Bad
Good

Athens High School 1

Posted August 15, 2010
Still no separation of Church & State. Good news for you if you can stand the hypocrites. Kids get extra credit for turning in papers related to the bible, or attending the teachers church. If your kids miss school you will hear about it three weeks later via snail mail, sad in this day of email, cell phones & text messaging.

Posted June 25, 2008
The one thing to know about athens, is that the education you receive is truly what you make it. It is possible to go through the system achieving the bare minimum with no involvement outside the classroom, and I have seen many people do that. On the other hand, however, my experience was just one of the many great things to come from this outstanding school. All of the academics are well rounded (especially in the upp-level classes). The wealth of AP and Dual classes, as well as the honors classes that lead to those, are truly exceptional, as are those who teach them. As I leave AThens, I can truly say some of my favorite people are a few of my teachers over the past few year--they are always willing to help and listen as long as one has their own appropriate attitude in line. Also, the extracurriculars are astounding.

Athens High School 3

Posted January 23, 2006
I am currently a student at Athens High School. My opinion on this school year is that it has been one of the worst of all of my school years. This year many more were rules added to the handbook, not to mention the food. The food this year has been something like a low calorie diet. All the food has to be baked...no fried! They have taken all of the chips and sweets from the cafeteria. Many students (and teachers) come to school and don't eat anything for 7 hours. So if this diet plan is supposed to make us healthier, it's not working.

Posted February 27, 2005
'I am currently a senior at Athens High School. I enrolled at Athens High as a junior. It was my first time to enter a public school (apart from kindergarten.) I had no problem making friends, so I think if someone says the school is clique-ish it is his/her own problem. I have been to two private schools and have been homeschooled. Athens High is by far my favorite choice. Athens has so much more to offer than any other school I have been to, whether it be from Honors classes or the diversity of students. Every teacher I have had has given his/her best to help me with any problem I might have had. Three of my four sisters have attended Athens High School. Those three and I have received good scholarships to excellent universities b/c of our wonderful education and involvment at Athens HIgh School.'

Athens High School 4

Posted January 28, 2005
As a former student of Athens High School, I have first-hand experience of what this school offers. While I was in school I had the privelage to take Honors classes and Dual Enrollment classes (earned me college and high school credit) which challenged me and enable me to learn to my full ability. I never realized how great the teachers were until I went to college. I attented UA-Huntsville my first year, then transferred to the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. At both of these universities I was amazed at the students in my classes. Especially in my math classes. I was suprised that almost all of the students had NEVER been exposed to the basics in high school. Things I was taught in the tenth grade! I now realize what a great school AHS was. The teachers their are great & they taught us what we needed to know!

Athens High School 3

Posted October 20, 2004
This school is still in 1970, the attitude, text books, computers are outdated. The school is very clickish and if you are not from there,you are not accepted. Taunting is accepted. Out not recommend this school to anyone coming from outside the area. No separation of religion/school/state, very old fashioned in views.

Posted April 20, 2004
I've moved around a lot, and I've been to quite a few high schools. I went to a county school my first year in AL: big mistake. Then, I transferred to Athens, and it is by far the best school I've ever attended. As a whole, the school gives children so many opportunities to excel through both college preperatory and vocational/tech school classes. Children also have the option of taking dual enrollment classes so that they can earn college credit while still in high school. They also offer a wide variety of sports and clubs. Athens also has an incredible faculty. I've never met so many teachers who really cared about their students. Many of them actually influenced my decision to become a teacher.

Athens High School
100 Hwy 31 North, Athens, AL  35611
Last modified Athens High School is a Public school that serves grades 8-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.