Gardendale High School

Public | 9-12 | 1071 students

Posted August 28, 2009

i am a 2007 graduate from gardendale high school. i was involved in academics, sports, etc. while i was enrolled at ghs, i learned all skills that it took me to be able to succeed in the real world. everything that the teachers taught me in the classroom come to pass when i stepped foot across that stage. the teachers take an extra interest in their students and are willing to take that extra step to guarantee the top quality education, discipline, and safety that it takes to see any child to succeed in life. dr. vacca, along with the rest of the administrative staff, is a dedicated and devoted staff eager to see the improvements of a student both as educators, and as character builders. if your child plays sports, you will not find a better extracurricular program than ghs. because once a rocket, always a rocket. GO ROCKETS!!!!!!

Posted August 28, 2009

We transferred to this school and they offer alot more elective classses to help prepare your child for there future.

Posted September 3, 2008

My child is getting a much better education at this school than the one she was previously in. It could be a lot worse. I realize that the school is not perfect as my child will tell me. The main complaint I have had has to do with the math department. A certain teacher had problems with teaching. my child had to actually show them how to do some of the work!! I hope they will acknowledge the problems as they have been told numerous times. I attended a school that was not half as good as this one and I am paying for it today. Parents get involved and make it a better school!

Posted April 12, 2008

I graduated from GHS in 2001. I had some friends that went to Mortimer Jordan who said that our academic quality was low. However, there were great opportunities at GHS to take advanced classes and the curiculum was strict even in regular classes. Many of my college friends and professors were amazed at the advanced level I was at in math and english from the classes at GHS. It really helped a lot to prepare me for college level work.

Posted May 21, 2007

I graduated from GHS in 2005 and currently attend the University of Alabama. I had always heard that Gardendale was on the lower end of academics compared to some of the larger schools but these conclusions failed to hold up in college--the ultimate test. At the University, I am a straight A student with a 4.02 GPA. I have been well prepared to handle the academic load, and I am at the top of all of my classes. Several of my friends from these larger schools, however, are confused as to why they made good grades in high school and are struggling in college. I now have no doubt that Gardendale High School offers equal (if not superior) academic preparation.

Posted August 14, 2005

I graduated at Gardendale High School in 1983. My oldest son graduated in 2004 and now my youngest son is just now beginning high school there. I think that have excellent teachers there. They do need to go back to having the special classes for the children with learning disablities because that seem to help my oldest son have more confidence in dealing with people in the work force of today. Also, they need to have some more technical classes that will prepare the children for the job world of today since alot of parents can't afford to send their children to college. I would say that any parent whose child goes to this school should not have any worries that they are getting the best education possible.

Posted August 1, 2005

I currently attend Gardendale High School and I think that the acidmic pragrams could do with a little overview, but what school's couldnt? Most of the teachers are well trained and do their job well except when they have very disrespectful students. So if your child isn't doing well, blame it on the student, no the teachers. The parent involvment isn't great, but it's good enough. GHS has great band and choral programs. The math could be better, but its not has horrible and alot of people have said. The teachers are good, they just dont get the credit they diserve. And yeah, sometimes we do watch educational movies, but what in the world is wrong with that?!

Posted May 23, 2005

I am a graduate of Gardendale HS. I made many of my best memories there. There are many ways for parents and students to get involved. I was impressed with the math department at Gardendale. I recently graduated from a university cum laude, and I believe that I was well equipped in all areas to take on the challenges of college. The teachers do their best with what they have. The math department there was the place that I got the most encouragement and help! The only teachers that I have kept in touch with are 2 of my math teachers that made a huge impression on my life. Without hesitation I would allow my children to attend Gardendale High!

Posted February 25, 2005

Gardendale high school isn't a terrible school. However, it could be a lot better! i myself graduated from g'dale in 1984 - even then the class size was nowhere near 14! give me a break! someone said it's more like 30+. Students have a lot of free time in their classes. I hear at least once a week ' we watched movies in 1st block' or ' we play cards in 1st block'. It's unreal! i am amazed at the high price of homes in g'dale - for the schools your child must attend. That is why i am on this site - i have one child graduating and one entering the 9th grd. I will see that my 9th grader doesn't attend g'dale high school. She is an a student and i want her to be prepared for college -something i'm not sure will happen at g'dale high school.

Posted February 23, 2005

From reading the review by james reid who says 'me and wife have lived in gardendale' along with many other gramatical errors, i would say the english department needs help, too. But overall, i agree with the writer who states that help is there. Perhaps you child didn't tell you that the math teachers are available every morning at 7:30 and afternoons also. Perhaps your child didn't tell you that they didn't do their homework. Look at your involvement before you critize a teacher. Look at your child before you criticize a program. What can you and your child do? After all, it's your responsibilty to make sure your child is prepared and ready to learn, that your child does homework. Perhaps some of you would like to have the teacher come home and cook supper, too?

