Parkway Christian Academy

Private | PK-12

Living in Birmingham

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $102,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $740.

Sweep tile

Posted February 23, 2014

My children have been at Parkway Christian Academy for three years. We found out that the school is closing and I am disappointed. As the colors of the children faces changed, the adminstration and board decided that our children were no longer an asset. We were recently purchased by Cornerstone because of the "financial" situation at PCA. I find it hard to believe that as a school we were not capable of surving. Holy Family has been surving for years because they have an adminstration that cares. In closing to other schools, before you make business deals based on race, visit the classrooms and look into the children faces before you walk out on them and stab them in the back. The majority of the children at PCA are not urban youth. They come from parents of business owners, educators,and professionals. We are not looking for a handout or a stereotype but we received both when Cornerstone purchased Parkway Christian Academy. Submitted by a parent

Posted November 23, 2013

As a freshman, I am very happy with Parkway. I have teachers who love and care for me and my education. I have friends who supports me in every thing I do. I really admire the principal, he is a true man of GOD. As a varsity cheerleader, I am very proud of our varsity girls and boys for their victories in the basketball games. The only complaint I have is the food in the lunchroom. That is my opinion, because I am also very picky.

Posted September 16, 2013

Im a parent and my child loves this school she loves the kids and everyone in it the head basketball coach Darius Hall is a good guy....... but as i watched the current volleyball team play tonight that was ridiculous they dont need to break down like that i wasted my 5 dollars watching them play Huffman when i know they could do so much better. They better get their act straight and win some games and to be honest some girls were crying and no one knows what for.

Posted August 10, 2013

They don't deserve the one star I just gave them. Overall terrible school, full of religious hypocrites and a TOXIC counselor. In my opinion, this counselor is 99% responsible for running this school straight into the ground. There are hardly any extra curricular activities and the ones they do have are a joke. The basketball team was absolutely pathetic (poor coaching). Baseball, soccer, and football are no longer offered there. So if you would like to be part of a terrible basketball team or what I can only assume will now be a joke of a volleyball team then be sure to register at parkway. Now for the academics, they have great, caring high school teachers. The problem is these teachers have so many classes, realistically they can't perform, anywhere near their potential. Let me be real frank with you for a second, if you are Caucasian and you can not get into a decent public school, GO TO JCA. DO NOT PUT YOUR CHILD THROUGH WHAT PARKWAY WILL PUT THEM THROUGH.

Posted May 12, 2013

After I had enrolled my daughter here for her 6th grade year I felt I was able to breathe a sigh of relief. I felt like I was doing the right thing by not sending her to public school. Now that I look back I regret this decision immensely. I noticed during her 6th grade year that she became very depressed and down on herself which I thought strange since she had always been such a bright, opinionated, creative, and happy child. I thought maybe it was just adjusting to middle school. Through the next few years though I slowly watched her fall apart. During her 9th grade year is when I realized just how horrible this school is. She began to lose a lot of weight, and became even more withdrawn and unhappy. She would come home from school on some days close herself in her room and cry! Whenever I asked her what was wrong she wouldn't tell me. I had a meeting once with the counselor there who told me that she would call my daughter down to her office occasionally to speak to her about God, once I put two and two together I realized that she was crazy and probably responsible for some of the tears. I could go on and but am running out space. Bottom line these people are crazy!

Posted February 12, 2013

THIS SCHOOL IS LACKING A LOT OF CHRISTIAN VALUES. I guess you can say it is only a Christian school in name only. The education pass 6th grade is poor with the exception of the 7th grade history / bible teacher ( he is awesome!!!!). The principal is very out of touch with what goes on in his school and the assistant principal is very uncaring. There is a strong feeling of prejudiced in the front office... I have experinced this first hand and I witnessed a lot more unchristian like behavior during the time my daughter attended this school. *NEW BUSINESS* I think Parkway missed the memo on BULLYING. Yes the BULLYING EPIDEMIC now graces the hallway, classroom, gymnasium, and cafeteria at PARKWAY CHRISTIAN ACADEMY, and this is sad. I am talking first hand information. In closing I was very disappointed with this school. I pulled my daughter out to homeschool her beacuse, I work in public school and I would not send my child to a public school and the private setting is no longer what it use to be.

Posted October 13, 2012

This school is horrible!!!!!!!!! God's word is masked by unprofessionalism, rudeness, and faux Christians!!!! If there are any problems or concerns against the faculty the administration will not listen which is very unfortunate for the students. Just because a school claims to be a Christian Academy it doesn't mean that they are.

Posted September 14, 2012

My daughter attended PCA her Kindergarten year. She learned alot and had a great teacher by the name of Mrs. Shultz. She is in the 1st grade and her teacher's name is Mrs. Shackelford. I have known her for a short period of time but she is an awesome teacher very structured and very organized. Some individuals you can simply pickup on their spirit and their ability to lead. I am so lucky to have Mrs. Shackelford as my daughter's teacher. Parkway is lucky to have her on their team! As for Mr. Gallien, he is great. All the concerns I have had, he has addressed them timely and with class. With all that said, I am very please with Parkway Christian Academy. Last but not least, the President of the PTF, Mrs Green (Cookie) is awesome!

