Athens, AL

Posted May 21, 2014
My daughter attends Athens elementary school for speech. Her speech pathologist is Mrs Lewis she is wonderful, and all of the staff are welcoming! We really enjoy Athens elementary school.

Posted October 24, 2013
This is a great school! The teachers are all caring people..They need more gifted classes though. My 2nd grader's teacher does her best to keep my child challenged and my kindergartener loves her teacher and the school.

Athens Elementary School 4

Posted October 24, 2013
Athens Elementary School has been wonderful for my children. I have one child and second grade and one in kindergarten. My older child has learned what they were required to know and so much more. The faculty are wonderful the principal has been making some great changes this year that we're really thankful for including stepping up school safety. The only complaint I have about AES in the lack of funding. I wish my children had more opportunities to go on field trips and participate in out of school activities that they don't get to do because of lack of funding.

Posted September 19, 2013
I think Athens Elementary is a wonderful school. Athens, Alabama has four elementary schools, and I believe we have the best faculty out of them all. We have alot of lower income families and a very high percentage of free lunch students, but that does not hold us back. It only makes us strive to be better. Hopefully we will win the $5,000, because we desperately need it!

Posted September 18, 2013
I have 3 sons who have attended or are currently attending AES. There is a new Principal this year, Mr. Sutton and I have heard good things about him. My oldest son attended for just 1 year, his 4th grade year as we moved into the area. He had a wonderful teacher and she helped him prepare for 5th grade and on up. My 2nd son began in first grade and had an excellent teacher and then started 2nd grade, where he was diagnosed with Leukemia. He missed most of his 2nd grade school year physically, but he was provided with homebound teaching by his teacher and he passed. He is now in the 3rd grade. My last son just began Kdg. and he is enjoying it and learning many new things. The building is older, but in great condition- the staff is tremendous. They've fully supported us through my son's illness- sent him cards and packages and have always been there praying, yes and supporting our family. This school needs to be rated much higher than 6. We came from a school that rarely met AYP (annual yrly progress) to a school that always makes it- the staff works hard with all the students to help them all succeed. I'm glad my kids can attend AES!

Posted September 11, 2013
The staff is wonderful! I have had experience of knowing the staff at A.E.S. for yrs. first with my own children and then with my Grandchildren. I realize this is a title 1 school but the teachers are very passive about the education and teach well. Look at the scores!

Posted February 27, 2013
The Staff at AES is fantastic. The curriculum is very good. When my daughter started here in first grade I was concerned about sending her there. She was advanced for her age and I didn't want to slow her down. I quickly learned that it would not be and issue. She is now in 4th grade and every teacher she has had pushes her to do her personal best and has even changed her lesson plans so that she could continue at her own pace. She is an all A student and reads at a 12th grade level.

Posted September 03, 2010
This school should be rated a 9, they are one of the elite in test scores in the State of Alabama for K-4. Sure the school is a low income school, but they annihilate high income schools in the state and area in test scores, this a testament to the teaching staff and principal. My daughter had to attend K- 2nd at Athens Elementary because we lived in the area, when we moved she could have went to Julia Newman (a higher income school). My wife is a teacher and did research on schools, Athens Elementary out scored every school in the area. My daughter ended up staying at Athens Elementary, arrangement ok'd through the proper channels. At the end of 4th grade my daughter was ranked in the top 5% in the nation in test scoring, has 7th grade math & 8th grade reading levels going into 5th.

Athens Elementary School 0

Posted September 17, 2009
I love Athens Elementary School because the staff welcomes involvement of parents, grandparents, family and friends with the education of our precious children. There is a warm and welcoming environment when you walk into the building. It is an old school but it is clean and safe. We have a song about the Principal. 'Mr. Poole he's so cool, he's the Principal of our school.' I have had four granddaughters attend Athens Elementary School. I wish there were more public schools like this one.

Athens Elementary School 0

Posted September 15, 2009
Athens Elementary is a wonderful school with a fantastic staff of caring teachers. The school's principal is just an outstanding individual. With it's warm and nurturing environment, this is the best school in Athens!

Athens Elementary School
515 North Madison St, Athens, AL  35611
Last modified Athens Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Athens Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top