Posted March 15, 2013
We moved here 4 years ago.We had left a wonderful school system ,I was worried that my boys would have a hard time with school.Somerville Road Elementary was and is still the best elementary school.I love everything about the school.Teachers are wonderful..Any one moving to the area would love Somerville Road as we do .

Somerville Road Elementary School 0

Posted October 19, 2009
My autistic child attended Pre-K at Somerville Rd prior to entering Kindergarten at the elementary school that we're zoned for. I say with great pleasure that when his K teacher showed me the syllabus for his 1st semester of grade K, that my son was already able to do far above what she'd be teaching! This is a testament to the dedication of not us, although we've worked daily w/ him since age 2 on academics, but to his teacher at Somerville Rd. He's autistic, and that does play a role in him being able to recite every key of a keyboard (in order), but w/o the fortitude of a rock soid teacher, he wouldn't be where he is today.

Posted February 08, 2007
I have several children that attend school at Somerville Rd. They have been attending for 2 years now. I do believe that they attempt to do the best job possible with what is available to them but seem to fall short. The new principal is great....very accessible. In spite of the few flaws I think overall this is a good school and I believe the staff really does care.

Somerville Road Elementary School 2

Posted June 07, 2006
As a parent of a special needs child, my 'review' centers on the Special Education Program for Sommerville Road Elementary and involvement with the Administration. The Pre-K program was wonderful and the teachers and schools went to great lengths and beyond for my child. Items were purchased, even outside of the norm, to facilitate our needs. We were in constant contact on progress. But be careful when your child is moved 'into the system' by entering kindergarden. Our child was basically not given anything more than an ill-managed daycare would provide and what little information on progress was given was fought for tooth-and-nail. The school has no policy to go beyond the exact definitions of what is required to receive their 'No Child Left Behind' funding. If you decide the school is not in the best interest of your family you will have a long fight to have your school changed.

Posted March 29, 2006
I am a sub teacher. I must say, of all the schools I've had the privilege of working at, Somerville Road is thus far one of my favorites. The love and dedication the faculty shows to these students is outstanding! I've witnessed on numerous occasions hugs, high fives, soft words of encouragements, coats from the coat closet for those who didn't have, ect..... Teachers and staff, please continue to keep up the good work. You're doing a marvelous job considering the diverse group of wonderful students you have. As a parent and part time educator, I'd like to say thank you for all that you do for your students.

Posted May 13, 2005
The office staff isnt as friendly as other schools and often do not greet me there are some very kind teachers and the principal is nice but i believe parental involvement is a little low because maybe they dont feel very welcome when they visit the school. I know im not as eager to attend activities because of not so friendly encounters that i expierienced and i always treat others as i would want to be treated.

Posted September 08, 2004

Posted August 19, 2004
This school gets a bad rap because of low standardized test scores. What people forget is that the student population is, as the previous reviewer indicated, diverse and and includes segments not intended to test well on standard tests. Somerville has some of the most dedicated and talented staff all the way from teaching to janitorial (especially Ms. Flor!God Bless You!) Somerville Road should be congradulated for outstanding success in adversity.

Posted April 26, 2004
I think this is a great school! everyone is so caring! my child is in pre-k and she loves it! she can not wait til school next year! thank you so much to everyone!you all are wonderful!

Posted January 04, 2004
My child has benefitted from the high level of dedication on the part of everyone in the school building, from the custodians and cafeteria workers all the way to the principal. With such a challenging population (medically fragile, over 30% non-English speakers, emotionally disturbed, etc.), it would be easy to throw in the towel and give up. Instead, everyone sees these dynamics as a challenge.

Somerville Road Elementary School
910 Somerville Rd SE, Decatur, AL  35601
Last modified Somerville Road Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Somerville Road Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top