Thompson Middle School

Public | 7-8 | 919 students

Sweep tile

Posted September 19, 2013

i attended TMS in the 2012-2013 school year i honestly did not like it very much i had very few teachers who i would considered good instructors some would give us work and sit down and get on their phone the whole time i do not recommend this school i was voted on of the smartest people in my grade and got many awards but honestly everything was just too easy they practically gave us the answers all the time.

Posted August 8, 2013

After reading all these comments, it surprises me this school got a 8 out of ten stars. There is a lot of whining going on by parents blaming the school for something they need to take responsibility for their kids. If you do not know that your kid is failing a class, YOU need to keep up with the grades. You will not always be in your child's life so you better step away now so they can learn for themselves!!!

Posted May 24, 2013

My child attended TMS for the first time this past school year. It was a rough year for us full of lots of struglges adjusting to middle school and the strict requirements. However, the teachers, principals, and support staff were phenomenal. Any time I emailed them with questions, I got a very quick response - and they weren't short and sweet. They went above and beyond to do all they could to help my child be successful. One of the teachers from another team even provided tutoring services in the evenings to help explain the items that were taught in class. The only negative issue I encountered this year involved a teacher who was out on maternity leave. In this particular class, the teacher was out for the entire first semester of school. During this time, they had 3 substitutes. Each one had different rules, expectations, and teaching styles - not to mention their general approach to the students varied greatly. Because of this, the kids struggled, even the ones who had never had issues with this subject previously. In light of this though, the staff continued to work with my child to try to overcome the issues related to this.

Posted March 20, 2013

My son became a struggling student after an accident/illness forced him to miss many days and get behind. Prior to that, he was an honor student his entire life. Many attempts were made to reach the teacher only to get no response. My son was failing, and she did not care. I finally went to the principal in office at the time and got a screaming phone call from the teacher angry that I "went over her head to tell on her to her principal". It wasn't long after that my son became a homeschooler. No regrets about pulling him out.

Posted March 29, 2012

My experience with this school has not been good. When my oldest went to this school, it was like pulling teeth to get a meeting with the teachers. When we did get a meeting, it was very obvious that they didn't care about our concerns over his grades. We practically begged them to help us to help him do better, but they didn't seem to want to bothered since our son was passing.... barely. Although we also asked them to notify us if he continued to do badly, they never did. There is NO way that our youngest will be in this school system - I'll home school before I send him to a school where the teachers don't care if the students pass or not.

Posted December 29, 2011

My son was failing 8th grade math for the entire 1st nine weeks and no one bothered to notify me.. now we are trying to play catch up to get him to a passing grade. the teacher advised me there are only 2 more major grade assingments and he must do well on both to pass. the thing is even she told me he wants to do well in her class so it's not like he's being defiant and not turning assingments in or studying.. so why couldn't she give me the benefit of the doubt and alert me that my son was struggling. now he's been pulled out of extra curicular activities and can not attend assemblies. He was humiliated and removed from an assembly he didnt know he wasn't supposed to attend. I am very un happy wth TMS they should be required to notify a parent when a child has a d D or lower. and with enough time that you can assist your child in achieving a passing grade.

Posted May 10, 2010

Last year I was an 8th grader at TMS. I have been an all A student all my life and take all advanced/honors classes. It is true that the teachers mostly only help the 'smart' kids which is horrible. The teachers gave a ton of work and I was always stressed out. It felt like I was already in the upper classes in high school. I was always up late doing homework which I would start about 4 every afternoon. They are very strict on dress code it is insane!!! They care more about dress code than grades. The popular kids like the jocks and cheerleaders were always favorites and got everything they wanted. Don't get me wrong, I have some friends who are the Popular Kids, but I hated how they were treated differently.

Posted September 30, 2009

The teachers and staff are the best !

Posted September 29, 2009

The Principal is just awesome!! She is very involved in all aspects of the school.

Posted May 7, 2008

In my opinion this is a very poor excuse for a school. My child has been on the A honor roll since for all 6 years, has very high SAT scores and yet it seems as if the most important thing to this school is (a) are you following the dress code (b) attendance, because for everyday your child misses, it means that they don't get $ for the day they miss. The 'popular' kids if you want to call them that, I refer to them as 'stepford' kids are catered to. Very obviose favortism going on at this school. Little or no communication between parents and teachers. The teachers tend to let you know there may be a problem when it is too late to try and help. If they let you know at all. Over all this school is a huge disapointment. Dress code and attendance are most important

Posted May 6, 2008

great and earth friendly enviornment

Posted March 26, 2008

Extremely unprofessional staff, teachers do not seem to be very dedicated to my son as much as I think they should be. I see a lot of favoritism in the school more attention is paid to the gifted students than just the average students. I think the principle is rude and most of the teachers seem rude to me as well. I try to stay very involved with everything that concerns my child and at times when I go to the school I feel like I am being a burden and not always welcomed. When I voice my concerns and ask to be called or e-mailed it is like pulling teeth to get a response from the school. Because of the teachers not willing to work well with me or my child they are very quick to send your child to alternative school and even have them locked up in juvenile.

Posted September 27, 2007

As a parent, this is a great school. This school can compete with academically with any of the Hoover schools. Professional teachers who demand participation by both parents and students.

Posted September 18, 2007

Extremely unprofessional staff.

Posted July 17, 2007

This school is growing rapidly. I think the new principal and teachers are doing an excellent job. Over the last two years there have been many positive changes.

Posted June 18, 2007

My child is a 6th grader and has been involved in this school system since kindergarten, and I have been disappointed in all but two of his teachers. There is a strong divide between students who are in the gifted program and those who are not. Facilities are nice, but the lack of interest in the kids is sad.

Posted May 21, 2007

My child transferred to Thompson and has done extremely well. Only a few issues like dress code but all in all, good school.

Posted May 8, 2007

I was very discouraged w/the lack of interest from the teachers, counselors, and principal. We sacraficed and enrolled our child into a local privates school.

Posted May 24, 2006

if you do not understand what is being taught in the classroom and ask for help to explain to learn, you will get no help from teachers unless you are a a-b grade average student. then, you will recieve all the attention needed as a student. if not, then your a student who gets left behind in the system.

Posted July 26, 2005

Good school overall, mine had mostly dedicated teachers that were very professional. A few others were not as professional.
—Submitted by an administrator

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2012.

454 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2012.

456 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % level 3 or 4

In 2011-2012 Alabama used the Alabama Reading and Mathematics Test (ARMT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math. The ARMT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2012.

463 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2012.

462 students were tested at this school in 2012.

All Students76%

Non-migrant87%
Poverty80%
Non-poverty91%
Scale: % level 3 or 4

The different student groups are identified by the Alabama Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students89%

Proficient in English89%
Non-migrant87%
Poverty78%

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2012.

455 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % level 3 or level 4

In 2011-2012 Alabama used the Alabama Science Assessment (ASA) to test students in grades 5 and 7 in science. The ASA is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficiency level 3.

Science

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 33%N/A55%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1509 Kent Dairy Rd