Posted December 3, 2004

I read all the reviews and everyone has a different one. The teachers now have the attitude that they are going to get paid regardless of who ever learns anything. Yes, the A & B students are the favorites and the others get no help unless they ask. The teacher is suppose to know who needs help and GIVE IT to them. As one parent said, it us usually too late when they find out their child is failing. Progress reports and / or grades should be on-line on a weekly basis with all work assignments etc. So everyone will be on the same page and know how there child is doing at any given time. They need to start a class just for a website and all those A students in Math can input the information into the system for all parents to see.

Posted September 13, 2004

Other schools provide information regarding your child online. This one does not. By the time you find out how your child is doing, it is too late.

Posted May 25, 2004

Where did they get 14 students to every teacher? Its more like 30 students to every teacher.

Posted May 14, 2004

I currently go to GHS and I agree that the Math department is definetely not the best. I entered GHS with a 99 average in Math and in a few weeks it dropped all the way down to a 78. I have always been a straight A student. Most of the teachers are not as bad as the rumours say they are. It would be much better if the kids would actually pay attention. Maybe their parents should raise them to respect their teachers then the teachers would do an excellent job. I love GHS!! Go Rockets!

Posted May 3, 2004

I currently attend Gardendale High School, and do agree that it does not have the best educational skills as some other schools. Although some of the teachers are not that great, the student will learn if he or she wants to. I also agree that the math department is not that great. In fewer words, it's horrible. We have very few teachers that are able to teach, and very few who actually care to help the students. Speaking personally, I know that when a student is confused, some teachers will only help them if they have straight A's. Some teachers complain about students not completing homework, if the homework is not explained, how are we supposed to know how to complete it. Overall, GHS could be a productive school, but there are just a few changes that need to be made.

Posted May 3, 2004

I currently attend GHS. I think that there are very few teachers who really care about the students or teaching at all. Most of the teachers here arent even qualified to teach the subjects they are teaching or just dont know how to teach them. I think the math program is the worst. There is only 1 teacher in the math department that I have had that cared enough to teach me anything. Overall I have had a great time at GHS. The teachers here are fun; if they dont feel like teaching we watch an 'educational movie'. If you want your child to grow up and be a movie reviewer for your local newspaper send them here; for they will be trained well. There is very little protection for your the students here; over 5 buildings and one Cop to protect us all.

Posted April 9, 2004

I made some of the best memories of my life at Gardendale High School. There are great respectable teachers there who really care about their students. It was a great and fun environment to learn in. No the math program isn't perfect but what school is? Parents are allowed to participate as much as they want to be. If you want to be involved in your child's education then do it! The school is not to blame if you don't take the time to help out. Thanks Gardendale for years that I will never forget!

Posted March 29, 2004

Not happy at all with Gardendale High School. School does not incougage Parent involvement. Principle leadership is very poor. Teacher quality from what I have seen is very poor. I am sure there are some good teachers their but very few. Me and my wife have lived in the Gardendale area all our life but we are thinking about moving so our children will have a better school to attend.

Posted August 12, 2003

I compelety disagree with the comment that the math department is bad at GHS. My son made A's and B's and is going to college on a scholarship. Most of the math teachers get to school early and stay late to help any students who are having problems. They encourage students to have study groups that meet in their classrooms so they can give help or other assistance. From my experience, most of the parents whose children don't do well, wait until their child have failed most of the class before they try to help them. Students must do all homework and ask for help. Parents have to do their part too. Gardendale has many good teachers not only in the math dept, but in other subjects too. Parents have to put their childs education at the top of the list and stop expecting the teachers to give grades.

Posted June 17, 2003

Gardendale High School needs to review their math program, because they have the worst teachers teaching math especiall in the 10grade. The teachers are there to help the children and when a child needs help the teacher should be willing to help them or make an effort to find someone who can help them. There are rumors all that Gardendale has the worst math teachers of any school. We need to review these teachers and see why they cannot teach. My child was very good in math up until the 9th grade and after that it went down hill. The teacher he had did not show any interest in a child who needed help. She was only interested in her straight A students. All kids need help from time to time and if the child is not doing good take that child and see what they can do for them. Teachers do get paid good money to teach and they should be there for all the kids.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 95% in 2012.

257 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Language

The state average for Language was 75% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2012.

258 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2009.

208 students were tested at this school in 2009.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 71% in 2012.

Scale: % passing

In 2011-2012 Alabama used the Alabama High School Graduation Exam (AHSGE) to test high school students in reading, math, language, biology and social studies. High school students must pass the AHSGE in order to graduate. The AHSGE is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 98% in 2012.

218 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Language

The state average for Language was 90% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 95% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 94% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 94% in 2009.

220 students were tested at this school in 2009.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 90% in 2012.

All Students96%

Non-migrant75%
Poverty58%
Non-poverty82%
Scale: % passing

The different student groups are identified by the Alabama Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students100%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 32%N/A56%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Nurse(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music