Anniston High School

Public | 8-12 | 565 students

Posted October 20, 2014

My school is working on improvements, its not the best but its working towards being the best. We are getting new EVERYTHING Books, Desk, Cafeteria renovations. The teachers are doing their best by learning new strategies to teach the students. The only thing that is BAD is how they handle certain situations. Now they putting EVERYBODY in alternative school for the dumbest things and for a very long time. They need to handle their hearing differentley and also have the Superintendent involved more.

Posted July 14, 2011

lol I'm sorry after reading these reviews I have to question who wrote them. It may be fun because you can pretty much do whatever you want to do and academically Anniston is not up to part. I'm a 2000 graduate, but luckily from another school (saks high). Honestly, I didn't learn anything from AHS and was blessed enough to be transferred. My senior year at SHS was the only time I actually learned something worth learning. If you're looking to just send your kid somewhere fun, so he/she can rome and do as they please, then AHS is definitelly the school of choice. However, if your search is in the area of better academics, then look elsewhere.

Posted April 15, 2011

I am an AHS alumni. I had only heard 'bad' things about Anniston High School in the past years so I went there to see for myself what it is like. Every student I talked to was very polite and helpful. They all love their principal. They feel she really cares about them. From what I observed, the school itself looked great except for the road and sidewalks in front. I also heard of positive things happening there.

Posted January 21, 2011

Anniston High is a Great School! I've experienced very caring teachers who have gone beyond the school room communication. Several teacher's have contacted me personally, by phone, when they felt that my child was not livng up to his full potential as a student! The teachers at Anniston High have wrongly received a bad reputaton but from what I've seen, they really put forth extra effort in educationing our children. The atmosphere at the school is similar to a very large, caring family! I'm glad that we made the decision to attend Anniston High!

Posted September 27, 2009

I think that Anniston High has the potential to be a great school. Although I did not attend Anniston I am currenty employeed there. Anniston doe get a bad rap in the media. Here we are right in Anniston and the Anniston Star never has anything positive to say about the school. Sure we have fights, drugs, and teen pregnancy but, so does the other schools. It is assumed that because we are a predominately black school we must be all bad and that is not the case. We have very bright individuals who would like opportunities to continue their educations but it takes a village to raise a child. So parents stop coaching from the sidelines and join the game. It starts at home. Get involved and see what a difference it will make in your kid's futures.

Posted August 25, 2009

I am currently a junior at Anniston High I just wanted to say that I love my school we are not as troubled as everyone thinks we are. I am happy to see to the zero tolerance policy being inforced kids who argue and fight should be suspended. They are disrupting the learning process and parents who think that is a bit much tell your children that there are other ways for problems to be handled, one way is to write down the problem and turn it in to the office. Harassment is not tolerated at Anniston ,and if you are disappointed in the test scores well you as parents need to take the time out and study with your children or get them extra tutoring don t blame the teachers, because I see teachers trying to teach but can t because the students your children won t let them.Thank You
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 24, 2009

I visited the school from hearsay but now that my child is attending and has been for two years transferring from California, Anniston High School outshines the others that we visited. Saks, Jacksonville, Oxford and the one private school that I forgot the name

Posted July 2, 2009

whoever your child is doesnt know what they are talking about if you get the fighting at our shool its automatis suspnsion for five days so u and your child need to know what you are talking about our school int bad as every one makes it we just need better teachers and more extra cirrular activites
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 24, 2009

This school is the best for my child. I love attending meetings and i am always updated on my child's behavior and academics. I commend everyone in that school. I commend the teachers, principals, lunch assistants, and students.

Posted April 7, 2009

I feel like Anniston High School gets a bad reputation when it should not. AHS has some great students who try really hard to better themselves and overcome negative opinions. I think the students at AHS are willing to work harder than students at other schools and they are very open minded. Students, faculty, and staff of AHS have a close relationship and teachers there are very supportive of their students. Some parents of AHS students need to be more involved with their children. I feel like my students are prepared for a promising future after high school and all are very accepting of other people. Anniston High has very talented, creative, and friendly students who respect each other and their teachers! All schools have problems, but AHS has great kids and a tight-knit faculty that supports one another! Bulldogs lead the way!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 17, 2006

Just as an observer of this site, I see there is room for improvement in all of the school systems in Calhoun County. I do see a difference in some schools and that is due to parent, community, and local government involvement. In having a conversation with a person from Jacksonville they made it clear that Anniston City does not compare, but test score for some Anniston City Schools where greater. With more involvement we could make an outstanding institution for learning. A Parent, A Teacher, and A Resident.

