Birmingham, AL
Before care: Yes

Posted September 12, 2014
Read reviews. As a parent I did. Inspite of, I decided to give SV a chance. Sun Valley did not prove any of the negative reviews wrong. In fact they went the extra mile to prove the comments to be right. My child did not gain anything. In fact my child lost 2 years. Now my child is behind. Another school is currently trying to repair. Luckily I was fortunate enough to relocate my child. So please do your self a favor and read reviews. Take action. Remember it is the children who suffers in the end. The most disappointing part of the situation. Good Luck, A Parent That Cares
5 people found this helpful

Sun Valley Elementary School 5

Posted March 28, 2014
Sun Valley is a great school. I wish more of the parents had a positive outlook on their child's education.

Posted April 24, 2013
Sun Valley leaves a lot to be desired in many aspects. The one thing that bothers me the most is that the principal does not care about the kids or the school and she shows that in her many absences from the school. She has gotten progressively worse since she has been their and the board seems to care less. The teachers have no since of governance and I can say that many of them need it b/c their teaching methods leave me as a parent, upset and embarrassed for them to be seen as an educator. The school also has no PTA/PTO and the principal blocks every chance at forming a healthy organazation that would benefit the students, parents and teachers. It is a said state and again the board seems to look the other way at how unproductive the school is at with it's parent involvement programs. I need to inflict change b/c if the principal does not want to be at the school then she should be replaced and maybe the atmosphere will change!

Posted March 16, 2013
my kids attended sun valley for many years. it started out great but as the years past there were changes in principals. the school is 99% black and they have a white principal who really does not seem to care about the kids and it shows in her attitude. she is not friendly or welcoming to parents at all. there are many good teachers there but many bad ones also. many just really seem burned out and just don't seem to care. they are yelling at the kids and rude to the parents. I attended Bham city schools and wanted to give them a chance but sadly I had to leave the system for my kids. it's really a school system that's crashing fast, which really saddens me. I would not reccomend this school

Posted June 19, 2012
As i child i never attended public school even though i wanted to. I had my child in private school for two years and he actually skipped a grade. So i was like ok we will try public school and it will save me a lot of money. It was not worth it and i see why my mom paid for my education. She was ahead but only because they didnt teach anything. LESSON LEARNED

Sun Valley Elementary School 3

Posted December 12, 2011
I have three kids at sun valley 5th, 2nd, kindergarden. i can count on one hand that its still some good old fashion teacher that know how to run there class and doesnt call you for everything. but this school here has been awful for my 5 grader. the first two weeks was great homework, agenda book where actually used, tuesday folder where on time. but soon are later no responses in the agenda books, no tuesday folders. this time i havent receive know progress report yet and its been atleast 2 weeks. this woman here doesnt have a passion at all for our kids she spends more time off are in a meeting than in her class. cant wait to see report cards this time around, if we get them on time. my 2nd grader teacher is awesome shes on time with everything if not she lets you know whats going on. my son has homework daily spelling words etc. agenda book checked. kindergarden she is awesome this teacher here handle those little ones well. not to sound harsh but if alot of them think of there own kids and love what they do our schools will be so much better. i can imagine how it may be for some but if we all still believe in the old way bringing back the paddling, discipline will change.

Sun Valley Elementary School 2

Posted April 14, 2011
I am deeply sadden this year. My son is in Kindergarten and though the teacher is adequate, there is NO enthusiasm. I am disappointed. The principal is uncaring, rude, and says statements that are offensive. She is not invested in the school. The two principal before her were gems compared to her. She came from another school and perhaps she is sad since she was overlooked and had to come here. It is a beautiful school. It just needs real leadership.

Sun Valley Elementary School 0

Posted June 11, 2009
We have enjoyed our first year at Sun Valley. My son his dad and I really appreciate the staff. We are definately looking forward to next year.

Sun Valley Elementary School 3

Posted April 28, 2009

Sun Valley Elementary School 0

Posted March 04, 2009
The former principal, Mrs. Ragland was awesome. The teachers that y children had were great. The current principal is quite impersonal to have that position. It was like going from sunshine to clouds. If you were not in the 'elite' you were neither seen nor heard.

Sun Valley Elementary School
1010-18th Avenue NW, Birmingham, AL  35215
Last modified Sun Valley Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sun Valley Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top