Houston Co High School 3

Posted September 19, 2014
HCHS has a small attendance of students, many of which you might consider are of a disadvantage. As such, my student has had their locker broken into, clothing has been stolen, books, binders, pens, pencils... stolen! There are no lockers in the gym and the athletes have to leave their personal belongings behind in a duffel bag during pep rallies/games and personal belongings are stolen. The school needs lockers in the gym for students who are required to change from school clothes to uniforms. We now live in a time where our youth is being brought up without any parental guidance and run a muck. They have no conscience when it comes to taking something that doesn't belong to them. The school staff needs to step up and do a better job protecting their students. Perhaps if lockers are not in the budget, find an area or room with a locked door where the students can leave their personal belonging and make it mandatory all personal affects are locked up. The school staff and teachers for the most part are acceptable, however, there are a few who could benefit from a course in how to encourage your students rather than discourage a student by making disparaging remarks to them.

Houston Co High School 1

Posted July 10, 2011
I think that all of the people who say this is a great school must work there. I have children at this school, they are picked on, ridiculed, and made fun of by staff at this school, I wish that I could afford to move back home to Florida, schools there are great.

Houston Co High School 3

Posted November 23, 2010
Why is there no PTO (parent, teacher organization)? If such an organization were to exist, maybe more parents would take interest in their children's education and not wait until the child is failing. Although I don't have a problem with tenure in general, I do think that in order to be able to retain it, a teacher must meet certain requirements. For example, to treat students like humans and not talk to them like they are dogs, also, actually to have a calling to be teacher would be a plus.

Houston Co High School 0

Posted October 02, 2009
I used to go to Houston Coutny. I graduated a few years back. It saddens me though to read some of these comments that other students have posted. When trying to convince someone that a particular school is a good one and you can't type, spell, or speak proper english it doesn't help your case. I will say when I was there, several teachers did not supervise well. This, sadly, made it a lot harder for the ones that did. However the ones that did supervise did it well. I also agree with there not being enough parental involvement. That is also very sad to me. There were a lot of rude students when I went there, and respect to others and especially adults is something that should be learned at home. Overall though, I am very glad I went to Houston County. It is a nice school in great community.

Houston Co High School 0

Posted February 27, 2009
HCHS is overall a G`R`E`A`T School. I have two kids attending(11th and 12th grade). I am pleased to have chosen this school for my kids. The students seem to get along well with each other and they are supportive to each. That's a plus! My children are very active in extracurricular activities and their grades are excellent!! They have caring staff and my hats are off to you!! Thanks for a job well done!!

Houston Co High School 4

Posted February 19, 2009
I think our school sets a good example for our student body and the teaching staff is great!

Houston Co High School 5

Posted January 22, 2009

Houston Co High School 5

Posted November 20, 2008
I think this is a great school and it has gotten better in the last few years. There are a few teachers who don't supervise the students, and there are a lot of parents who allow their children to break rules and get mad if the kid is punished, but overall, this is a good school. It's small, clean, and most everybody is friendly. I would recommend sending your children to HCHS.

Houston Co High School 1

Posted August 25, 2007
- a former student

Houston Co High School 2

Posted February 19, 2007

Houston Co High School
202 West Church St, Columbia, AL  36319
Last modified Houston Co High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Houston Co High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top