Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Posted April 18, 2016
My daughter attends OGHS and has done great work. Above 30 ACT with above 4.0 GPA. These teachers are doing something right.

Posted May 23, 2014
This school is such a joke. The only teacher I have had ACTUALLY TEACH ME was the 8th grade math teacher. This school is good for the kids that are gonna work on a farm or at Mcdonalds.

Posted October 15, 2013
I am a student at Oak Grove, and I highly recommend parents not send their children to this school. I should point out that many students who graduate from Jefferson County schools with honors are not successful in college. Many teachers are compassionate, but others spoil what good those teachers do. One teacher in particular (I will not give a name)bullies his students, making several cry. I remember one instance he told a student she wasn't worth the oxygen she was breathing. Another teacher, literature teacher, told my class he would rather have bamboo shoots shoved beneath his fingernails that speak of women's literature prior to 1900. I (since my favorite subject is literature and was apppalled by this)switched to an access course. It was a normal level course as opposed to the AP literature I was taking. But this course is exponentially more difficult than the course my peers are taking. I have written several (multi-page) essays on works such as "Self-Reliance" By Henry David Thoreau . They have written one single page essay on To Kill a Mockingbird, which I've heard they did poorly one due to lack of instruction.I intend on escaping soon. For the sake of your child not OG

Oak Grove High School 2

Posted June 18, 2013
I attend oak grove. From a students point of view it's fun. We watch movies in one of my classes alot. It's changed alot in the last years. We don't do much and there's only a few teachers that actually teach. Middle school part was good but everybody I know who is in college and graduated from oak grove is struggling. They do not prepair you for college. It's not strict and kids get away with alot. In school we mainly just play on our phones because we have nothing to do and the teachers don't care. The students are nice and really cool and there's good social life. Just not very educational and I know this sounds normal coming from a student but send your kid to oak grove. You will see what I mean.

Oak Grove High School 3

Posted April 29, 2012
I go to Oak Grove and it's a nice school and I like it some teachers are amazing while others.....well they do their job to as low a standard as possible to get paid.Although as I stated earlier some of the teachers go above and beyond.Especially my eighth grade teacher Mrs.Powers she was an amazing teacher so if you have a child in the eighth grade they will fall in love with her class!

Posted July 22, 2009
My son graduated from Oak Grove High School two years ago and he did very well. Yes I agree there are some teachers there that need to retire or find another career. But there are also a lot of teachers that care. He is in his second year of college and doing very well.

Posted July 21, 2009
All of my children attended OGHS. Two of the them finished college, one graduating summa cum laude. They received a better than average education at Oak Grove. My third child will finish college in another two years. I am proud of the school and its teachers.

Posted May 22, 2009
My kids are students at this school and yes, there are some teachers there who are tenure and are there for a check. There is nothing that the administration can do about their employment. If you check anywhere, all schools have teachers who are like this. Oak Grove is a wonderful school! The members of administration are always available to answer your calls and questions. They are more than fair and each one of them treats each student as they would their own child. My kids transferred to OG from another highschool 2 years ago and this was the best move that we have ever made! I recommend this school to everyone!!!

Posted May 21, 2009
My friend and I attend Oak Grove High School and we would not change for the world. This School has a good attletic department even though were not that good at them jk well we disagree with all the other reviews. Most of them state that we are a very bad school yes i do agree that some of the teachers should have really thought about what career they wanted to go in to b/c its definatly not teaching.

Posted January 29, 2009
This schools teachers are there to get their check and go home most of them are lazy and dont care about you learning but their money their are like a handfull of good teachers they come up with more ways to make school a great experience for you but most of them put notes on the board and say copy them this is not the best school

9494 Oak Grove Parkway, Bessemer, AL  35023
Last modified Oak Grove High School is a Public school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.