Arab, AL

Arab Primary School 4

Posted December 16, 2013
My daughter attended this school from K-2. Her teachers have been very caring, motivated individuals and have gone above and beyond for us numerous times. I have been disappointed with our experience at this school because so many children we know have been identified for ADD/ADHD and parents pressured to get the kids tested (ours included). The grading standards at this school are ridiculously high for this age bracket (80% or higher is considered passing and I find it places unnecessary stress on parents and students because it leaves so little room for adjustment. If your child doesn't catch on quickly to new concepts, I do NOT recommend this school whatsoever. APS has no qualms holding back students who do not meet the 80% standard. Our daughter had to attend summer school to be promoted because her 79% wasn't high enough. As a parent, I find the principal to be charismatic and great at sales pitches for the latest program/curriculum/method and not a very good listener when it comes to solving problems and working with parents. I feel like I am getting "yessed to death" and I find that disheartening. Parents are very close-knit and involved although somewhat cliqueish.

Posted October 09, 2009
Arab Primary School is wonderful. I am so blessed that all 3 of my girls have attended this school.

Posted August 29, 2009
We moved here recently from CA and I know no one at any of the schools and I've had no trouble at all with anyone at the Primary School. I volunteer there and Mrs Keith welcomes me any time as do the teachers. I've had many occasions to walk into different classroom unannounced and have never witnessed or overheard anything that would make me not recommend this school. The person that claims their child wasn't allowed to ask questions or go to the nurse is totally misinformed. I spent some time in the nurses office helping nurse Venita (awesome lady) and children came in continuously and most of them had nothing wrong with them at all. All they had to do was tell the teacher they didn't feel good and they were sent, I do not believe that any of the the teachers would not allow questions.

Posted October 05, 2008
Thank goodness that my kids no longer go here! They are no longer bullied by the kids that cannot be corrected because they are related to or whose parents went to school with a teacher there. They are no longer being yelled at in class where they & every other student in the class were too scared to ask a question because of the humiliation. They no longer have sit in the classroom injured because the teacher refused to send them to the nurse. They no longer have mysterious illnesses so that they don't have to go to school. They are no longer in a school that discourages parental involvement. They are now in a different school system and could not be happier. This is a wonderful website for parents to read other parent comments and make their own judgement call. I wish I had know about it before.

Posted August 26, 2008
I did not care for this school either. There were lots of cliques with the students & parents. Discipline was random. There were some good teachers there. Unfortunately, we were never assigned to them. The principal at the time did not seem to be in charge. I understand, however, that there has been another change in principals so maybe it will get better. To be honest, after 2 years, we moved so we could be in another district where the teachers seem to like to teach and where screaming at little kids is not allowed.

Arab Primary School 4

Posted August 19, 2008
I completely disagree with the parent who said that kids are treated differently if their parents are not from the area... My oldest son just started to school this year, and I have to say the APS has been great. We just recently moved to the area, and the teachers and faculty have been wonderful. It's true that the PTO does seem to hit you up for money all the time, but I think that's probably true everywhere. My kindergartener looks forward to school every day, and loves his teacher and fellow students.

Posted June 11, 2008
Please note that here has not been a recent review of this school. It is horrible! I wouldn't have ever moved to this area if I had know the city school system was only interested in money and test scores. My child loved school until starting here. I thought it would get better 'next year,' but it didn't. We moved to get into a different system. This school is all about who you know and how much money you have. You are treated differently if your parents did not go to school with the teachers and/or principals.

Posted October 29, 2007

Posted November 26, 2006
This is an excellent school. My daughter has done very well there. The academic programs are outstanding. There is a great deal of parent involvement. Sports are not available until the children move on to Elementary school; however, the Phys Ed Program is OUTSTANDING!

Posted June 18, 2006
A big thanks! Arab has been the best school choice for my children since we live in Morgan County and I will not let my kids attend Brewer. I wanted my children to play with kids they will always be with growing up and not come from a feeder school system. My daughter has went here and now my little boy. Robby has had excellent teachers and staff both years attending. Thumbs up to all of you that put pride in all that goes on at this outstanding school, Mrs. Tyler, Mrs. Pace, and whomever his second grade teacher will be I have confidence in all of you. Thanks to the past principal's and most of all now to Mr. Kitchens whom I find it difficult to call him by Mr. instead of Coach Kitchens since I played ball at Brewer while he was a coach. Have a super summer everyone.

Arab Primary School