Ramsay High School

Public | 8-12

Posted November 27, 2013

I attend this school . I am apart of the new International Baccalaureate programme that they offer for 11th & 12th graders. It's an awesome school and is very open to different learning ideas. The only thing Ramsay needs to improve is the nutrition. Lunch isn't the best thing on your taste buds .

Posted October 19, 2013

Ok its 2013 and as I've read in similar post this is still who you know school, the staff separates the school by where you came from. If you didn't go to WJ Christian or Phillips Academy they don't want you there. The teaching staff isn't all that great either. They have a math teacher who finished high dchool in 2005 she is so not qualified in my opinion to teach a ramsay student. They up there fees on everything. Basketball has 125.00 transportion fee, 80 to 110 meal fee by a caterer, really. That is ridiculous. I personally don't like this school at all.

Posted June 28, 2013

Academically accelerated high school, located in Birmingham. The environment is conducive for learning and promotes cross curriculum learning.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 28, 2012

I love Ramsay. The staff and students are very nice and respectful. Each time I have visited the school I was greeted with a warm wlecome, especially by the students. Kudos to the parents and staff. The police officer on the other hand could be more approachable. I thought that children and adults were suppose to feel safe with the police, not intimidated.

Posted May 18, 2012

My decision to enroll my smart, athletic and competitive child into a Magnet school was an easy choice for me. Unfortunately, under the "Who You Know Policy that Ramsay have in place for the intake process it left us stuck within our failing public zoned school. I can accept the decision because I know that my child will excel far beyond the parameters of your fine institution. However, all students should be offered reasonable acceptance based on their qualifications as a student and not based on the reputation of knowing: the principal, assistant principal, teacher or coach.

Posted September 25, 2011

I am currently a student a t Ramsay. Of course like many kids, I was very frightened being a Freshman at a new school. Though scared out of my mind, I was welcomed with open arms. The school is wonderful. One great thing I love about Ramsay is the class size. There are probably less than 20 students in a class, so I learn easily. The teachers take the time to help you and make sure you are learning and progressing well. The staff in the office are rude though...LOL. I love Ramsay and I'm glad I am a student there.

Posted March 3, 2010

I am glad this information is made available to us, parents of hopefully future Ramsey students. I certainly do not like favoritism in any environment, espe not where children are involved. Whether one may realize it or not, we all should be and teach our children to be true to ourselves/themselves. Second thought about Ramsey. ASFA may be an option but it is my understanding that there are a lot of social issues there. Unfortunately, there are not many options for our little scholars.

Posted March 2, 2010

So tired of the Football issue.....no one says this about Alabama School of Fine Arts. Ramsay used to be called Ramsay Alternative High School when I attended. That is a great name to explain just what Ramsay provided for it's inner city students. A haven away from the sports laden culture that exists in our city schools that zaps the focus from other important parts of the educational process. Ramsay is a prep school first and foremost and secondly a fine arts academy that just happens to offer sports . I think Ramsay has the right order to their priorities and the proof is in the pudding. Just one opinion.

Posted November 3, 2009

Ramsay High has an excellent curriculum. The faculty is always looking for better programs and ideas to continue in the excellent education that they have been providing for years. Ramsay helps their students to mature and they are very well prepared when they leave. They have a very good graduation ratio and they are big on getting scholarships for their students. I feel safe with my child being at Ramsay.

Posted April 14, 2009

Forced increased enrollment has killed the intimate small school feel and style of learning. Intimate class sessions with teachers have become like lecture halls with only the 'brightest jewels' shining. Although there are some dedicated teachers many are protected only by tenure. The quality of student has declined and it shows.

Posted February 23, 2009

I'm currently a freshman at RHS and I absolutely love it. Yes, we do have our days, but overall theres nothing better I could ask for. The academics are great and most teachers will take the time out to help you if you need it. The fine arts department is also a plus. The sports selection at Ramsay is improving. We have girls and boys basketball, softball, baseball, tennis, soccer, golf, volleyball, and I hear their working on establishing a football team. Well. . . Ramsay is just a really great school to go to. You won't regret it! - MTW '12

Posted October 2, 2008

This school is an academic school, so therefore we don't have many of the extra programs that other schools have. The ectra things that we do have are actually a highlight. The students say that this place isn't what it was surpose to be because they want a football team. Even though that is refered to as the heart of a school, it isn't at Ramsay, We have alot of interesting things that make up for the missing football team. We get to go places that might be off limit to other schools like Paris and washington D.C.

