PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Develops character: Strongly agree

Our school's honor code instills these character traits in the students.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

On balance the teachers are very effective, but as in any school some are more effective than others.

My husband I and are from different school back grounds- one independent school educated and one public school educated. In the beginning, we decided to just see how it went with our children. Houston Academy won us over! The school is like an extended family. Our two children have made life long friends with not only classmates, but with the faculty and staff. The academics are challenging and engaging. Teachers are invested in their students. Not only do the teachers want to produce academically top-notch students, but well rounded, caring people who will lead us in the future. It is not uncommon to see teachers supporting the students outside of school in both school related and non- school related extra curricular activities. My husband and I have no doubts about the decision we made for our children to attend Houston Academy. It is the BEST school in the Wiregrass area.

Houston Academy is by far the strongest school in our area. However, there is definitely room for improvement!

This is our 11th year at Houston Academy with 2 children. We love the individual attention each child has been given. The teachers here are fantastic and you can tell they enjoy the subjects they teach. They look for ways to push my kids without stressing them out. The administration is constantly finding ways to better the school and for the that I am grateful.

Handles bullying effectively: Neutral

I have had no issues with bullying.

Supports LD students: Agree

Every child learns differently and I feel that the teachers are always looking for a way to connect.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Each child (at different times) has struggled or needed extra help with some subject. Their teachers are always available to come in early or stay late as needed.

Amount of homework: Neutral

Honestly, I have no way to judge that because this is the only school we have been. However, my children play sports and are involved in numerous activities so homework hasn't slowed them down too much.

We are new to HA. The Director of Admissions and Upper School Guidance Counselor assisted us in the enrollment process in record time due to a very quick relocation to Dothan. After the second day of school, my son seemed relaxed and happy and already made friends. He really likes his classes and teachers. The small class sizes are amazing for individual attention. In addition to great, traditional academic classes, the elective choices are outstanding! My husband and I attended Open House and were so thrilled to meet teachers with such passion for their subject areas and for teaching. Additionally, they genuinely care about their students and want them to succeed. They come in to school early and will stay late to help students who need extra help. They offer a "Short Term" in the spring for students to take classes, take a class trip to Europe or visit colleges...or even do career exploration. If you are contemplating changing schools within Dothan or you are relocating to Dothan, I highly recommend Houston Academy! I know that my son will be well-prepared for college and life after graduating from HA. I have never seen a more dedicated faculty and staff. Thank you, HA!

Last modified Houston Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-12