Posted June 03, 2014
I have a just-graduated senior, and a second child currently attending JCCHS. One of my children is special needs, so I think my experience is pretty broad. First of all this is a good school, run by good, Christian people who emphasize building the moral side of students. My experience has been that they will do the right thing. The biggest issue I have with the school is the high turnover rate, which tends to bring in too many young, inexperienced teachers. Those teachers can wreck a kid's GPA. They know one way to teach, and lack the confidence to try other approaches than the one they were taught in college. Of course, there are exceptions--but in general I've found this to be the case. JCCHS is a good environment, but don't expect it to be perfect. There is a little bit of everything you'd see in any other high school--the difference being that the administration has more options to deal with it. Academically, I am convinced the graduates are better prepared than many from the public school system. In the class of 2014 there were over $9 million in scholarships offered. My child received a full tuition scholarship and graduated with an advanced degree and high honors.

Posted December 06, 2013
As a former student I believe I received a very good education at John Carroll however I think I could have received the same education at one of the better public schools in the city. I have three sons and I am not sure I will be sending any of them to JCCHS. Unfortunately, the education here comes with a very snotty attitude and a group of stuck up groups only money can buy you into. Also, I found even the most talented cheerleaders were refused entry unless mommy and daddy had big bucks. Even student counsel was a buy-your-way-onto position that only the spoiled rotten kids won. Do your children and yourselves a favor. Unless your are richer than God they teach about, send your kids to Vestavia, Mountain Brook, or other comparable schools.

John Carroll Catholic High School 1

Posted August 19, 2012
My daughter just started her senior year at John Carroll. She said the kids were very stuck up.The first day was half day and a lot of the kids were going to Moes. My daughter goes and not one J.C student ask her to join them to eat, or even talk to her. She sat and ate by herself. She attended school the next 3 days. It was the same situation. She tried to engage in conversation with the students, but they were not receptive. Prior to J.C. she went to a private catholic high school in New England. The tuition is double the cost of J.C. She attended school with many multi-million dollar families and celebrity's kids. Never did anyone treat her the way J.C. Kids did. I'm very disappointed in this Catholic School. This is not the Southern Hosipitiality I grew up with in Alabama.

Posted August 09, 2012
John Carroll is a stellar school if your child is driven academically. If you have an average student, the school curently is, in my opinion, not worth the tuition. The only benefit of JCCHS in that scenario is the extra religious instruction and faith based activities - but for less than the tuition, you can provide that through your home parish and household activities (and should be anyway if you are Catholic). I disagree with the other poster that the school buildings are subpar. They are average. The athletics are not bad, but they are obviously not the primary focus and, in my opinion, should not be the focus of *any* educational institution. Honestly, those at the school who are too athletics driven are the main problems there. The kids and families who are mainly focused on education and faith are the best, and JCCHS should really do more to build that core by encouraging and supporting and promoting parent/student activities linked to faith and educational success.

Posted July 15, 2012
Its a great academic school, but not a very strong athletic program, the facilities are sub-par at best, and the instruction from coaches does not provide a strong base for your scholar athlete to be prepared for competitive college sports, the program is declining and isn't what i would consider a state championship contender in anything except soccer. Understandably being an academic school, athletics isn't a top priority. A desire to win and a competitive strong work ethic is nearly non-existent in most of the athletes and there is no leadership. Also the support from the student and faculty fan base is one of indifference. School spirit and morale in sports isn't strong and the school doesn't provide the neccesities for a athlete to excel in one's sport. In my personal opinion, John Carroll isn't the place to send your son or daughter if they have a potential and a promising carreer in college athletics.

Posted August 03, 2011
I have had 1 child complete all four years at JCCHS and 4 more to come. We "do not have a lot of money" but do not mind the sacrifice it takes to send our children there. My children are blessed to have made many friends outside of JC and THERE IS A DIFFERENCE. All teenagers have the same pressures and attitudes, don't get me wrong. But the kids at Carroll tend to be more compassionate with one another as the love of Christ is exemplified in there everyday teachings, not only at home but at school as well! Of course there are teachers that may not be perfect, but that will be ANYWHERE you choose to attend. It is a lesson our children must learn because when they hit the real world, there will definitely be personalities that they will have to know how to deal with. As for academics, they are SO prepared for college and the preparation process through counseling is very thorough. I would recommend JC to ALL. Teaching our children that paying a little extra for morals, values and the graces they receive through Mass, Service, Adoration and prayer is so much more rewarding than spending that money on a bigger home or finer car...Christ led a simple life.

Posted June 18, 2011
I went to JCCHS for 4 years, and I loved every minute. It is an EXCELLENT school!

Posted May 14, 2007

Posted March 26, 2007
- a former student
I attended JC in the late 80's. I transferred in from a smaller school where, ironically, I was allowed to slip between the cracks. The staff and administration at JC made all the difference in the world. I was a mildly troubled kid who simply needed a positive environment where encouragement was the norm, and elitism was rare.

Posted September 25, 2006
One of the finest high schools in the south... John Carroll has a rich, storied, tradition unparalleled by most high schools...coupled with teachers who actually care about the education, well-being, and development of their students, John Carroll is among the elite of high schools in the south, if not the entire country.

John Carroll Catholic High School
300 Lakeshore Parkway, Birmingham, AL  35209
Last modified John Carroll Catholic High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12
John Carroll Catholic High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews.