Posted August 01, 2014
I have had four kids who attended this school. There is not a better school in the Birmingham area. This is school is in a tight knit community and has the feel of a private school. There is excellent parental support for what the teachers are trying to accomplish. Great school!

Mt Laurel Elementary School 4

Posted December 21, 2012
We have had a nice experience at Mt Laurel, though I believe it's different if you're a working mom than if you are active in the PTO. Sometimes administrators & teachers assume all parents know what's going on and sometimes they don't explain events or routines fully to parents. My son is in the 1st grade & is truly developing a love for learning, which is what I want most. I DO NOT like that his class is doubled up for space. 36 kids in 1 classroom is too many, though the 2 teachers do their best. He had 16 kids in his kindergarten class last year and had the best experience. We love Mt. Laurel but plan to move out of the district next year because we understand the upper grade schools are not nearly as good.

Mt Laurel Elementary School 2

Posted July 02, 2012
My son completed first grade at this school. It was our first experience with Shelby County Schools. The school building is beautiful with a lot of parental support. I was not impressed with my son's teacher or curriculum. The teacher was young and inexperienced. It seemed to take most of the school year to get into her groove of teaching. I found I needed to stay on top of school assignments making it into my son's backpack, each week was inconsistent on what was being assigned and testing given without parents knowing what was being tested or students having enough practice. I voiced my opinion to the teacher and principal. Although they listened it took most of the school year for some changes to be made. My son will be attending a private school next year.

Mt Laurel Elementary School 1

Posted January 31, 2011
I have two boys in this school and could not be more unhappy. This school definately doesn't deserve the test scores or the reviews that I read before moving to this school zone. I have one child that has medical issues causing him to miss several days for illnesses and doctor's appointments so he needs every day of attendence he can get. The nurse has sent him home for being sick then the school has put him down for an unexcused absence even with my notes and/or doctor's notes. I don't understand how I can be told that I have to pick him up just to later be told it is an unexcused absence. He also has an IEP that has yet to be followed! The school teaches to the test rather than simply teaching the information. The work is not nearly as challenging this year as it was last year at another school. My other child is in 1st grade with no special needs and has had no problems but again has not been challenged at all this year and finds it basically a repeat of Kindergarten.

Posted May 23, 2010
We moved to Mt Laurel Elem this past school year and my daughter LOVES it. My husband and I could not be more pleased! Our teacher is WONDERFUL and my daughter loves all of her programs (art, computer, library). We will have another daughter there next year! We also love Mrs. Walker! Great School with great teachers and great parent involvement!

Mt Laurel Elementary School 0

Posted April 25, 2010
Me and my wife were new parents with my son, so we were very skeptical about any school but Mt. Laurel has been a wonderful school. My son love's the school, the kids and the teacher's. He's been going there since kindergarten. Great Job Mt Laurel staff.

Posted August 12, 2009

Mt Laurel Elementary School 0

Posted July 27, 2009
My son has been at Mt. Laurel since kindergarten and we LOVE everything about the school. It is a true community effort from the principal to the support staff. A true village mentality exsists at MLES. Dr. & Mrs. Reggie Smith

Posted July 17, 2009
I have grandchildren that attend MLES. Mrs. Walker is a wonderful pricipal who truly cares about the children. In my opinion, the school has a very caring enviornment including the teachers, the nurse, and the food preparers.

Mt Laurel Elementary School 4

Posted April 24, 2009
We really love this school. The only negative is that is is hard to deal with 'special needs' issues with your child unless they are full blown autistic or Down's or something. My child is high functioning autistic and it has been hard to get him the help he needs. Even though he has done great, because of the great teachers and principle....I hope it can continue through the next 3 yrs. Really Shelby Count School District holds the cards. Mt Laurel can only do what the County lets them. We moved from a TERRIBLE school district in another state that gave my son PLENTY of services since he was 2. We moved here last year and he has had no services. Amazing to me! I do have a totally normal child in a higher grade and he Is thriving and learning so much. Reading way higher than grade level, etc.

Mt Laurel Elementary School
1 Jefferson Place, Birmingham, AL  35242
Last modified Mt Laurel Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-3. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mt Laurel Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews.