Chalkville Elementary School

Public | K-5

Posted July 13, 2010

I love this school. My boys have attended Chalkville for the past 2yrs, but we recently moved and they have to go to a new school. Its amazing how the teachers and principles know the children's names and the parents when they see us coming! I was never worried about their education and safety. I am planning on purchasing a house in this school district again and send my boys back to Chalkville! I do believe that Jefferson County should give this school more funding because you won't find a better dedicated staff than this. I have nothing but good to say about this school.

Posted June 26, 2009

This is a very special school environment. I have seven children and GrandChildren. I am now involved in parenting my Great GrandChildren. My GGSon attended Kindergarten last year at this school. His Teacher was Mrs Mahler, a wonderful and caring Educator. He has learned much more than I would ever have anticipated from a Kindergarten. Everyone CARES about the children; their education and their personal well-being; the Office Staff, the Principal, the Teachers and the Lunch Room Staff. The school and grounds are always clean and well maintained. I highly recommend this school. R. D. Bob Champion, a GGParent.

Posted April 3, 2009

I can't say enough about Chalkville Elementary School. My child has attended since Kindergarten - 4th grade so far. This is one school that is very focused on the children making good grades. Every teacher my child has had are absolutely dedicated to their jobs. I love the no nonsense approach from the principals and teachers. The staff wastes no time in correcting any problems or issues with the students. We decided to continue to live in this area because of Chalkville Elementary School!! There, we know that our child is receiving the very best education. Diane McGill

Posted April 1, 2009

Chalkville Elementary School has quality teachers. The teachers methods of teaching recognizes true potential of their students. The school incorporate challenging opportunities for young childrens. The safety and discipline by the principal show good leadership. My grandchildren enjoy attending Chalkville Elementary (we give the school five stars).

Posted February 6, 2009

Chalkville Elementary School is a wonderful, very educational school. My son is in Mrs. Zoghby's class he really enjoy her and he says she is the most wonderful teacher he could ever meet, she really has teached him a lot of things. We thank you so much. Therefore my opinion Chalkville Elementary is a very good school.

Posted February 5, 2009

This school has a lot of things that need to change if they are to excel in education.Lack of money and lack of materials needed in the classroom are a serious problem.The teachers are wonderful but the county needs to invest more in the children's education.

Posted September 6, 2008

My children and i love this school. My children have learned so much. They really take the time to teach your student.

Posted February 4, 2008

The fourth grade teachers are # 1 at Chalkville El.. My daughter is in Mrs. McGaughey's room and is enjoying her so much. The teacher is young, pretty and well educated. My daughter is so fortunate to be in her class. In general, all the teachers seem to have the same attitude as Mrs. Mcgaughey. Go Chalkville EL!

Posted March 5, 2006

This school is wonderful.. The staff truely care for the children's education. It is a bit crowded, but that's due the growth in the area. It's a safe school. They are serious at this school and it shows thur the education provided. Very good.

Posted August 15, 2005

All 3 of my kids have went to this school and I have nothing but good to say about this school. The principal is outstanding and I give the teachers an A+. My kids love this school and have been very happy here and have learned alot. I recommend this school to any parent.

Posted January 23, 2005

All three of my children attended Chalkville. I have always been very impressed with the quality of the education they have received, as well as involvement from the teachers. They also have a wonderful PTA program, which seems lacking at other schools.

Posted July 22, 2004

My son has attended the elementary school for 2 years and I hate the fact that he and my other son will be attending the school this year. We will be moving so our children can go to a school were the parents are involved with their children and don't send them to school for a free daycare. I have been up at the school alot over the past 2 years and have seen to much. Alot of the parents expect the kids to raise them selfs or the teachers. It is not their jobs to raise everyone elses kids. The parents are not envolved with the school and it shows in the kids.

Posted May 7, 2004

Both of my children have now 'graduated' from here. It is a wonderful school, with an awesome principal! She truly cares about every child -- she knows them all and loves them all! What an environment to learn in! This is a wonderful school.

Posted April 13, 2004

this is my daughters first year attending Chalkville and I am most impressed with Mrs. Hunsinger, with the way she is obviously respected by the students.I was a little concerned when my daughter transferred there unaware of the # of kids attending. But she has adjusted well and and is always excited about going to school!She is 3rd grade so we a couple more years, so we are looking forward to the next two years. We are always telling others how happy we are since my child is there.

Posted March 3, 2004

All three of my children have attended Chalkville Elementary, of which my youngest graduates 5th grade this year. Each of them have had wonderful experiences at Chalkville. I have been pleased that 2 of my children have been in the RLC program, which has allowed them even more opportunites in learning. Every teacher along the path of learning has had a great impact on my children. I can reflect more recently on the education of my son in 5th grade. He has learned so much. His writing skills are extraordinary, because his teacher is a quality teacher. The principal is greatly respected by the students. I have no complaints. I am proud that my children have a great education from Chalkville Elementary. My sons SAT percentile scores are higher than my step son's in the same grade at a private school. Because of the number of students in this public system, it is unfair to compare it to the standings of private education. Private schools have the advantage of a lower teacher/student ratio, therefore, their standings can be higher. For Chalkville, they extend the same quality of education...but to a more diverse population. I give them my highest rating!

Posted February 13, 2004

When my son started there a couple of years ago I was worried because the number of children that attend Chalkville Elem.. I must say I'm most impressed with Mrs. Hunsinger, the Principal. She controls that school with great leadership and skill. I see her in the mornings greeting the children and in the evening making sure every kid gets to their bus or car. With the school being so small with so many children attending I'm amazed at how she handles everything. The teachers are wonderful and are there to help in an instant. I love this school and tell everyone how thankful we are for the teachers and Mrs. Hunsinger. Thanks for all you do!

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2012.

187 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2012.

186 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % level 3 or 4

In 2011-2012 Alabama used the Alabama Reading and Mathematics Test (ARMT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math. The ARMT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2012.

224 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2012.

224 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 91% in 2012.

218 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2012.

218 students were tested at this school in 2012.

All Students91%

Non-migrant88%
Poverty86%
Non-poverty94%
Scale: % level 3 or 4

The different student groups are identified by the Alabama Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students95%

Non-migrant85%
Poverty83%
Non-poverty92%

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2012.

216 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % level 3 or level 4

In 2011-2012 Alabama used the Alabama Science Assessment (ASA) to test students in grades 5 and 7 in science. The ASA is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficiency level 3.

Science

• Mr Rod Johnson
Fax number
  • (205) 856-6662

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now