By Patti Constantakis
1. Have a rich variety of books and reading materials in your home including fiction/non-fiction, magazines, comics, newspapers, computer, etc.
2. Make sure you include non-fiction books in your daily reading routine.
3. Consider your child's interests when selecting reading materials. Whether your child is interested in animals, dance, the lives of artists or athletes, foreign countries, sports, or robots, finding books that match his interest will boost his enthusiasm for reading.
4. Ask questions before reading a new book. For example, ask your child "what do you already know about spiders?" Look at the cover and table of contents. "What do you think you will learn in this book?"
5. Practice using the table of contents and index to find information in books. This will help build research skills your child will need in later grades.
6. Pay attention to new words to help your child build vocabulary. Have your child look new words up in a dictionary. Talk about what the new word means, and how to use it.
7. Play the “I am thinking” game. Say: “I am thinking of something new I learned in this book. What am I thinking about?” Continue to give simple clues until your child finds the answer.
8. Ask open-ended questions to get your child to supply more than one word answers. Instead of asking, "Did you like this book?" ask your child, "What did you like about this book? What didn't you like?" Questions that begin with why or how usually yield good answers.
9. After reading, ask your child, "What is something new you learned?"
10. When reading a book with your child, take the time to seek out other sources — a dictionary, encyclopedia, or the internet, for example — to answer your child's questions, look up new words, or learn more about a subject that piques your child's interest.
Sign up for our newsletter and we'll send you more
insights to help you help your child succeed.
Thank you! You will begin to receive newsletters from us shortly.
Great work! Only one more step. Now we just need you to verify your email address. Please click on the link in the email we just sent you to complete your registration.
Great work! Only one more step. Now we just need you to verify your email address. Please click on the link in the email we just sent you to submit your review.
Please click on the link in the verification email we just sent you to complete your change of email address.
Whoops! It looks like we still need to verify your email. To do so, please click on the link in the email we sent you. Can't find the e-mail? Click the button below and we'll send you a new one.
Thanks for registering. Welcome to GreatSchools, the largest online community committed to improving educational outcomes through parental involvement.
Thanks for verifying your updated email address.
Oops! You haven't verified your email address yet. To do so, please click on the link in the email we sent you. Can't find the email? Click the button below to receive a new one.
Oops! That email verification link has expired. Please click the button below to receive a new one.
Create an account to submit your answers.
Sign in with an existing GreatSchools account or using Facebook:
Your review has been posted to GreatSchools.
Share with friends! Post your opinion of on Facebook.
Welcome to GreatSchools!
For principals and school officials, we offer a special Enhanced School Profile (ESP) which allows you to update and add information about your school, as well as respond to reviews. If you are a school official, click Continue to start.
Please note that it can take up to 48 hours for your comment to be posted to our site. While you're here, we'd like to invite you to fill out a survey on your school's programs, activities, and extracurriculars. It only takes a few minutes and will help parents get a full picture of your school.
Get started now! You have successfully registered and can now start updating your Official School Profile. The information you provide is extremely valuable in helping parents and students learn more about your school, so thanks for taking the time!
Thank you for registering as a school leader. We just need to verify your email address. We've sent you an email - please click on the link in that message to get started editing your school's information!
Thanks! We just sent you an email – please click on the link in the email to post your answers.
Get timely updates for , including performance data and recently posted user reviews.