Creekside Elementary School

Public | K-5

Posted yesterday

This review is only a review of the first grade. My child is in first grade at CSE, and WOW it is disappointing. In kindergarten the teacher seemed to care about the kids, and worked hard to teach them, but first grade is totally different. In first grade my kid comes home with work books, the kind of things you think they will do in the classroom, you know the stuff they should be learning in class. I always thought homework is for reviewing what the child has learned that day, and this year it would appear I thought completely wrong! In at least my child's first grade class the teacher reads them stories when they are not at things such as lunch or PE. THE TEACHER JUST SITS AND READS TO MY KIDS! WHAT KIND OF LEARNING IS THAT?! MY KID IS IN FIRST FREAKING GRADE NOT PRE-SCHOOL! Then my child comes home and I spend an hour teaching my kids to read and spell, once again me, I'm teaching my child first grade stuff not the person paid to teach. CSE First grade, story time for school work and home time is for learning! CSE first grade If you want your child to go here you might want to go ahead and get a degree in education.

Posted March 20, 2014

I teach all over Huntsville and have seen a lot of schools. My children go to Creekside, and I m pleased. As for "cold offices," I agree they need more warmth.But the front desk is knowledgeable or will find an answer, unlike many schools. It s efficient, warm or not. Parents shouldn't have full access to school.Lunchtime, crafts, parties, and reading is plenty, save distractions/authority issues.Not every parent is safe. I don t like PE. Too many kids, not enough space, not organized for games or learning fitness.Early gym classes don t get outdoor time due to the temp. Kids need fresh air every opportunity. They re behind in electronics. I do NOT like how teachers are using ipads to constantly test in other schools, but see the benefit for other purposes. All the arts are minimal and underdeveloped. Scholastically it s excellent.Teachers are thorough, loving, communicate well, and take time to go back to review things the class does not understand.They are learning driven instead of results driven.They address leadership in a way that teaches kids to do their best and work well with others.They work with the new systems our govt. is enforcing and making it work despite its flaws.

Posted June 6, 2013

CES is what you make of it. It's a county school so funding has to be split amongst smaller county schools. The school is great about finding alternative ways to get what it needs, through PTA, etc. There are a handful of teachers I would probably cry if we got placed with but our personal experience has been amazing. The teachers go above and beyond what's required to keep the kids challenged and working hard. My problems with the school can only be fixed if they get additional necessary funding. We are bigger than a city school and have less resources to work with. When you look at it like that, Creekside is going above and beyond any other local school around here.

Posted May 10, 2013

I love Creekside Elementary School and my daughter does as well. She, as well as every student who attends, has many opportunities in which to be a leader. The administrators and faculty work well together. Parents are very supportive and involved at Creekside. No school is perfect...that includes CES. I feel CES, like other great schools, is constantly looking for ways to improve.

Posted February 18, 2013

CES is not a school which cares about children with special needs. The only people who like Creekside are those people who are part of the 'in crowd '. The school is run based on popularity. Only the people who kiss up to the principals are happy with the way the school is being run.

Posted June 21, 2012

CES is a great school with great students, teachers and principals. I totally disagree w/ the last post concerning special education. I think this school goes above and beyond for all students. Mr. Scott, Mr. Taylor and Mrs. Adams and the teachers have high expectations for the behavior of all of our kids. All of the teachers my kids have had are excellent, well-prepared, challenging and loving. Everyone @ CES genuinely loves kids. My kids love the PE teachers, Art and Music as well. I do wish more parents would get involved. My kids love to go to school and CES is a GREAT school.

Posted October 30, 2011

If you have a child with special needs,I would not recommend this school.Never have a been made to feel worse about the "behaviour" than I have here.I am very hurt & dissapointed in what my child has been through!

Posted May 4, 2010

Creekside is an excellent school. I feel my son is safe, nurtured and challenged to be the best young man he can be,

Posted December 13, 2009

I completely agree about the front office being cold. They do not smile when I walk in to pick up my child or even say hi. The curriculum is not challenging enough. They treat these children as if they are in boot camp. The staff are very unprofessional. I am very dissatisfied with this school. If I had a choice about where my children go to school it would not be at Creekside Elementary.

Posted August 18, 2008

My daughter just started her 3rd year at Creeksde. We all love this school. We have never had any complaints about the principal, teachers or anything else that concerns her education.

Posted June 24, 2008

My child has been attending Creekside for the past 2 years now nad loves this school. The teachers have been very attentive and forthcoming with me as a parent. I do agree with some earlier comment that some parents get treated better than other because of 'financial' issues but in my opinion, they have the kids that are going to grow up and be snobby and only care about material things when education should be their top priority. I do believe that Creekside should/could offer some extra activities after school such as a basketball team, football team, cheerleading squad. There are plenty of parents that would be willing to help in these areas.

