Birmingham, AL
Before care: Yes
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Alabama Waldorf School is a Nursery-Grade 8 school serving parents regardless of denomination, socioeconomic status, race, gender, marital status or sexual orientation. We utilize a proven 95-year-old curriculum that educates the child's heart and hands as well as his/her head. With subjects like Russian, Spanish, Music, Handwork and Movement complimenting History, Language Arts, Math, Science, and Geography, AWS appeals to many different types of people. Our parents come from the neighborhoods around our school (Forest Park, Crestwood, Avondale), UAB, Homewood, Hoover, Vestavia, Liberty Park, even as far away as Verbena! Our faculty members receive special Waldorf trainings and work in a collegial environment to deliver a quality education on academic and social levels to enrolled children. Due to parent demand, we also offer a camp-like summer program based on fairy tales from around the world and open to students aged 2.5 to rising 3rd grade. Tours are the best way to see what a Waldorf school really is and how it differs from other educational alternatives. Please come any Tuesday at 9 for an hour to see Waldorf in action!
April 23, 2013

Posted June 18, 2013
I love this school. All three of my daughters have attended (oldest at JCIB, younger two current). AWS offers a unique educational experience that has allowed my daughters to blossom into the highly capable young women they are today. Waldorf education specializes in teaching young people to become whole human beings. This has been made greatly apparent in our experience with my oldest daughter who is now a junior at JCIB. She is a highly capable young woman more than up to the academic demands of an accelerated high school. She is also her own person, able to make her own decisions and amazingly free of the angst and peer pressure so common among teenagers. I lay the credit for this on her preK-8 education at Alabama Waldorf School.

Alabama Waldorf School 4

Posted September 05, 2012
My son went to school at AWS for the 2011-2012 school year. I really love the school. In fact, I ended up volunteering to be a room parent. When you see a school like AWS giving your child 100% of their attention and time, it makes you want to contribute as much as possible. That is why the parent involvement rate a AWS is higher than most schools. My son truly benefitted from the educational, artistic and social experiences he got at AWS. Our favorite day was the field trip to the Old Baker Farm...and it also doubled as great "scrapbook" material for sure. This is a great community (and a nationally recognized educational program) that offers an excellent educational opportunity for our youngsters right here in Birmingham. At AWS, children get to broaden their global horizons right in the classroom. As a parent and a professional, educational success and advancement are priorities for my family. I believe AWS starts kids off on the right path so that they WANT to learn more about the world around them. In addition to the great hands-on educational environment at AWS, my son made lifelong friends, which was great for his esteem and social development.

Posted July 24, 2012
I can't say enough good about the Alabama Waldorf School. I have a 5 year old who just finished her first year at AWS. She is smart, strong willed and quick tempered. She's been in daycare / preschool at some very notable private schools in town. The staff and the environment at AWS is truly unique. They have taken their time to learn who she is as a person and help her learn how to harness her fiery personality. Her bond with her teachers and the nurturing classroom environment enables her to focus, grow and learn. She returns home at the end of the day proud of her accomplishments and at peace with her world.

Posted February 22, 2012
We have a 1st grader and a Kindergartner at AWS. I can't imagine them anywhere else. In a time where children are pushed too far too fast, AWS nurtures them. A Waldorf curriculum has a deep structure and works to lay a strong educational foundation. It doesn't skip over the top of subjects or introduce subjects too early. The arts are used to engage the whole child and the child's whole brain. Detractors say Waldorf teaches reading late. They don't seem to realize the emphasis placed on listening comprehension and rich language, which you need to become a fluent, life long reader. My 1st grader can remember and tell long, beautifully told stories because he has been taught to value rich language and narrative. Because of this, reading is coming easily to him, and he craves story and language. He is also learning two contrasting languages, Spanish & Russian, both taught by native speakers. He now spontaneously sings songs in both languages. He also talks enthusiastically about math lessons from the day & has started asking deeper questions about math. It is not a dry subject at our school & so he gets it that there is mystery and power in math. . (I've run out of space. :)

Posted February 05, 2010

Alabama Waldorf School 0

Posted December 19, 2008
this is a awesome school very balance and real. your child get treated as a person more than a student.

Alabama Waldorf School 1

Posted April 28, 2008

Alabama Waldorf School
1220 50th St S, Birmingham, AL  35222
Last modified Alabama Waldorf School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Alabama Waldorf School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 7 reviews. Top