Bad
Good

This is a good school to send your child to. The teachers are pretty good.

I have to say that after 2 years, and after just moving to the Northern Schools, which are ranked higher in the country than Alabama schools, I'm very satisfied with the education my child received at Daphne East Elementary. We had great teachers both years; my child exceled and loved going to school everyday. She fell in love with the reading test program(AR) that the school offers, something we don't have at the new school. Our last teacher really worked hard and loved the children. Going to the Friday snack issue, yes I did not agree with what was sold in this snack bar; I wish they would put more thoughts on these snacks since they were packed with sugar and very unhealthy process foods; however, as a parent you're in control, and you are not obligated to participate in any way on this money raising activity, which that's what we did, I still sent a nutritious snack to my child, and very few times gave her enough money to buy the most nutritious sold snack (popcorn). I loved how everyone that works in this school is very friendly, and how the school allows parents to be involved on their children education. The school is great and really challenged the children. Love DEES!

Wanted to share my dissatisfaction for this school. If there is any sort of learning difference the resource department is horrible. Be prepared for a fight. But not only that....one more thing that is appalling. Every friday the PTA sells Special Snack to the students. This happens during school hours, for every grade, during their "snack time" Kids line up at a concession window that is next to the lunch room and are free to purchase Special Snack. Special meaning it is horrible for you! A few of the items are......nachos (the kind you get at the movie theater)with or with out jalapenos , Slim Jims, gummy snacks, various ice-cream bars, fruit rollups, Capri Suns, and popcorn. What is shocking is this "old school style snacking" is being allowed in a public education environment. Some children come in with 5 to 10 dollars at a time and buy 2 nachos with extra cheese and a few ice cream bars. This seems so crazy to me. We know as a society that this is not good for children's brains. BUT yet that is put aside so that the PTA can earn money. Probably for "Project Jubliee" which is the "gifted program" The money is certinatly not going the resource department.

We moved here from the ATL area due to a job change. We chose to live in Baldwin County for the school system. My 7 year old daughter started the 2nd grade this year. Her teacher, the principal and office staff are nice and welcoming. I think this will be the best school she has attended since she attended Primrose for Pre-K. Wonderful!

Daphne East provides a warm, challenging and enthusiastic atmosphere for my children. We are not from this area yet my children were embraced and thrived academically from the start. I am very impressed with the teachers, staff and the principal's/vice-principal's leadership.

I am a parent of a six year old. she had gone to this school in kindergarden and now she is in first grade. she loves this school and loves her teachers. everyone there is so kind and helpful.everyone always seems so happy.

We moved to Daphne from So. Cal. and I didn't know what to expect because the reviews were so mixed. I love this school! The classroom sizes are much smaller than in Cali. The curriculum encourages understanding of concepts and not just rote memorization. See the Alabama Math, Science and Technology Initiative website. Also they have enrichment including a very active gifted program, Project Jubilee. The students will be getting Mac computers in Jan. 2014 with Rosetta Stone so they can choose any language they want to study and learn. The grounds are cheerful and clean and the only portable classroom is the art room. There is tremendous community pride in the local schools. What a pleasant surprise from California's apathy. Do no hesitate to send your child here. My 10 yr old loves it and has no trouble making new friends. Everyone has been extremely knid and helpful with our transition.

Awesome school, Great teachers and staff. My daughter was having problems at a private school in the area and this school really helped her get back on track.

I hate to agree with so many of the negative comments.. this school has wonderful potential but unfortunately a majority of the teachers that work here should not deal with kids on a daily basis. I was actively involved with school activities and could see first hand the awful way the children were treated by staff (including rude custodians and office staff). The academics are great but the majority of the teachers are not. Too many older teachers that think yelling and silent lunches are the way to get through to these kids. My kids couldn't wait to get out of there and to be honest the middle school is no better and Daphne high is a joke! If you are looking in this area for a school I have heard wonderful things about Spanish Fort and Fairhope. Knowing what I know now about this school I would have never enrolled my children there! My kids and I will not miss this school! (IF your child has any academic struggles you can forget about any real help unless you are willing to PAY one of the teachers to tutor your child after school!). *Or enroll and hope for one of the good teachers in each grade level! All great K teachers- the only exception but it is downhill from there!

I must agree with the others who left critical comments about this school. My son and daughter have both had horrible experiences here. Each year, I try to give the place a chance and hope that they next teacher will be better than last years. When it was announced that a new principal and assistant will be there this year, I decided to give the place a chance again. Unfortunately, he is not strong enough to penetrate the culture of complacency that exists. The teachers are not interested in doing what is best for the children, and he condones their behavior. Each year we have a teacher who yells or is unprofessional. One teacher even ridiculed my son in front of the other students for not having the same shoes as the other boys. There is a clique of parents who live in the same neighborhood. Those are the children who tend to get the best education. There is an incrowd, and if you aren't a part of it your child gets treated poorly. The school is constantly nickel and diming the parents for this or that. There is a new fundraiser each week, and it is not very clear where the money is being spent. This is our last year, my family has decided to put our children in private school.

Last modified Daphne East Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.