Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Posted January 05, 2016
We absolutely love Oak Mountain schools! We are so blessed to be apart of this community of solid families and incredible teachers and staff. I would not choose any other school for my kids. They are challenged and nurtured in every way.

Posted February 16, 2015
We bought our current home so we could be zoned for OMES. We have a friend on the state school board who told us this is the 2nd best elementary school in the state, and he is right (the first is in another part of the state). We have made several friends since moving here who teach at local schools, and they all agree -- even those who teach at rival elementary schools. We have already sent one child through OMES (in the GRC program), and have another enrolled there now.

Oak Mt Elementary School 3

Posted March 07, 2014
Average school. Great parent support, but lots of changes are needed. I noticed that there haven't been any updates done on a regular basis to the building outside or inside. OMES seems to be behind the times in all areas; technology, safety, and teaching. The classes are very large and teachers seem overwhelmed and kids are bored. This school used to be the best in Shelby County and still has great potential, but many improvements are needed. I hope they can make changes soon.

Posted August 08, 2010
OMES is a wonderful school and I cannot believe that there are ANY negative comments about the school or faculty. The leadership is stern when needed but very loving and caring. If you get involved and know what is going on with your child, then I can't imagine you would have anything to complain about. I couldn't ask for a better public school system.

Posted April 27, 2010
OMES has a staff of professionals who follow the golden rule - treating colleagues, parents and students with respect. From the administration on down, everyone is there for the purpose of helping create happy, successful, well-rounded children.

Posted June 28, 2009
If your child dose not fall in the ' normal learning range' you are out of luck. My child is very intelligent and was not challenged enough this year. My child instead had to sit a table with children who didn't speak english and had to help them learn english and read. It was a waste of 9 months for my child who should have been learning something new.

Oak Mt Elementary School 4

Posted July 31, 2008
Overall, it's a very good school. However, it's very rigid and not ideal for all tyes of learners. Have an exceptionally bright child? She'll be bored out of her mind, at least until the gifted and talented program offered in third grade. Kindergarden features a ridiculously long day (8 am - 3 pm) so much of the work is a repetitive drill with mundane worksheets. Also, if your child acts at all out of line (as in literally stepping out of line during hall line up, or touching a wall, or talking too loudly, or other typical kindergartner stuff) they get put on the 'no fun bench' during playground time (a school-wide policy), thereby making the pent-up energy even worse so the rest of the day is harder still for her. Very nice teachers (kind, loving, supportive), very strict code for behavior that they have to implement.

Posted July 10, 2008
My daughter is about to start the third grade at OMES. This is a wonderful school. The teachers are firm, but not too strict. They keep the parents very informed. The best thing is that they really focus on making learning fun. She has loved the first 3 years there and is looking forward to 3rd grade.

Posted May 27, 2008
OMES is a wonderful school! My son just finished his first year there and we were very pleased. At the beginning of the kindergarten year, the school held an assembly so that all of the parents could meet the teachers and the principal, vice principal , PTO pres. etc. At this assembly the Vice Principal also went over the bus schedule in depth so that we would all feel comfortable putting our little ones on the buses. The academics have been great for our son. He has been challenged, while at the same time having a fun environment in which to learn. All of the teachers are very caring, my son lost his first tooth on the last day of school and was given a plastic tooth to wear around his neck with the tooth inside and a sticker that read 'I lost my first tooth'

Posted April 25, 2008
I think that this is a great school. The only problem that I have had with it is the after school program. It is ran by a group of high school students, and my son is always getting hurt because they don't pay attention to what the kids are doing, wrestling, fighting, etc. I am hoping that he will not have to go to this program again next year. As far as the school goes, my son's kindergarten teacher is wonderful and the staff as a whole seem to be very good to the children. The school is very big though, and my husband and I would rather our child attend a smaller school. I can attest that the lunch room food is horrible, and send my child's lunch every day so that he will eat!

5640 Cahaba Valley Rd, Birmingham, AL  35242
Last modified Oak Mt Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-3. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.