John Carroll Catholic High School

Private | 9-12

Living in Birmingham

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $187,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $790.

Sweep tile

Posted December 6, 2013

As a former student I believe I received a very good education at John Carroll however I think I could have received the same education at one of the better public schools in the city. I have three sons and I am not sure I will be sending any of them to JCCHS. Unfortunately, the education here comes with a very snotty attitude and a group of stuck up groups only money can buy you into. Also, I found even the most talented cheerleaders were refused entry unless mommy and daddy had big bucks. Even student counsel was a buy-your-way-onto position that only the spoiled rotten kids won. Do your children and yourselves a favor. Unless your are richer than God they teach about, send your kids to Vestavia, Mountain Brook, or other comparable schools.

Posted August 19, 2012

My daughter just started her senior year at John Carroll. She said the kids were very stuck up.The first day was half day and a lot of the kids were going to Moes. My daughter goes and not one J.C student ask her to join them to eat, or even talk to her. She sat and ate by herself. She attended school the next 3 days. It was the same situation. She tried to engage in conversation with the students, but they were not receptive. Prior to J.C. she went to a private catholic high school in New England. The tuition is double the cost of J.C. She attended school with many multi-million dollar families and celebrity's kids. Never did anyone treat her the way J.C. Kids did. I'm very disappointed in this Catholic School. This is not the Southern Hosipitiality I grew up with in Alabama.

Posted August 9, 2012

John Carroll is a stellar school if your child is driven academically. If you have an average student, the school curently is, in my opinion, not worth the tuition. The only benefit of JCCHS in that scenario is the extra religious instruction and faith based activities - but for less than the tuition, you can provide that through your home parish and household activities (and should be anyway if you are Catholic). I disagree with the other poster that the school buildings are subpar. They are average. The athletics are not bad, but they are obviously not the primary focus and, in my opinion, should not be the focus of *any* educational institution. Honestly, those at the school who are too athletics driven are the main problems there. The kids and families who are mainly focused on education and faith are the best, and JCCHS should really do more to build that core by encouraging and supporting and promoting parent/student activities linked to faith and educational success.

Posted July 15, 2012

Its a great academic school, but not a very strong athletic program, the facilities are sub-par at best, and the instruction from coaches does not provide a strong base for your scholar athlete to be prepared for competitive college sports, the program is declining and isn't what i would consider a state championship contender in anything except soccer. Understandably being an academic school, athletics isn't a top priority. A desire to win and a competitive strong work ethic is nearly non-existent in most of the athletes and there is no leadership. Also the support from the student and faculty fan base is one of indifference. School spirit and morale in sports isn't strong and the school doesn't provide the neccesities for a athlete to excel in one's sport. In my personal opinion, John Carroll isn't the place to send your son or daughter if they have a potential and a promising carreer in college athletics.

Posted August 3, 2011

I have had 1 child complete all four years at JCCHS and 4 more to come. We "do not have a lot of money" but do not mind the sacrifice it takes to send our children there. My children are blessed to have made many friends outside of JC and THERE IS A DIFFERENCE. All teenagers have the same pressures and attitudes, don't get me wrong. But the kids at Carroll tend to be more compassionate with one another as the love of Christ is exemplified in there everyday teachings, not only at home but at school as well! Of course there are teachers that may not be perfect, but that will be ANYWHERE you choose to attend. It is a lesson our children must learn because when they hit the real world, there will definitely be personalities that they will have to know how to deal with. As for academics, they are SO prepared for college and the preparation process through counseling is very thorough. I would recommend JC to ALL. Teaching our children that paying a little extra for morals, values and the graces they receive through Mass, Service, Adoration and prayer is so much more rewarding than spending that money on a bigger home or finer car...Christ led a simple life.

Posted June 18, 2011

I went to JCCHS for 4 years, and I loved every minute. It is an EXCELLENT school!

Posted March 26, 2007

I attended JC in the late 80's. I transferred in from a smaller school where, ironically, I was allowed to slip between the cracks. The staff and administration at JC made all the difference in the world. I was a mildly troubled kid who simply needed a positive environment where encouragement was the norm, and elitism was rare.

Posted September 25, 2006

One of the finest high schools in the south... John Carroll has a rich, storied, tradition unparalleled by most high schools...coupled with teachers who actually care about the education, well-being, and development of their students, John Carroll is among the elite of high schools in the south, if not the entire country.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 29, 2006

I went to John Carroll for 4 long years. It was the worst time of my life. JC is a great school to send your kids to if you have money. If you have money you will get a great education, if you don't have money go somewhere else. You'll be a lot happier.

Posted September 24, 2004

Sending our child to John Carroll Catholic High School, which was her choice endorsed my us, was the best thing we did for our child's academic and leadership preparation for college. A senior this year, John Carroll has provided a competitive academic and leadership environment that caused her to grow, glow as she excelled in academics, responsibility, volunteerism, sports teambuilding , diversity building, oration skills and exercise of the fruit of the Holy Spirit. Students smile a lot at John Carroll. Take a visit and just look at the students as they interact with each other in 'The Commons'. That's what I did when I took my child on an initial tour. The students possess some type of euphoria that's catching and makes you smile as you watch them. My child 'caught the Spirit', had a good attitude, stayed focused on her personal goals and excelled. Thank God for John Carroll.

Posted February 23, 2004

John Carroll is average at best. The $5,500 per year for tuition is entirely too much money for the education received. We have three children high school age or older, one who graduated from there, one who we removed after his sophomore year, and a third who just did not want to go there. Basically, the school is main stream only. If you have a child who has any type of learning disability, this is not the place for them. They do not have the funds for special education teachers or the facilities to assist children with ADD, etc. Granted all school have there good and bad points but the bad points that I have found prevalent at JC is that they cater to the parents/children of those that have plenty of money and give to their trust/scholarship funds on a regular basis. Should you live in the inner city and can not afford to go there but your child is an athlete, contact JC and you will probably get a free ride . The education for those children is probably far better than what they would have received in the inner City schools. These comments are more than opinion; they are what I have experienced with my own children.

Posted September 9, 2003

Where else in Alabama do you have a school that has produced a Heisman Trophy and Nobel Prize Winner? John Carroll Catholic has done both! As a parent, I can attest that John Carroll Catholic offers its students an excellent education, both academically and morally. As a public school teacher myself, there is a great difference in the education my children have received at John Carroll and there is not a moment that I am not thankful they are there.

Posted August 10, 2003

I enjoyed my time at JC because the learning atmosphere was friendly. I felt no peer pressure and the only competing that a person did was to see who got the highest test score. It is a conducive atmosphere to learning and I will always remember fondly the years I spent at John Carroll catholic high school.

Asian 1% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Birmingham

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

300 Lakeshore Pkwy