East Limestone High School

Public | 6-12

Posted May 1, 2013

I have heard so many good things about East Limestone High. I am glad my children will be able to attend in the next few years!

Posted February 1, 2012

The teachers and coaches here are just putting in time so they can retire and help there children in sports if they are the coaches. There is a lot of politics going on in the school and it is run down terribly. Seems there not putting any money into the school!

Posted September 3, 2010

Me and my wife have nieces that go to ELHS, 1 graduated this last year the other just started 6th grade there. My wife is a teacher (in another school system) and has had to straighten out my nieces schedule last year, a friend of hers and her boy friends (who is attending ELHS this year) schedules for graduation. The counselors at ELHS are not up to date on new state policies and what is required for graduation and I have seen first hand my wife having to tell parents (of students that go to ELHS) new state policies so there kids could be put into the right classes to be on track for graduation. Counselors at ELHS have no clue whats going on. We were going to move into the school system, but have decided to move elsewhere after experiencing the problems first hand.

Posted June 27, 2009

I am a freshman at ELHS and I believe that the funds are not distrubuted equally. The football and cheerleading programs are given more money that any other activity. I know especially the band is in debt. It seems to me that the most important thing to this school isn't academics but sports, namely football.

Posted April 27, 2009

I am in 6th grade at East, and it is an awesome school. Both the athletics and sports program are one of the best in the state

Posted December 26, 2008

I am an eighth grader at East and am in athletics and I love it. I mean,we might not have the best of things but it's cool.

Posted October 16, 2008

I am in the eighth grade at East Limestone Middle School. Even though ELMS doesn't have the best quality school buiding, they do the best they can with what they have! I just moved there and I was very worried about making friends and fitting in. But everyone is so warm and welcoming! That is why I am looking forward to the next four years in High School there!! Thanks- a student.(:

Posted September 11, 2008

I have 2 children in East - one in Middle School and one in High School. I believe the system is doing its best with what it has available for them. Both of my kids have gone to East Limestone schools since Kindergarten.

Posted January 7, 2008

East Limestone High School is an outstanding and phenomenal facility. Compared to the other high schools in Limestone County, East Limestone is arguably the best. I would recommend this school to anyone looking for a good education.

Posted October 29, 2007

I went to East limstone 4th-12th grade i just graduated May of 2007 i liked it there, my senior year was the best, yeah the school needs some work but as long as the kids get there education thats all that should matter.

Posted October 28, 2007

My daughter started at East for her 10th grade year this year. She came from a private school and was behind in credits. She is catching up this year and loving it. She is fitting right in. The teachers and the support staff are all great. The positive change in our daughter is remarkable. The kids have really welcomed her in with open arms. Looking forward to the next 2 years.

Posted September 2, 2007

East Limestone is the best county school Limestone County has to offer.

Posted October 11, 2005

I am a former student of East Limestone School. I attended East Limestone from K-12. The school is your typical county school--mediocre academic syllabus, mediocre teaching, etc. Thankfully, my husband and I have moved our daughter from the East Limestone area.

Posted July 22, 2005

I moved my children from the Madison School System and I couldn't be more happy with my decision. The attention that is given to the students and parents is wonderful. You could not ask for a more dedicated Principal or Teachers.

Posted April 9, 2005

I am a 1997 ELHS gradute. And I still loves those Indians!! Still to this day can't imagine growing up anywhere else. Our teachers/coaches worked hard everyday not only to educate us but to instill family values, morales, and a sense of community in all of us. I was a varsity cheerleader/softball player from the time that I was in the 8th grade unitl I graduated. Still to this day some of my best memories are of being on that football field on friday nights, and playing ball on those hot summer days. It still amazes me how much my teachers/coaches truly cared about us. I still come home for friday night games and my old teahers/coaches call me by name, hug me, and ask how my family is doing. I am proud to be an Indian, and one day I will have my own little Indians. GO INDIANS!! K. Thomas

Posted January 20, 2005

Our children went to private schools in this area before attending ELHS. Academically ELHS is just as good as the private schools. When dealing with admin, teachers, and discipline, we found ELHS to be a better school. The quality of the individual attention and the concern of the teachers/admin staff makes ELHS a safe and well-balanced environment for any student. My children have developed a fondness for academics, eagerness to be involved in school activities, and career goals that far excel normal expectations. This is the public school system's answer to those looking for private school education. Parent involvement is at the same level as with other public and most private schools - you always have the group that does most of it. My children have attend several private schools in the past - they will graduate from the best - ELHS!

Posted December 8, 2004

We tried East Limestone with our children for a few years. It's like any other Government school. It's purpose is to train and condition for a predetermined outcome, not to educate. There's a vast difference between training / conditioning and a quality education. Moving to Madison County won't help because it's the school system, not the location. Better buildings won't help your children. It's the Government school system that's the problem. Remember, the Government can't even balance a check book. Do you really want to trust your children to them? My advice, find a good quality private school. I live in the East Limestone district but drive my Children to a good private school in Huntsville everyday. Try giving of yourself for a change. It will take lot's of your money and time. But remember, your children spell love TIME. That means YOU and YOUR TIME and resources. Good luck.

Posted November 16, 2004

I attended East Limestone from K-12. I agree that the school buildings are old and in need of serious repairs. The teachers, for the most part, are wonderful and if the student is there to learn the academics are there. The buildings are not going to fall in anytime soon (with the exception of the old gym) and the school needs more money for more classes. The students are in a great need for diffrent class other than PE for an elective. I will not knock the faculty because they do the best with what they are given to provide as much education as possible.

Posted July 20, 2004

Of course the school is need of repair as are many other schools in the area. East Limestone is a fast growing area with a great influx of new students every year, but unless people are willing to pay higher property taxes or raise money for a new school there is certainly no funding available. Overall I am very please with E. Limestone in comparison to other county or city schools. If you want your children to attend brand new schools, then pay the price to live in Madison and send them there. Otherwise I say let's keep the old school and work toward a better curriculum for our children.

Posted June 13, 2004

I concur that the school is in need or repair. There is so much revenue growth in new construction of houses, and influx of new residents. I just moved to the area and I am trying my best to find a different school for my children to attend. The administration seems to not understand the fact that environmental surrounding does play a role in academics. Children to be focused on their work and accomplishments, not the deterioration of the school. Prisons look better than E. Limestone School.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2012.

181 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2012.

181 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % level 3 or 4

In 2011-2012 Alabama used the Alabama Reading and Mathematics Test (ARMT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math. The ARMT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2012.

174 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2012.

174 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2012.

171 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2012.

170 students were tested at this school in 2012.

All Students72%

Non-migrant88%
Poverty83%
Non-poverty89%
Scale: % level 3 or 4

The different student groups are identified by the Alabama Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students58%

Proficient in English83%
Non-migrant83%
Poverty69%

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2012.

169 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % level 3 or level 4

In 2011-2012 Alabama used the Alabama Science Assessment (ASA) to test students in grades 5 and 7 in science. The ASA is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficiency level 3.

All Students80%
Poverty63%
Non-poverty86%
Scale: % level 3 or level 4

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 95% in 2012.

Language

The state average for Language was 75% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2009.

n/a
Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 71% in 2012.

Scale: % passing

In 2011-2012 Alabama used the Alabama High School Graduation Exam (AHSGE) to test high school students in reading, math, language, biology and social studies. High school students must pass the AHSGE in order to graduate. The AHSGE is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 98% in 2012.

Language

The state average for Language was 90% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 95% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 94% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 94% in 2009.

135 students were tested at this school in 2009.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 90% in 2012.

All Students99%

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 24%N/A56%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

15641 East Limestone Rd