Oak Mt Elementary School

Public | K-3

Posted March 7, 2014

Average school. Great parent support, but lots of changes are needed. I noticed that there haven't been any updates done on a regular basis to the building outside or inside. OMES seems to be behind the times in all areas; technology, safety, and teaching. The classes are very large and teachers seem overwhelmed and kids are bored. This school used to be the best in Shelby County and still has great potential, but many improvements are needed. I hope they can make changes soon.

Posted August 8, 2010

OMES is a wonderful school and I cannot believe that there are ANY negative comments about the school or faculty. The leadership is stern when needed but very loving and caring. If you get involved and know what is going on with your child, then I can't imagine you would have anything to complain about. I couldn't ask for a better public school system.

Posted April 27, 2010

OMES has a staff of professionals who follow the golden rule - treating colleagues, parents and students with respect. From the administration on down, everyone is there for the purpose of helping create happy, successful, well-rounded children.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 28, 2009

If your child dose not fall in the ' normal learning range' you are out of luck. My child is very intelligent and was not challenged enough this year. My child instead had to sit a table with children who didn't speak english and had to help them learn english and read. It was a waste of 9 months for my child who should have been learning something new.

Posted July 31, 2008

Overall, it's a very good school. However, it's very rigid and not ideal for all tyes of learners. Have an exceptionally bright child? She'll be bored out of her mind, at least until the gifted and talented program offered in third grade. Kindergarden features a ridiculously long day (8 am - 3 pm) so much of the work is a repetitive drill with mundane worksheets. Also, if your child acts at all out of line (as in literally stepping out of line during hall line up, or touching a wall, or talking too loudly, or other typical kindergartner stuff) they get put on the 'no fun bench' during playground time (a school-wide policy), thereby making the pent-up energy even worse so the rest of the day is harder still for her. Very nice teachers (kind, loving, supportive), very strict code for behavior that they have to implement.

Posted July 10, 2008

My daughter is about to start the third grade at OMES. This is a wonderful school. The teachers are firm, but not too strict. They keep the parents very informed. The best thing is that they really focus on making learning fun. She has loved the first 3 years there and is looking forward to 3rd grade.

Posted May 27, 2008

OMES is a wonderful school! My son just finished his first year there and we were very pleased. At the beginning of the kindergarten year, the school held an assembly so that all of the parents could meet the teachers and the principal, vice principal , PTO pres. etc. At this assembly the Vice Principal also went over the bus schedule in depth so that we would all feel comfortable putting our little ones on the buses. The academics have been great for our son. He has been challenged, while at the same time having a fun environment in which to learn. All of the teachers are very caring, my son lost his first tooth on the last day of school and was given a plastic tooth to wear around his neck with the tooth inside and a sticker that read 'I lost my first tooth'

Posted April 25, 2008

I think that this is a great school. The only problem that I have had with it is the after school program. It is ran by a group of high school students, and my son is always getting hurt because they don't pay attention to what the kids are doing, wrestling, fighting, etc. I am hoping that he will not have to go to this program again next year. As far as the school goes, my son's kindergarten teacher is wonderful and the staff as a whole seem to be very good to the children. The school is very big though, and my husband and I would rather our child attend a smaller school. I can attest that the lunch room food is horrible, and send my child's lunch every day so that he will eat!

Posted March 25, 2008

This is the end of my first year teachinig at OMES. I was disappointed to read some of the reviews from years past. I do not know the teaching styles of each teacher, but I can personally say that my students work above grade level in every aspect of our day. My teaching practices revolve around the students. I use their interests and knowledge to guide everything I present to them. They are hooked on learning and cannot wait to learn more each day. I am continually amazed by their brilliance. Through these student-centered lessons and activities, we are able to incorporate technology and other resources. We rarely get out the math book or do worksheets. I am so blessed to be able to teach in a school with so many resources available to students and teachers. This is an ideal school for all types of learners.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 4, 2007

Our son is in kindergarten and we love this school. Everyone there loves the children. They care greatly about the children in all aspects not just academically. Out son is learning a lot and there are a lot of ways for parents to be involved at school. The school has a lot of parents involved which adds greatly to the school's success. We frequently get emails and letters sent home letting us know what is going on at school. The teacher has email so we have great communication with her. She emails us right back if we are asking questions. I highly recommend this school to anyone.

Posted August 3, 2005

We have two children who have attended OMES. We found that while no school is perfect, OMES is excellent. Our experience with the principal and adminstrative staff was excellent. The principal is a excellent administrator who really cares about her students. I cant say enough good things about her, she runs a great program. The faculty is excellent overall and with both of our children their teachers were of the highest caliber.

Posted February 3, 2005

Our oldest daughter has dyslexia and ADHD. We moved to OMES school district because we heard they are one of the best schools in Alabama. I am glad to say we heard right. Not only has my daughter came up from a first grade first semester reading level to a second grade reading level in one semester,but our youngest child, three years old, has a problem with speach, and they are now working to help her. If you are looking for a school that cares whether their students are successful, then OMES is the place.

Posted January 21, 2005

We recently moved to Shelby County so that our children could attend one of the 'better schools' in the area. Frankly, I was quite dissapointed with the way that this school welcomes new students and families. There is no new student orientation (at least not that I was informed of), we never received any type of packet before school started informing new parents of information that would have been very useful. The faculty that I have encountered seem to busy to get to know new parents and students. There is an extreme lack of comunication between faculty and parents (unless they are asking for money!) I have no idea what is going on at this school or even in my childrens classroom on a daily basis. So, if your looking for a 'good school' but don't want to be involved in daily activities, this is the school for you.

Posted February 13, 2004

This is a clean, well-equipped school with many traditional teachers. They rely on schedules, structure and conformity in the classroom. Lots of modeling ('make yours look like this') and stacks of boring, pointless worksheets. My son is buying into it, but I know there's a better way. Overall, OMES is clean and run by the book, but offers a very controlled environment. Conservative traditionalists love it, but this school hasn't discovered the ways that kids learn best. They're still relying on the ways that teachers/administrators can maintain order, control a predictable environment, and turn out a few more 'well-trained' kids. Nice SAT scores, if that's what you're after.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

2013

2011

2010

Reading

The state average for Reading was 87% in 2013.

2013

2011

2010

Scale: % level 3 or 4

In 2012-2013 Alabama used the Alabama Reading and Mathematics Test (ARMT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math. The ARMT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Source: Alabama Department of Education

Not migrant95%
Poverty82%
Not poverty97%
Scale: % level 3 or 4

The different student groups are identified by the Alabama Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Alabama Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 15%N/A56%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

5640 Cahaba Valley Rd