Daphne Elementary School

Public | K-3

Posted October 7, 2013

We LOVE this school. Principal Jonathan Ellis has continued its tradition of creating a positive, loving learning environment that was perpetuated by longtime Principal Jan Palmer. Our daughter had special needs when we transferred her to the school at the start of second grade, and our son started kindergarten there that year. Through the efforts of the caring teachers, special ed staff, administration -- really, everyone working at the school -- my daughter progressed by leaps and bounds during her time there. My son is now in third grade and is doing wonderfully. Principal Ellis has exhibited dynamic leadership since he took the reins, and now in his second year there continues to make a great school better in terms of boosting parental involvement and trying new educational approaches.

Posted August 25, 2013

So far so great. Principal and teachers seem genuinely caring for the students. All staff say how much they appreciate help.

Posted April 19, 2011

This is a five star school that has a strong principal who shows great leadership. The teachers come together like family helping one another. We attended for 2 years (it is a k-3 school) and whenever the kids had an extra activity even in the evenings(choir) you could always count on seeing Mrs. Palmer (principle) showing support and encouraging her kids. From the Principle right down to the janitorial staff they all do their best to make it a safe, fun learning place for everyone right down to those in special ed. We only wished it continued at the way to 6th grade.

Posted November 5, 2009

The staff is always so friendly and the school is always keeped in beautiful shape!I have 2 children that attend and cant wait for my 3 child to start!

Posted March 27, 2007

I have had a wonderful experience with DES! I was sceptical of public school when I moved here but put my daughter at DES in her 1st grade year. This school is absolutely wonderful! The Principal is easy to approach and very into the students and their activities. She knows each student by name and is always outside every morning in the car pool line. The library, art department and the physical education departments are outstanding as well. This year my daughter got the best teacher I could have ever hoped for. Ms. Cashia. She is firm but fun and the kids respect her so much. My daughters grades have gone from so-so to honor roll every quarter. Finally, the office staff and the school nurse are all so caring and kind. I absolutely love this school! I am so thankful for everything this school has to offer.

Posted August 19, 2006

I don't know where to start! I love this school! Yes it is old, but boy does it have charm and the teachers are awesome. The cafeteria ladies are best! The school could use some TLC, but grounds are fantastic. I am so glad the board of education decided to keep the school as a K-3 and not have a mega K-6 school! The PE teachers are great with the kids, Coach Davis does a marvelous job with the students. I just wish this school went through the sixth grade! It is centrally located, easy to get to, unlike the other elementary school! Jan Palmer, the principal is awesome and shows her love for the students. The board of education only pays for art and music instruction every other week, I have witnessed many times over that students love art more than music. Art should be offered once a week!

Posted July 2, 2004

DES is an excellant school. We had a fantastic year in Kindergarten and looking forward to another great year in first grade. Everyone at this school loves children, from the cafeteria ladies, cross gaurd, and especially the teachers, principal and staff. I am grateful to be able to call DES our school. I do not think you could buy a better education or enviroment for your child.

Posted March 14, 2004

The principal at Daphne Elementary School does a superb job. Both of my children attended here (one is still there) and they have had a wonderful experience. The teachers are very caring and go out of their way to provide an environment that promotes learning. This school is very heavy in the arts and my children really liked that.

Posted October 7, 2003

I have a military family and so we move a lot. My daughter has been to 3 different schools all in different states in the past school year and I am proud to say that Daphne is by far the best. The parents are very involved in the childrens academics. The school has fundraising systems in place so that the students don't suffer at all from lack of funding. Overall it is a wonderful, beautiful, and safe environment.

Posted August 30, 2003

My little girl rides her bike on the sidewalks to the 1st grade at Daphne Elementary, a school we studied carefully studied carefully (including the information at this site) and compared to all of the elementary schools in the Mobile/Eastern Shore area. Daphne s elementary school is a 1930 s model with old window unit air conditioners. But I am plenty happy, because my little girl s first grade teacher is one motivated educator. Walking into the room, the blast of colors and visual learning aids (all self-constructed by the teacher and personalized for this year s incoming class) are intense. The teacher has a class photograph of each class she has ever taught on the wall. How many teachers have you ever met that had a photograph of each class from years back on the wall? I am glad to know that my daughter will be on that wall in years to come. The principal at Daphne Elementary is no slacker either. It rained cats and dogs on the first day of school, and the lady stood in the torrent with her rain gear in ankle deep water, directing traffic. I was looking at a real American hero. I ve worked plenty of 12 hour days without ever leaving the desk for lunch, but I suddenly feel outworked. Nike ought to sign her up on a multi-million dollar galoshes endorsement deal, and the high paid professionals that complain that our public school officials are overpaid ought to put some gel on their temples so the doctor can administer the electroshock therapy.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

2013

2011

2010

Reading

The state average for Reading was 87% in 2013.

2013

2011

2010

Scale: % level 3 or 4

In 2012-2013 Alabama used the Alabama Reading and Mathematics Test (ARMT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math. The ARMT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Source: Alabama Department of Education

Not migrant91%
Poverty85%
Not poverty97%
Scale: % level 3 or 4

The different student groups are identified by the Alabama Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Alabama Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 37%N/A56%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2307 Main St