Bad
Good

Amount of homework: Disagree

Not enough as in none - ever. How do you practice without homework? Also, not enough info was ever sent home for the parents to know what was being taught.

I HATED our time here. The teacher was fine, and the other parents were great. The administration, on the other hand, were sheer h*ll to work with. We transferred in just before christmas, but finished the year. I couldn't get out of the district quickly enough. I considered homeschooling her countless times while we were there. The lack of tests and homework were concerning. For all the good said about OM schools, and the bad about Memphis schools, I can honestly say her education at OMES wasn't half as good as what she had here. That said, the building was immaculate, and the food was good.

We absolutely love Oak Mountain schools! We are so blessed to be apart of this community of solid families and incredible teachers and staff. I would not choose any other school for my kids. They are challenged and nurtured in every way.

We bought our current home so we could be zoned for OMES. We have a friend on the state school board who told us this is the 2nd best elementary school in the state, and he is right (the first is in another part of the state). We have made several friends since moving here who teach at local schools, and they all agree -- even those who teach at rival elementary schools. We have already sent one child through OMES (in the GRC program), and have another enrolled there now.

Average school. Great parent support, but lots of changes are needed. I noticed that there haven't been any updates done on a regular basis to the building outside or inside. OMES seems to be behind the times in all areas; technology, safety, and teaching. The classes are very large and teachers seem overwhelmed and kids are bored. This school used to be the best in Shelby County and still has great potential, but many improvements are needed. I hope they can make changes soon.

OMES is a wonderful school and I cannot believe that there are ANY negative comments about the school or faculty. The leadership is stern when needed but very loving and caring. If you get involved and know what is going on with your child, then I can't imagine you would have anything to complain about. I couldn't ask for a better public school system.

OMES has a staff of professionals who follow the golden rule - treating colleagues, parents and students with respect. From the administration on down, everyone is there for the purpose of helping create happy, successful, well-rounded children.

If your child dose not fall in the ' normal learning range' you are out of luck. My child is very intelligent and was not challenged enough this year. My child instead had to sit a table with children who didn't speak english and had to help them learn english and read. It was a waste of 9 months for my child who should have been learning something new.

Overall, it's a very good school. However, it's very rigid and not ideal for all tyes of learners. Have an exceptionally bright child? She'll be bored out of her mind, at least until the gifted and talented program offered in third grade. Kindergarden features a ridiculously long day (8 am - 3 pm) so much of the work is a repetitive drill with mundane worksheets. Also, if your child acts at all out of line (as in literally stepping out of line during hall line up, or touching a wall, or talking too loudly, or other typical kindergartner stuff) they get put on the 'no fun bench' during playground time (a school-wide policy), thereby making the pent-up energy even worse so the rest of the day is harder still for her. Very nice teachers (kind, loving, supportive), very strict code for behavior that they have to implement.

My daughter is about to start the third grade at OMES. This is a wonderful school. The teachers are firm, but not too strict. They keep the parents very informed. The best thing is that they really focus on making learning fun. She has loved the first 3 years there and is looking forward to 3rd grade.

Last modified Oak Mt Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-3. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.