Decatur, AL

Posted March 11, 2014
My family moved to Decatur from out of state almost two years ago, and my daughter is about to finish her second year at Walter Jackson. I can't say enough good things about this school! We (my husband, daughter, and myself) absolutely love Walter Jackson and are so very pleased with our decision for our daughter to attend WJES. We will recommend WJ highly to anyone who asks and even to those who don't. The principal, teachers, and rest of the staff are all amazing, and the school itself is always well kempt. The culture and education that my daughter receive daily from her teachers and the diverse student population will last a lifetime.

Posted March 05, 2014
WJES is an excellent neighborhood school.It is always clean and so well maintained by their support staff. The ladies in the front office are always welcoming and eager to help. WJ contains great administrational leadership, with some of the most knowledgeable and caring teachers around. Combine these attributes with small class sizes and you have the recipe for an outstanding school environment. We chose to keep our kids at Walter Jackson also and have never once regretted that decision. I will only give WJES 5 stars for a rating because that is as high as the rating will go. I'm not big on anonymity - Rod Lovett

Posted March 02, 2014
I moved here from Fairfax County, Virginia and have high expectations for my children's schools. We researched all our options, private, public--in other districts and WJES, which is our district school. After speaking with other parents and touring the school multiple times, we decided WJES had what we wanted. We have not been disappointed. It is a wonderful gem of a school. My first grader is thriving, reading like crazy, developing leadership skills and loves school; and my 4 year old cannot wait to be a student there--she's already picked out her teachers. We are impressed by the academics, attention to arts and physical fitness as well as leadership and good citizenships. We could not be happier with our choice.

Posted March 02, 2014
Walter Jackson is a great school. I love its small school atmosphere. It is as close to you can get in small numbers as a private school. The administration is great and are always eager to help. The teachers have loved on my children and that is really important to know when you are away from your kids. We moved school districts to be able to go to a smaller school. The children are well taken care of and highly prepared. Walter Jackson has high test scores. The PTA at the school is also very proactive and is very involved. PTA welcomes any parents/guardians to come be a part of the school. It's a great place to send your children.

Posted February 28, 2014
I have two boys that attend Walter Jackson and have been very pleased with the school. The teachers/student ratio is low for most grades. The teachers are excellent and the small school atmospher is such that teachers in all grades seem to know all the children. The Administration is terrific and I have never had a incident where they didn't willing partner with parents to help a child in whatever way needed. The building may be older but the atmosphere and love the teachers have for their students is priceless.

Posted February 28, 2014
Walter Jackson is the best school in Decatur. It has a fantastic track record for the last 50 years. The teacher to student ratio is perfect, and the administration is very accommodating and conscientious. We and other parents we know have chosen to keep our son at Walter Jackson after being offered to opportunity to go to the magnet school. We chose to stay because the care and attention our child has experienced at the school and he loves it there. I would recommend Walter Jackson to anyone moving to Decatur because of all the things I have mentioned and it is located in a great section of town.

Posted February 28, 2014
We love Walter Jackson Elementary School! As a teacher at a different school in the same district, I can honestly report that I know a great deal about most of the elementary schools in our area (including those outside of Decatur City Schools), and I am proud to say that we would choose Walter Jackson over and over again! The educators and administration far exceed my expectations for what a school should provide educationally, morally, physically, and, most importantly, emotionally. I feel good knowing that I drop my 7-year-old off at a school every morning where he feels confident, comfortable, and excited about what is going to happen every single day.

Walter Jackson Elementary School 2

Posted March 20, 2013
This is a difficult review for me to write because the experience was so mixed for my child. His teachers were either great, or terrible. I had heard nothing but rave reviews about the administration, but that was the previous administration. This administration actually worked proactively to exclude me from the process. Rather than spill personal divorce related nonsense in this forum, I'll simply say that I have all of the emails and correspondence to support my statements. I will say that the PTA and parent support at this school are outstanding. I know that several dozens of my friends here have nothing but great things to say, but that was not my experience with this school.

Posted March 14, 2013
I have had two boys attend here 16 years apart. The teacher-student ratio is smaller than most elementary schools in the city and the scores are fantastic. Beyond all of that, this school has excellent PTA and community involvement. Extra curricular activities at this school include a week at Space Camp, a violin program, pioneer village trip, Alabama State Capitol trip and involvement in educational competitions. My oldest just graduated with a degree in Astro-Physics, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the benefits of Walter Jackson.

Posted March 14, 2013
I have sent two children through WJES in the last 8 years and I would not trade their time there for a million dollars. Walter Jackson really is the best kept secret in Decatur. It is the smallest elementary school in town, so the teacher/student ratio is excellent. The principal and teachers are wonderful and involved with all of the kids. The parent/PTA involvement is very strong and the kids consistently score at or above the local "magnet" school. As others have said, I wouln't even consider moving until my children had graduated out of WJES.

Walter Jackson Elementary School
1950 Park St SE, Decatur, AL  35601
Last modified Walter Jackson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Walter Jackson Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top