Posted May 30, 2013
Both of my children have attended CGE. Our current child is in 3rd grade and excelling in every subject. This is a 5 star school with 5 star teachers. Both of our children were invited to the magnet school. We remained at our neighborhood school and have never regretted it. They are both advanced and doing great. The school lunch program could improve, however I do believe that is an ongoing public school issue in general.

Posted March 24, 2013
The principal and teachers are outstanding. They have high expectations for student learning and teachers are held to high professional standards. The school has a wonderful school climate and children are taught to be the best they can be. Student achievement is recognized through national honor programs such as the National Beta Club and the National Honor Society for Elementary Schools. The staff focuses on the needs of each individual child for student achievement. The principal follows the performance of every student by reviewing every report card, interim reports, and classroom data. The PTA is the best to be found in any school and provides resources for instructional and school support through fundraising efforts. The staff has great camaraderie. Professional learning for teachers is on-going. The school has great support through its' community partnerships. It is a great place to be and is very child centered. Chestnut Grove is located in a beautiful community with access to a middle school and high school. Decatur City Schools are great schools.

Posted March 22, 2012
2nd time around, 8 years later and the teachers are still great. Leader In Me is still going strong. Love the netbooks for the 5th graders. The PTA is still working hard too. Glad to be back.

Chestnut Grove Elementary School 4

Posted October 20, 2010
I like the school and teachers. We moved here from Fairfax County, Virginia, where the schools are second to none. I feel that CGES can compete with any of the schools in that county. However, I do wish there was better communication between the school and the parents. I have received notices only 2 days before an activity or event. I check my daughter's backpack every day so I know I would not miss an announcement. They need to have a better system to notify parents of info and upcoming events.

Chestnut Grove Elementary School 0

Posted January 03, 2010
My Granddaughter attends this school, and as much as I miss her(I live in LA.) her school is teaching her so much! it is a better school then she would have here. much better!The learning experience for her is awesome! so many opportunities for her, a great school! Maw-Maw Cerny

Chestnut Grove Elementary School 1

Posted February 20, 2008
As a second time around parent at Chestnut Grove - I remember being promissed that the trailers would be removed by the time my child was in 5th grade. He is 19 now and my younger child is in the third grade - still there. The school is over-crowded, teachers are stretched to the maximum with in-flux of additional students, and overall, the feeling at CGES is - don't ask or comment - we will handle it (as in parental involvement). The only thing I dread more is going to another round of Austin High.

Posted January 05, 2008
As a former teacher, I watch and listen with critical senses. I am forever amazed at the dedication, patience, and passion that the teachers have at CGE! I have two children enrolled and declined invitations to the local magnet school. We have a PTA that is 2nd to none and provides funding for any worthy program or idea our teachers have. Our principal will not be found wearing a bunny costume at Spring fling, but make no mistake, every decision she makes is made with our children's best interest at heart.

Posted February 01, 2006
Chestnut Grove is an excellent elementary school, with a dedicated caring faculty and staff! This year they have started an amazing new program for students. Mrs. Angie Whittington is training the students in Stephen Covey's Seven Habits of Highly Effective Teens, as well as coaching teachers to use those principles in their day to day teaching strategies. The goal is to train all staff and students to maximize their potential by using these basic principles of leadership. I can already see such a positive difference in my children! They are learning responsibility, leadership characteristics, and the importance of setting goals for their lives. The positive atmosphere in this school reinforces the students' sense of self-worth and self-esteem! I appreciate the role these wonderful teachers are playing in my childrens' education. Thank you Mrs. Lauretta Teague, Mrs. Whittington, and all of our faculty and staff of Chestnut Grove Elementary School, Decatur, Alabama!

Posted May 24, 2004
My child had Ms. Whittington this year and she is the best teacher I have ever seen. Mrs. Teague is also amazing. I love this school!

Posted January 04, 2004
Mrs. Teague has done an exceptional job as principal of Chestnut Grove Elementary. She is warm, loving and nuturing to the children in her school. She provides her faculty with innovative professional development training, ensures that students are being challenged academically to meet the Alabama Courses of Study criteria and she establishes a positive rapport with all of her students by allowing them to come into her office regularly to read to her. My hat goes off to Mrs. Teague and her faculty!

Chestnut Grove Elementary School
3205 Cedarhurst Dr SW, Decatur, AL  35603
Last modified Chestnut Grove Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Chestnut Grove Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 12 reviews.