Posted May 29, 2008

Creekside is an awesome school with great leadership and teachers. Mr. Scott does a great job and it is apparent all the kids love him. Mr Hamilton is very personable as well. I have 2 children, 1 in 5th grade the other in 3rd and they have received support from all their teachers and great instruction. We worked very hard to move to this school district and are very pleased.

Posted January 16, 2008

I've not been happy with this shool at all. The front office people are cold and really make me wonder what the school is doing with my children as they will not let you in without an appt. My oldest is so unhappy. His teacher get's on him about not turning in homework. Only to find that he had and she graded it but did not put it in her grade book. Out of all the schools we've been to this is the worst. My child has never had this problem before. He's very good about doing his homework and turning it in on time. At this time all I want is for my child to get through this year and get him out of the school. My other child has a great teacher, no problems at all.

Posted August 13, 2007

Very good school overall. I agree there are a few areas of improvement but there are always a few at most schools. We have had wonderful teachers every year...very good with the students and great communication with parents. Mr. Scott is a wonderful principal. The growth of the school comes with some growing pains...like larger class sizes and added portables....but I think this school works hard to do the best with what they have and in our years there each school year seemed better than the one before.

Posted March 6, 2007

I totally disagree with what some of the below comments said about the leadership in this school. The Principal is doing a fantastic job and always makes me feel welcome when visiting. I agree that the front office staff is a bit cold at times and need to show a bit more 'southern hospitality' to the parents; however, in today's world, you can never be too careful. Maybe they are just very cautious about security which we need. My #1 praise for this school are the caring teachers. The ones I've had go over and above their call of duty. My only complaint is the PTO. I signed up to get involved 2 years and have yet to receive a phone call. We also need a monthly newsletter to stay informed. I think parents would participate more and we would feel more a part of the school. Go Indians!

Posted February 27, 2007

There are some issues I've had with the school, and I don't see them changing anytime soon, but I am blessed in the fact that my child's teacher really cares about the kids and tries to make their day fun and educational. The office staff can be a little cold and rude, and playtime outside should not be [where it is] in my opinion, but what can one person do about that? I think there are safer, more fun places they could be for free time. I think some ridiculous policies are the most enforced ones and the ones that really should matter-don't. That upsets me. But, my child's teacher tries to love each child individually and really cares, in my opinion. That accounts for something and also makes up for what is lacking in the school.

Posted February 26, 2007

Car line is very organized. PE is too strict, I agree, this is not boot camp. The reception is very cold in the office. Grade 4 has been a nightmare for my son here . Out of classroom services ie. counselor and aid teacher sided with teacher on every problem, not listening to me the parent without a question. Had no problem the year before. They need a monthly newsletter to pull parents into the school (not everyone has internet) and some afterschool activities would be great.

Posted February 22, 2006

My son attended Creekside the first year it was open. He was a 5th grader. I have never been so turned off by a school in my life. And my 3 older children have attended many schools all over the country. Some 'preferred' parents were treated very well. But I agree with the folks here who said they felt it is a cold enviroment. Now I have a child nearing Kindergarten age and I'm really worried about sending her there. It appears nothing has changed in 5 yrs. What a shame! I spent as much time as possible volunteering and felt like I was NOT welcome any further than the parking lot most days!

Posted June 14, 2005

This school needs to work on its leadership.It would see its parental involvement increase as a result. The administration caters to a select group of parents and teachers in an attempt to maintain harmony rather than order. Also, where is the much-hailed new principal during morning car duty? Dr. Gartman was there every morning.

Posted February 12, 2005

I don't know what school the last person was talking about, Creekside is a wonderful school with caring people. Maybe the problem is in your view of your self. I have always been treated with respect and a willingness by the administrators and staff to help me with anything I have requested. With a school as large as Creekside, I am sure is difficult to see and accomodate everyone everyday. Maybe a private school is what you need, but I'll bet you will be back! Satisfied Creekside Chief Parent!

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2012.

186 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2012.

186 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % level 3 or 4

In 2011-2012 Alabama used the Alabama Reading and Mathematics Test (ARMT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math. The ARMT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2012.

158 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2012.

158 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 91% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2012.

All Students83%

Non-migrant92%
Poverty79%
Non-poverty96%
Scale: % level 3 or 4

The different student groups are identified by the Alabama Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students71%

Non-migrant88%
Poverty78%
Non-poverty93%

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2012.

Scale: % level 3 or level 4

In 2011-2012 Alabama used the Alabama Science Assessment (ASA) to test students in grades 5 and 7 in science. The ASA is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficiency level 3.

Science

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 27%N/A56%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

16049 Sanderson Rd