Birmingham, AL
Before care: Yes

Posted November 05, 2013
Our Lady of the Valley is a two time recipient of the U.S. Dept. of Education Blue Ribbon School of Excellence award. The children that attend this school are well prepared for high school.

Posted May 29, 2013
OLV is an outstanding school. Our children were incredibly well prepared for high school academically, socially and spiritually. The sense of community is wonderful and parents, teachers and students really support and care for one another. We are blessed to have had our children at OLV.

Posted May 23, 2013
Our Lady of the Valley School has won the nation's top honor, the Blue Ribbon, twice. It is the only Catholic school to ever accomplish it even once. The community is a terrific community of parents, students, faculty and staff. It is not unusual to see faculty at OLV drama, sporting events, and other activities supporting the students. Parents are an integral part to the success of the school, assisting in many facets of education and extracurricular activities. Athletically, the school competes in the "Toy Bowl" against other Catholic schools, and has excelled in all sports, which begin in the 1st grade. I really like that, as in public schools students have to wait until 7th grade to compete. Science Olympiad has been nationally recognized; the OLV Drama Department has won national awards, and the academic and extracurricular activities are simply top-notch. The Principal is retiring this year after 19 years, and the school conducted a nationwide search to attract an outstanding Catholic educator to be new Principal. Change brings about opportunity, and I have no doubt OLV will continue to thrive. I have had 5 children there 19 years total and look forward to two more.

Posted May 13, 2013
OLV offers a wonderful community where parents, students, and teachers support and care about one another. As the parent of two alumni, I can say that OLV graduates are incredibly well prepared for high school not only academically, but also spiritually. They are provided with an outstanding moral and faith foundation.

Posted April 09, 2012
Caring teachers, good leadership from principal, strong academic program and involved parents. OLV won the prestigious 2011-2012 Blue Ribbon School of Excellence Award from the US Department of Education and earned the Third Place Award at State Science Olympiad. The prinicipal is very involved with the students, she knows most of them by name. The teachers are very caring and I have seen a big difference in my daughter's deportment (how she interacts with others) in addition to her advances in education. I would highly recommend the school to anyone and my husband and I are very glad we decided to make this investment in her education. We cannot wait until our son is old enough to start going to OLV. My only criticism (and it is a mild one) is that many of the mothers do not work and are available to attend the numerous plays and school functions, which makes it difficult on those who do work as my daughter always wonders why I don't visit her school and attend the various activities as much as other mothers.

Posted April 16, 2011
OLV is an incredible school. The teachers are top-notch, and they truly care about their students. The school provides an excellent Catholic education and prepares students very well for the future. Students are challenged and offered numerous opportunities to explore their talents and interests. The school community is like a family and I am proud to be a member of it.

Posted April 29, 2010
Most of the teachers are excellent. There are a few who are not Catholic and the social studies teacher for middle school has the children coloring more than learning. My oldest graduated from OLV on 08 and has done excellent in HS and is taking honors classes in every class except history. I attribute this to her middle school social studies teacher. She did not prepare them for high school. They have an excellent drama department and Science Olympiad program.

Posted April 02, 2010
I am currently a student at Our Lady of the Valley. Parents who send their kids here expect their kids to be getting a quality Catholic education, but half the teachers aren't even Catholic. There's also a teacher who can barely teach, and another who grades a bit harsh. But, there are a couple good teachers, and a wonderful principal who work with students. there is also a great drama department and thespians.

Posted December 17, 2009
I agree with everyone that it is clicky. I also found incompetence with one of the teachers in constantly grading my child's work wrong in elementary. In middle school, I felt that the grading was too harsh. One of the teachers believes in giving a child a '0' if they forget to do 1 of their problems in homework. Of course, your child can never get an 'A' in the class after receiving a zero. They believe this teaches the child responsiblity where I think it is too harsh as no one is perfect. The drama program is clicky but also excellent and the principal is very good and involved.

Posted May 21, 2008
I have 4 children taht have attend OLV. There are various opportunities for parent involvement. High academic challenges aid in preparation for high school. A large percentage of the 7th grade students have qualifided for the Duke Testing in recent years. Our teacher's do an excellent job of sharing the Catholic faith with the children at OLV. My children have developed strong life long friendships. But, most of all the christian faith has aided in molding their character.

Our Lady Of The Valley School
5510 Double Oak Lane, Birmingham, AL  35242
Last modified Our Lady Of The Valley School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Our Lady Of The Valley School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top