No rating

Our Lady Of Sorrows

Private | PK-8

Living in Birmingham

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $187,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $790.

Posted July 7, 2013

Our children are at or have graduated from OLS. My wife was a student when she was a kid. Wonderful environment. Conservative Catholic School. Most affordable of the over the mountain catholic schools. Art, Music, Computer ( Windows, Mac, iPad environment), Religion, even a full time Counselor. Can't say enough good things about the Principal and the teachers. The 2 kindergarten teachers are as good as any in the USA.

Posted April 23, 2013

We are having a great experience at OLS. I haven't heard that any children feel "out of place," unlike the comment of one parent on here. I hate that the parent had that experience, but my child is dyslexic, and he had received nothing but encouragement.

Posted March 25, 2013

I attended OLS for ten years and it really prepared me for the next level. The primary goal of the teachers is the success of the students. It is not overcrowded and has just an overall friendly atmosphere. When you leave the school you leave with a better understanding of your faith as well as respect for all life. There is no issue with racism. I myself am catholic but when i started at ols i attended a protestant church. The teachers just taught about the catholic faith so well i just wanted to be a part of it. He point i am trying to make is that it is a great place to be even if you are not catholic.

Posted December 30, 2012

If, four years ago, the principal of my first choice school had not arbitrarily decided that being raised by grandparents meant a student was behind, we would not have discovered OLS. I have custody of two grandsons, now in the 1st and 3rd grades. I spend a minimum of two hours every weekday driving from an area with poor public schools transporting my grandsons to and from OLS. My guys are doing amazing. Somehow OLS makes a challenging curriculum seem almost easy. I attribute it to the amazing teachers and counselor, and especially the principal at OLS. My guys are not perfect, one is ADD and the other is classic cant-sit-still ADHD. They fit in and are in Cub Scouts and play basketball through OLS. The school encourages parent participation and parent volunteers enhance the quality of the school. I like that it has a somewhat culturally diverse student population. Private school is a huge sacrifice for us but we feel education is extremely important for our grandsons' future. If our financial situation gets to the point we can no longer send our children there, I know that they have a strong foundation to build upon that they would not have had without OLS.

Posted February 1, 2011

EXCELLENT school! I attended OLS for 10 years, and I enjoyed every second of my time there. As each day passes, I realize more and more that the education I received at OLS was far superior than anything I could have learned at another school. THANK YOU to the amazing faculty, staff, and administration for giving me the proper foundation to succeed in life.

Posted February 13, 2009

Both my daughters started Pre-K and are now in 8th and 5th grade. We have been very pleased w/ the school. It is a special environment w/ the perfect blend of academics, spirituality, sports and community. Our kids, teachers, principal and parents are a 'team'. You should visit and see for yourself.

Posted December 9, 2008

I have had my children at OLS for 8yrs now. I love that the school is small enough that everyone knows their name. I also like the network of parents that are always watching out for each others kids. I feel that my children are very safe here and are growing academically and spiritually.

Posted December 9, 2008

I currently have 4 children enrolled at Our Lady of Sorrows School and one who has graduated. I would have my children no where else. The spiritual atmosphere is evident the minute you walk in the door. I have witnessed continued academic achievement and personal responsibility grow with each of my children due to this nurturing environment. The teachers and principal make every effort to reach out to each individual child and support their needs. The parental network is amazingly supportive. It is truly a family atmosphere.

Posted December 9, 2008

I have had (3) children go to OLS over the past 21 years. One is doing front-line research at Auburn University, one is at Alabama on a national merit finalist, and the other graduates this year. Each of these children got an excellent K-8 education at OLS. People who care for and about your child make the difference.

Posted June 20, 2006

OLS is a wonderful place for children to grow academically and spiritually. The academics are top rate, challenging each student to reach his/her potential. The addition of the Atrium for the young children has enhanced the already strong spiritual aspect of the curriculum. The teachers are happy and seem to love what they do. A strong PTO that encourages volunteerism adds to the family atmosphere so evident at OLS. The school liturgies are amazing.

Posted May 31, 2006

My daughter attended this school for approximately 2/3 of the school year. They had so many days off I found it hard to meet my responsibilities at work. They were out for spring break (AEA) for one week, returned to school for one week then were out for another week for their teachers conference in Atlanta. Tuition is $419 per month plus $60 for food, snacks not included, and $7 a day for after care. Some odds and ends and the total cost is $620 per month. You should also expect numerous fliers asking for money. The 'playground' is a 30 foot square play yard with no shade and black tar/chriso chips that stain your clothes (white shoes and white uniform shirts). Overall, this expensive school can be stressful for your child(if they don't 'fit in') and has questionable teachers, cirriculum and required in-school mass (even for non-Catholic students).

Posted January 5, 2006

It is a good school if your kids fit in. But if they have any kind of minor problem, such as finishing classwork slower than the other kids, you will have problems. My daughter attended for a couple of years. None of the other girls would play with her.

Posted February 19, 2005

They were too nosey and they told all the parents to be ware of my child.

Posted February 23, 2004

This is a great school. I have three children currently enrolled at OLS. I have been very impressed with the academic and relegious education. The parents are very involved. The tuition is also very reasonable. Come visit one and you will see why there is no place like Our Lady of Sorrows.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 22, 2003

This is a wonderful school with high academic and moral standards.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 1%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Birmingham

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1720 Oxmoor Road