Birmingham, AL

Ramsay High School 5

Posted November 27, 2013
I attend this school . I am apart of the new International Baccalaureate programme that they offer for 11th & 12th graders. It's an awesome school and is very open to different learning ideas. The only thing Ramsay needs to improve is the nutrition. Lunch isn't the best thing on your taste buds .

Ramsay High School 3

Posted October 19, 2013
Ok its 2013 and as I've read in similar post this is still who you know school, the staff separates the school by where you came from. If you didn't go to WJ Christian or Phillips Academy they don't want you there. The teaching staff isn't all that great either. They have a math teacher who finished high dchool in 2005 she is so not qualified in my opinion to teach a ramsay student. They up there fees on everything. Basketball has 125.00 transportion fee, 80 to 110 meal fee by a caterer, really. That is ridiculous. I personally don't like this school at all.

Posted June 28, 2013
Academically accelerated high school, located in Birmingham. The environment is conducive for learning and promotes cross curriculum learning.

Posted October 28, 2012
I love Ramsay. The staff and students are very nice and respectful. Each time I have visited the school I was greeted with a warm wlecome, especially by the students. Kudos to the parents and staff. The police officer on the other hand could be more approachable. I thought that children and adults were suppose to feel safe with the police, not intimidated.

Ramsay High School 3

Posted May 18, 2012
My decision to enroll my smart, athletic and competitive child into a Magnet school was an easy choice for me. Unfortunately, under the "Who You Know Policy that Ramsay have in place for the intake process it left us stuck within our failing public zoned school. I can accept the decision because I know that my child will excel far beyond the parameters of your fine institution. However, all students should be offered reasonable acceptance based on their qualifications as a student and not based on the reputation of knowing: the principal, assistant principal, teacher or coach.

Ramsay High School 5

Posted September 25, 2011
I am currently a student a t Ramsay. Of course like many kids, I was very frightened being a Freshman at a new school. Though scared out of my mind, I was welcomed with open arms. The school is wonderful. One great thing I love about Ramsay is the class size. There are probably less than 20 students in a class, so I learn easily. The teachers take the time to help you and make sure you are learning and progressing well. The staff in the office are rude though...LOL. I love Ramsay and I'm glad I am a student there.

Posted March 03, 2010
I am glad this information is made available to us, parents of hopefully future Ramsey students. I certainly do not like favoritism in any environment, espe not where children are involved. Whether one may realize it or not, we all should be and teach our children to be true to ourselves/themselves. Second thought about Ramsey. ASFA may be an option but it is my understanding that there are a lot of social issues there. Unfortunately, there are not many options for our little scholars.

Posted March 02, 2010
So tired of the Football issue.....no one says this about Alabama School of Fine Arts. Ramsay used to be called Ramsay Alternative High School when I attended. That is a great name to explain just what Ramsay provided for it's inner city students. A haven away from the sports laden culture that exists in our city schools that zaps the focus from other important parts of the educational process. Ramsay is a prep school first and foremost and secondly a fine arts academy that just happens to offer sports . I think Ramsay has the right order to their priorities and the proof is in the pudding. Just one opinion.

Posted November 03, 2009
Ramsay High has an excellent curriculum. The faculty is always looking for better programs and ideas to continue in the excellent education that they have been providing for years. Ramsay helps their students to mature and they are very well prepared when they leave. They have a very good graduation ratio and they are big on getting scholarships for their students. I feel safe with my child being at Ramsay.

Posted April 14, 2009
Forced increased enrollment has killed the intimate small school feel and style of learning. Intimate class sessions with teachers have become like lecture halls with only the 'brightest jewels' shining. Although there are some dedicated teachers many are protected only by tenure. The quality of student has declined and it shows.

Ramsay High School
1800 13th Ave South, Birmingham, AL  35205
Last modified Ramsay High School is a Public school that serves grades 8-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ramsay High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top