Posted June 4, 2006

As a parent and alumni of Anniston High school and also a taxpayer,homeowner,and retired military and married, I feel good sending my child to this school. I think the academic programs are good, parent involvement could be better, but being African American my child has the opportunity to be involved in different sports,danceline,cheerleading,band or anything else without prejudice unfortunately not being seen to much in other schools. Anniston High School is a good school, smart talented students, teachers willing to listen and help but yes, there are low income families and the need for help from the city gov, and more support from the community.Adults, take some of the blame for your school system, My husband and I work with our child at home and we support our school system and attend school events therefore we have no problem sending our child there.

Posted March 9, 2006

First, let me say that I am a proud of alumni of Anniston High School, and I felt compelled to give feedback on some of the issues that are currently plaguing my alma mata. I feel, better yet, I know Anniston High School has graduated some of the brightest and most talented students in Calhoun County. Anniston High has graduated women who went on the get full scholarships to West Point and major historically black colleges. This school system has also graduated young men who received scholarships to major universities and a lot of these young men have gone on to become professional athletes. The problems with AHS mainly lie in the administration and the parental support. The students are capable but lack proper administrative leadership.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 11, 2005

I want to say, 'wake up anniston school system parents'. Stop blaming the system, principal and the staff for poor test scores, lack of discipline, support and financial problems. Those problems start in our homes. Over 75% of ahs students are on free or reduced lunch. Why is that? No wonder there is such a lack of support for this system. What city government would be interested in pumping money into a system where the parents will not even help themselves. I am embarrased by 'all' the numbers coming out of this school system. Wake up people! get off welfare, food stamps, social services and every other service you can get for free. Get a decent job and let's starting helping our kids and our school. This is sad!

Posted June 21, 2005

There is almost no support and a GREAT need for an administrative change from the top down. It is in a downward spiral and I am not sure if anyone knows how to stop it. I would never have my child in this school system.

Posted February 28, 2005

As a parent of a child at AHS I know what is going on there. There needs to be better community support. There needs to be a new Principal and new staff. We need parents who care for the school as a whole. We also need to be more strict with the students. My child has come home telling me of the fighs and such that occur almost daily. These students who participate are not punished for their actions. The principal should take action when this happens and put his foot down.

Posted December 28, 2004

The question that we must ask ourself is what can we do for our school system and our children. We have great children in our system, yet we have allowed the system to fail our children! While we continue to allow the same administration to remain in place and there is no progress. At one time AHS was considered a top rated school with test scores to back this up with, the number of graduating seniors were well more than that of todays, and most of all the students were motivated to continue their education and become productive citizens. I ask all who read this what is being offered to our children at AHS now and please ask the leaders of this community and other parents what are we going to do about what is going on in our school system concerned parent

Posted September 11, 2004

AHS has its ups; but, it also has numerous downs. The school system is set up to fail its students, most of which are African-American. It seems to be at its breaking point. Most of its students love it and would go to no other school in the area;but, these students must struggle with a lack of community [and even administrative] support. There are [some] supportive teachers. Yet, the higher administrative staff (Board of Education) continues to make sure that the system goes down. I love the school for many different reasons;but, I would advise that you don't subject your child to that type of humiliation.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 23, 2004

I believe AHS is one of the most unsupported schools in Alabama. The school has so many problems that are somewhat unbareable to relieve. Hopefully this school year will be better than the years before, but it has already started off on the wrong foot. I wish someone with authority could take 'a sit down' in this school and see exactly all the damage that has taken place. I would not incourage anyone to place their child in this school system.

Posted April 26, 2004

Anniston High School could have a better learning environment if the teachers would take a more professional approach to the students. There are a lot of teachers in the school who actually enjoy teaching, but they are over shadowed by teachers who just want a job and a paycheck. Another problem is the lack of community support, which includes our city government. They are looking to shift the blame instead of fixing the problems surrounding the school. Our school board wants to be dictative in their dealings when it comes to parental and faculty input. Our biggest opposition comes from the local News Paper (Anniston Star), every word written is used to tear down the school. Most of the stuff written wouldn't even make the news in others cities or states. We need a stronger principal and we need to place more emphasis on student needs.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2013.

Scale: % level 3 or 4

In 2012-2013 Alabama used the Alabama Reading and Mathematics Test (ARMT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math. The ARMT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

All Studentsn/a

Not migrantn/a
Povertyn/a
Not povertyn/a
Scale: % level 3 or 4

The different student groups are identified by the Alabama Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 95% in 2013.

Language

The state average for Language was 76% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 86% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 72% in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Alabama used the Alabama High School Graduation Exam (AHSGE) to test high school students in reading, math, language, biology and social studies. High school students must pass the AHSGE in order to graduate. The AHSGE is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 98% in 2013.

Language

The state average for Language was 91% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 95% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 94% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 88% in 2013.

All Students90%

• Dr Sherron Denise Jinadu
Fax number
  • (256) 231-5069

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now