Posted June 13, 2008

Ramsay is one of the few shinning jewels in the Birmingham City School System. Academics and extracurricular activities are encouraged and rewarded through excellent learning plans developed for each individual student.

Posted February 20, 2008

This is my child's second year at Ramsay and I am pleased overall of the educational opportunities. I am disappointed that my child comes home with little if no information about activities and meetings going on, but I don't blame the school for this. He has so much opportunity that I know if he would motivate himself, he would be more involved and enjoy his time at Ramsay alot more. My child has the ability to make high scores but has somehow gotten lost because of his lack of motivation and stimulation. I know it is difficult to grab hold of exceptional students that somehow don't reach out. I wish there was more staff to see his potential and motivate him. I love Ramsay and think that it should continue to be available for those families and students that desire it and qualify for it.

Posted February 7, 2008

I am currently a senior at Ramsay High School, but i must say that i have never made a better descion. This is a place that allows for growht in every area, we are nurtured not babied. The teachers are enthusiastic about teaching and taking us (thie student to another level and preparing us for exams, college and life. Classes are small so students get high levels of attetion. The parent support is phenominal, they are always looking for something to do or some way to help out.That is not all, there are so so many ways to get involved both with the community and extra-curricular activities. I am probably one of the most involved people in the school this year and the opportunites are awesome!....This is a great school and there is nothing in the system like it! I love this schoolrdfc!

Posted February 5, 2008

I personally feel that the school is not all that it is hyped up to be. Although we are given some what of an advanced education, Ramsay is not what I expected of my high school years. Favortism is often shown and there are no fun and important extracurricular activities besides basketball.

Posted February 1, 2008

The best the Birmingham System has to offer, but not the best available in the greater area. As a magnet school, its students are cherry-picked from the whole system, leaving average or poorer (or more disruptive) students in their zoned schools. Teaching staff is better than average, but motivation to teach-learn is spotty. My child regularly reports teachers doing extra for their favorites, and leaving the rest to just get by--in almost every subject area. If you aren't one of the chosen, as my child has been fortunate to be, you just get a so-so education--which most students don't seem to mind too much. At least it's a relatively safe environment, and most kids graduate on time, and go on to some sort of college experience. As both a parent of Birmingham System kids, and a former secondary school teacher in the System, I find my child's description fair & credible.

Posted January 31, 2008

This is the only Magnet High School in the Birmingham City school system. It has a 100% graduation rate, and also boast a 100% passage rate on the Alabama Exit Exam.

Posted September 18, 2006

It is early in the year, but so far we are impressed with the Academic Programs they have to offer. There is music, art, sports and other activities such as FBLA, JROTC, other groups a child can be a part of and learn leadership and community service. Educating them and giving them the experience they need to develop into successful pleasant people in society. The turn out at the Open House was amazing. The parent participation is great. I have not yet been able to attend a PTA meeting yet, but look forward to it.

Posted March 17, 2006

This school is great. Their is a lot to get involved in even though we lack a football team. Our boys and girls basketball team are the 5A State Champs. This is our girls 3rd championship in a row. The principals could be more involved with the what goes aroun the school instead of showing up when it is going to make them look good. Our teachers really do care about the students and get involved in our lives. They look out for us. They basically run the school and keep it alive. We have many fun programs and plays for students to participate in and Harvest Week, Spring Week, and basketball season are many things to look forward to throuhout the year. I llove this school. I can't picture myself going anywhere else. I've been here since my freshman year and I'm curretly a junior the Class of 2007.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2013.

Scale: % level 3 or 4

In 2012-2013 Alabama used the Alabama Reading and Mathematics Test (ARMT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math. The ARMT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

All Studentsn/a

Not migrantn/a
Povertyn/a
Not povertyn/a
Scale: % level 3 or 4

The different student groups are identified by the Alabama Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 95% in 2013.

Language

The state average for Language was 76% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 86% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 72% in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Alabama used the Alabama High School Graduation Exam (AHSGE) to test high school students in reading, math, language, biology and social studies. High school students must pass the AHSGE in order to graduate. The AHSGE is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 98% in 2013.

Language

The state average for Language was 91% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 95% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 94% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 88% in 2013.

General population100%

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 61%N/A56%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1800 13th Ave South