Posted July 25, 2012

PCA hide behind the christian name. Principal is uncaring towards the students which reflect in the teachers. They did not go the extra mile to help my child succeed. Students that have graduated state they feel they are lost in the real world and realize in college they lack so much that wasn't taught at PCA. All about the money, not the education.

Posted May 21, 2012

MAY DAUGHTER GRADUATED FROM THIS SCHOOL IN MAY 2009 SHE WAS NOT PREPARED FOR COLLEGE AT ALL ....DO NOT SEND YOUR PRECIOUS JEWELS TO THIS SO CALL CHRISTIAN ACADEMY. NO FORM OFCHRISTIANITY LIVES HERE AND DEFINITELY NOT AN ACADEMY....STAFF AND PRINCIPAL ARE HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted March 20, 2012

I am a former student of this school. Before I came here, I went to another great private school but unfortunatly they closed. When I came to this school my 7th grade year, I thought it was really fun. And at tat time, there was three seventh grades. But, I quickly realized that the curiculums were terrible and very old. Most of the teachers I had didnt really teach us or they made the work so easy that us students werent chalenged enough. Socially, this school needs alot of improvement in this area. The people here are vey stuck up and rude. If they were to see you in a resturaunt or store or something, they wouldn't even bother to wave or smile at you. They criticize and talk about people all the time butstill say that they are Christian. And the thing that bothered me the most is that teachers idn't do anything about it when they saw or heard it going on. Alot of times, teachers even sort of went along with it or thought itwas funny. Once I left this school, it was sad because I made many friends here. But when I left and went to a public school, it was definitly different but academically it was harder because Parkway didn't prepare me. Personally I would not recomend PCA.

Posted May 12, 2011

This school is awful. Do not send your child to this school. Not even for a Christian education because your child WILL NOT get it. The staff is constantly being the opposite of Christian. Most of the teachers are lazy and are not meant to teach children/teenager. Don't waste your valuable time and money! Do not sacrifice your child's education or spiritual growth by enrolling them into this school. Go find another private school if you must. Trust me you won't regret that decision.

Posted January 12, 2011

this school is horrible!!! i have been going to this school for 2 years and i really havent learned anything. My past school i made straight A's but since i came here everything went downfall. i wouldnt recommend this school. There are not alot of people at the school so you cant really socialize. The school is boring nd people are mean there. The teachers dont even act like they are Christians. Dont go to this school if you want to succeed in life. Oh and they are not organized

Posted April 7, 2010

I think that this school didnt prepare me for college at all. They were so stuck on being christians that they didnt know how to teach us. I wouldnt recommend Parkway to nobody. Im a past student, I wouldnt lie!!

Posted March 15, 2010

My daughter graduated may 2009 from this school she was unprepared for college. Some of the staff members and the new principal along with the counselor are not giving the student what they need for the real world. Yes this is a christian base school but you would have to dig really deep to find this out, because the principal doesnt show it in anyway. Would i recommend parkway no!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted August 12, 2009

PCA is a thriving school with Chrisitan values and small classrooms giving attention to the students as needed. Many of the high school teachers are very good and our SAT scores are high. As with most things, the effort you put into something is what your return is.

Posted March 3, 2009

ParkWay Christian Academy was a wonderful school for my son. He was in the K-4 program last year and made great improvements. Mrs. Knox was his teacher and she was the best. She is truly a Christian lady and had so much patience with my son. Love the values of this school.

Posted February 28, 2009

My daughter is in the Pre-K program at Parkway. She is thriving. The children at the elementary are supportive and encouraging to each other. Harsh words are not allowed between the students. The teachers are loving, christians who support my childs academic and emotional growth. I've enjoyed the entire community from K-4 to 12th. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Posted February 7, 2009

when i first started attending parkway it was all that is said to have been i have been there five years about to be six years and i have seen the good and the bad. The teachers that actually stood up and taught instead of being on the computer the whole entire period have been driven out now there are hardly any teachers that ar really good at what they do. The principle really is to strict now i admit your suppose to be strict but every time you go in his office he threatens you with suspension for a day or two. he has made the rule of no cell phones in the school the only phone you can use is the office phone and no one wants to go and have the office hearing your personal conversation with someone he obviously needs to take away that rule for thesakeofthechildrenbecausetheyreallyneddtobeallowwedtoussetheirphonesafterschooltocallforridesaranythingelse
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 9, 2009

I have a child in the 8th grade. The new principle has made many improvements and our SAT scores are great. This is a small Christian school with Christian ethics. The size of the school and the enrollment is what makes it so unique. It is an excellent school.

Two or more races 4% N/A
Asian 1% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Christian
Associations
  • ACSI

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

959 Huffman Rd