2. Reading aloud is great practice.
3. Paired Reading. An adult and a child read together at the same time. The adult reads loud enough for the child to hear both the adult voice and his or her own voice, and remembers to read slowly at the child’s reading pace. Some parents complete all of the reading together. Other parents start reading together, the child signals when ready to read solo, and then the reading is completed by the child.
4. Echo Reading. The adult reads a paragraph, sentence, or phrase and the child reads the same section afterwards, like an echo. Some readers can manage echo reading a full paragraph. Others can manage only a phrase.
5. Shared Reading. The adult and the child share the reading by taking turns reading aloud. This can be done with two different kinds of texts. With a regular book, the adult and child just take turns reading. The adult starts the reading, and looks ahead for shorter sentences, passages the child can read, or words the child may know. The child reads those parts. In some books, the texts for the parent and the child are different. The parent reads the more sophisticated text and the child reads selections written at the child’s level. Check out We Both Read books.
6. Books on tape.
7. Older children read to younger children.
8. Read aloud while riding in the car.
9. Family members bring a favorite passage or favorite poem to read out loud at the dinner table.
10. Read from a comic book and mimic how the character may speak the part.
Sign up for our newsletter and we'll send you more
insights to help you help your child succeed.
Thank you! You will begin to receive newsletters from us shortly.
Great work! Only one more step. Now we just need you to verify your email address. Please click on the link in the email we just sent you to complete your registration.
Great work! Only one more step. Now we just need you to verify your email address. Please click on the link in the email we just sent you to submit your review.
Please click on the link in the verification email we just sent you to complete your change of email address.
Whoops! It looks like we still need to verify your email. To do so, please click on the link in the email we sent you. Can't find the e-mail? Click the button below and we'll send you a new one.
Thanks for registering. Welcome to GreatSchools, the largest online community committed to improving educational outcomes through parental involvement.
Thanks for verifying your updated email address.
Oops! You haven't verified your email address yet. To do so, please click on the link in the email we sent you. Can't find the email? Click the button below to receive a new one.
Oops! That email verification link has expired. Please click the button below to receive a new one.
Create an account to submit your answers.
Sign in with an existing GreatSchools account or using Facebook:
Your review has been posted to GreatSchools.
Share with friends! Post your opinion of on Facebook.
Welcome to GreatSchools!
For principals and school officials, we offer a special Enhanced School Profile (ESP) which allows you to update and add information about your school, as well as respond to reviews. If you are a school official, click Continue to start.
Please note that it can take up to 48 hours for your comment to be posted to our site. While you're here, we'd like to invite you to fill out a survey on your school's programs, activities, and extracurriculars. It only takes a few minutes and will help parents get a full picture of your school.
Get started now! You have successfully registered and can now start updating your Official School Profile. The information you provide is extremely valuable in helping parents and students learn more about your school, so thanks for taking the time!
Thank you for registering as a school leader. We just need to verify your email address. We've sent you an email - please click on the link in that message to get started editing your school's information!
Thanks! We just sent you an email – please click on the link in the email to post your answers.
Get timely updates for , including performance data and recently posted user reviews.