Mt Laurel Elementary School

Public | K-3

Posted December 21, 2012

We have had a nice experience at Mt Laurel, though I believe it's different if you're a working mom than if you are active in the PTO. Sometimes administrators & teachers assume all parents know what's going on and sometimes they don't explain events or routines fully to parents. My son is in the 1st grade & is truly developing a love for learning, which is what I want most. I DO NOT like that his class is doubled up for space. 36 kids in 1 classroom is too many, though the 2 teachers do their best. He had 16 kids in his kindergarten class last year and had the best experience. We love Mt. Laurel but plan to move out of the district next year because we understand the upper grade schools are not nearly as good.

Posted July 2, 2012

My son completed first grade at this school. It was our first experience with Shelby County Schools. The school building is beautiful with a lot of parental support. I was not impressed with my son's teacher or curriculum. The teacher was young and inexperienced. It seemed to take most of the school year to get into her groove of teaching. I found I needed to stay on top of school assignments making it into my son's backpack, each week was inconsistent on what was being assigned and testing given without parents knowing what was being tested or students having enough practice. I voiced my opinion to the teacher and principal. Although they listened it took most of the school year for some changes to be made. My son will be attending a private school next year.

Posted January 31, 2011

I have two boys in this school and could not be more unhappy. This school definately doesn't deserve the test scores or the reviews that I read before moving to this school zone. I have one child that has medical issues causing him to miss several days for illnesses and doctor's appointments so he needs every day of attendence he can get. The nurse has sent him home for being sick then the school has put him down for an unexcused absence even with my notes and/or doctor's notes. I don't understand how I can be told that I have to pick him up just to later be told it is an unexcused absence. He also has an IEP that has yet to be followed! The school teaches to the test rather than simply teaching the information. The work is not nearly as challenging this year as it was last year at another school. My other child is in 1st grade with no special needs and has had no problems but again has not been challenged at all this year and finds it basically a repeat of Kindergarten.

Posted May 23, 2010

We moved to Mt Laurel Elem this past school year and my daughter LOVES it. My husband and I could not be more pleased! Our teacher is WONDERFUL and my daughter loves all of her programs (art, computer, library). We will have another daughter there next year! We also love Mrs. Walker! Great School with great teachers and great parent involvement!

Posted April 25, 2010

Me and my wife were new parents with my son, so we were very skeptical about any school but Mt. Laurel has been a wonderful school. My son love's the school, the kids and the teacher's. He's been going there since kindergarten. Great Job Mt Laurel staff.

Posted July 27, 2009

My son has been at Mt. Laurel since kindergarten and we LOVE everything about the school. It is a true community effort from the principal to the support staff. A true village mentality exsists at MLES. Dr. & Mrs. Reggie Smith

Posted July 17, 2009

I have grandchildren that attend MLES. Mrs. Walker is a wonderful pricipal who truly cares about the children. In my opinion, the school has a very caring enviornment including the teachers, the nurse, and the food preparers.

Posted April 24, 2009

We really love this school. The only negative is that is is hard to deal with 'special needs' issues with your child unless they are full blown autistic or Down's or something. My child is high functioning autistic and it has been hard to get him the help he needs. Even though he has done great, because of the great teachers and principle....I hope it can continue through the next 3 yrs. Really Shelby Count School District holds the cards. Mt Laurel can only do what the County lets them. We moved from a TERRIBLE school district in another state that gave my son PLENTY of services since he was 2. We moved here last year and he has had no services. Amazing to me! I do have a totally normal child in a higher grade and he Is thriving and learning so much. Reading way higher than grade level, etc.

Posted April 1, 2009

I had 2 of my children in MLES for the past 2 years and I am very happy with the teachers. The new principal, Ms. Walker, has made it even better. What a tremendous leader for our children.

Posted March 5, 2009

We moved to Mt Laurel this school year and are more than pleased. The faculty is caring and helpful. My daughter is very happy after several moves. She is right at home!

Posted December 18, 2007

We are new to the Birmingham area. I heard from so many parents negative comments about MLES. Wow are they wrong. This school is amazing. My daughter loves it as we all do. I can't say anything negative. What a great experience for us all. I hope the grades will continue past 3rd!!

Posted May 9, 2007

The care of the teachers is what makes Mt Laurel a great school. This is displayed through their high test scores, parental involvement and great music and art programs.

Posted February 9, 2007

We absolutely LOVE Mt Laurel Elementary. My son has been there for two years and I have never seen such dedicated teachers and administration. The parental involvement is amazing, with a very involved PTO. I would highly recommend this school to anyone looking for good class sizes, great teachers and a GREAT community!

Posted December 1, 2006

We love Mt. Laurel Elem School and we're very proud as a community to have such an excellent educational system. The teachers are caring and very qualified. My children have attended Mt. Laurel since it opened. We have a wonderful PTO and successful book fairs! The children are engaged in the learning process and are provided a wonderful environment in which to learn and grow. Betty Hayden

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2012.

157 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2011

2010

2009

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2012.

157 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2011

2010

2009

Scale: % level 3 or 4

In 2011-2012 Alabama used the Alabama Reading and Mathematics Test (ARMT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math. The ARMT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Source: Alabama Department of Education

Non-migrant95%
Poverty88%
Non-poverty96%
Scale: % level 3 or 4

The different student groups are identified by the Alabama Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Alabama Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 17%N/A56%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1 Jefferson Place