Mt Olive Elementary School 2

Posted September 12, 2013
Our child just started this school. We are a military family, and out of all the states we have lived in and all the schools our child has attended, this is the worst school ever. It's in a very poor community (or so, it looks that way and seems that way, but there are tons of expensive subdivisions around us). Some of the teachers teach multiple subjects, and I wonder if some of them are even specialized or trained in those subjects. Our child dislikes this school already, and it's only been a few weeks. Communication is very poor at this school. You never see the principal. The school has bare white walls like a prison and there is absolutely nothing in this school to motivate the kids to want to learn. The classrooms are ridiculously and hideously small, unorganized, and boring. The lunchroom is plain as day, and the lunchroom ladies are very "ghetto" and unprofessional. My child asked me how is a teacher supposed to teach you proper speech when the teacher uses improper speech all the time like saying "you is". There are no sports, no extracurricular activities (except for some out of town drama class that costs $180 for kids to do once a week for a few weeks). Don't go here.

Mt Olive Elementary School 1

Posted March 15, 2013
Everyone here must not have a special needs child. The school is negligent when it comes to these children. They either do not know what the Special Needs Code in Alabama requires them to do, or they simply don't care. I have two special needs children here, one is gifted and the other has an emotional disorder. Neither have been given the resources they need. We won't be returning next year.

Posted March 03, 2013
I am SO happy with the new principal. She is a blessing and is doing GREAT things with the school. She DOES care and is on top of everything. My daughter is in 4th grade, she also has asthma and everything is going smoothly. She is allowed to go to the nurse anytime she cannot breathe so well. As parents, WE need to be involved in the school as much as we can and the principal encourages just that! You get out what you put in and if parents, teachers, principals are all working together, it makes for a GREAT system.

Posted November 10, 2012
My son is in 3rd grade currently, has been attending MOE for about 2 1/2 years now. The school as a whole hasn't been that great until recently having hired new principles. Tammy Barnes is doing an exceptional job in her leadership! My son has been blessed to have great teachers for 1~3 grade, and he makes As and Bs. He hasn't had a huge issue with bullying, and I know the school is currently undergoing huge changes....it cannot happen overnight, so the parents whom complain about everything should consider being completely involved in your children's well being in both school and home. Volunteer at the schools, and if you are unable to do so, there are many other ways to help out. BE INVOLVED IN YOUR CHILD'S EDUCATION!! Don't just send them to school and leave it up to the school to make your child have perfect behavior, work ethic, good grades, etc. You have to start this at home!! I think that is where a lot of parents fail, and are disgruntled about the school. Show your child and child's teacher that you care about both their education and well being....I promise it will make a difference. MOE is not the worst school around! Everyone together makes the difference!!

Posted November 09, 2012
I moved here in 2007 and was worried about the school. What I have found is that everyone there is fantastic. My children all score extremely well on the standardized tests and do very well in school also. I heard all the stories and just so everyone is clear, just like any other school, the school is what you make of it. The group that graduated to the middle school LAST year, had a bullying problem, and this group had this issue since kindergarten and no matter what anyone did, the problem remained. If they removed one child, one more simply fell into that slot. However, those children are now in 7th grade and thankfully they have been mixed in with the other schools and the problem has calmed down. But I still have two children at MOPS and MOIS and I am completely happy. The teachers care VERY much about the children as does the administration. Everyone there takes the time to get to know each child based on his/her own experiences so that they are not influenced by situations stemming from the past. Also, children are not punished for their past actions; instead are treaded accordingly to the current situation. I LOVE this school.

Mt Olive Elementary School 3

Posted September 07, 2012
This school is going through a lot of growing pains. The surrounding area exploded as did the number of students. The school was separated into 2 schools. Mount Olive Primary (grades K-2) and Mount Olive Intermediate (grades 3-6). The principals in both schools are new (as of school year 2012/2013). They both seem like they are eager to make the necessary changes for the better. We are only a month into the new school year and I can already tell that communication efforts between parents and teachers has improved dramatically. (Especially on the Intermediate side. The Primary side of the school is still lacking the communication skills.) Test scores on this site are out of date and have not been updated since 2010. I can say that last year they past the ARMT standards. My biggest complaints regarding this school is that there is no recess and no music class. They do have PE every day but the ratio for PE teachers to students is 1:60 (Approx.) There are 2 classes having PE at the same time with only one PE teacher. This school has the potential to be a great school they just need to under go some major improvements in order to be considered better than average.

Posted August 27, 2011
Anyone with a child at MOE is blessed. The Secretary, Kim Sellers, is great with calling parents if there is a need. She loves on the kids like they are her own and if she isn't answering the phone, it's because she is being a nurse, teachers aid, etc... As my child started middle school, I was covered in compliments about her scholastic excellence. We have the best teachers anywhere! I do however hate to see that they have "silent lunch" all the time because they are talkig too loud in the lunchroom...this is their time to "be kids" and talk. Our principal keeps our school VERY safe and has no Asst. Principal, so she has to make all decisions, and can never please everyone. ENJOY YOUR TIME AT MOE!!! YOU WILL BE SAD WHEN YOU GET TO MIDDLE SCHOOL AND SEE HOW THINGS WORK!

Mt Olive Elementary School 1

Posted August 26, 2011
As a parent I am disgusted of how things run in this school. Principle and teachers do not care about the children and are clearly there for a paycheck. If I could I would have never bought a home here simply because of the school. The school is 8 minutes away but takes the bus over an hour to drop off my kids. I tried calling the school several times and nobody picks up the phone! Please be aware!!

Posted July 29, 2010
As a military parent and a native Alabamian I feel that I had to write this review. i read over some of the other reviews and could not disagree more. I found the teachers and the principal more than concerned about the kid's education. I received notices when my children were not doing the things that they were supposed to do. My children were both AB honor roll and fared well on the standardized tests. The shortcomings that i did note were simply due to a lack of adequate funding...the tools are definitely there for it to be a top notch school. I tried to give the rating a 3.5 because of the lack of funding but could only put it in whole star ratings; otherwise I have no major issues with the school. I will say that I do not feel that the parents were not involved enough...

Posted December 17, 2009
When we first moved here, I was very nervous about sending my daughter to the school. I was wrong, all of my expectations were wrong. This is a great school. The teachers are amazing and the school does so many things for the kids. There is always some sort of activity going on. My daughter is in the 1st grade and she did not do so well in Kindergarten. The teacher did not care and her work was always messy and non-readable. Now she has straight A's and is doing awesome.

Mt Olive Elementary School
454 State Hwy 165, Fort Mitchell, AL  36856
Last modified Mt Olive Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mt Olive Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top