Harvest School

Public | K-5 | 695 students

Posted May 21, 2014

I've seen this school go from marginal to exceptional in the 5 years my son has attended. Test scores got better every year and the leadership at the school improved every year as well. There are some truly great teachers here and they seem to genuinely care about the kids. They are definitely headed in the right direction!

Posted January 4, 2013

Given the dedicated and hard-working administration and faculty, Harvest Elementary School is a fantastic environment for learning. The Principal and Vice-Principal are dedicated to the academic and personal growth of each student, and I'm convinced that the HES teachers translate that into excellence in the classroom. One does not have to dig too far under the surface to find a group of teaches that are committed to the HES student body in mind and soul, and many have served that school and our community for years. I will be eternally grateful for all involved in the development of my child these past six years.

Posted June 21, 2011

I attended Harvest Elementary School from Pre-K through fifth grade. I have now graduated high school. When I attended Harvest, it was an amazing school. I was always involved in some learning experience, and the teachers were always there to help in any way possible, and to challenge us. I had the same principal as is there now, and many of the same teachers. Looking back, I am proud to say that I attended this school, for it prepared me exceptionally for middle school. I would not have wanted to go anywhere else.

Posted April 30, 2010

I have three kids attending this school and am so glad the year is coming to an end! There is so much micr-managing going on at this school that it is obvious the principle does not believe the teachers can handle their jobs nor does it seem that there is any faith in the childrens ability to achieve greatness. The expectations are low and the challenges are far and few between. I want nothing more than to enroll in a different school next year!

Posted April 29, 2010

all my kids went there,great teachers,and overall school!

Posted January 5, 2009

I worried about my child attending Harvest because of the talks about the principal. I have not directly had to deal with her but I feel there is a little tension between the teachers and the principal. I have not encountered a teacher I did not like. They are exceptional and are the ones that work with your children and do a wonderful job. And on another note, I have never seen parent participation so LOW in a school.

Posted August 6, 2008

I am very pleased at the education my son has been giving over the past 4 years he has been attending this school. I have not any better teachers than the ones at Harvest Elementary. The ones that I speek of are not there anymore, but when my son and I see them out they always speak to us wherever we might be.I also have not had the pleasure of my third grade sons teacher to come to his baseball game on his day off.That truly ment alot to us,and we will never forget that special moment. Again I say keep up the good work,and keep doing what you do best. Thank-you, Mr. Kennedy, and Mrs. Waring. You have really impacted our life.

Posted December 14, 2007

There is a very palpable, negative atmosphere at this school. The principal is condescending, and talks down to parents. Parents are not welcome in the classroom -- not because of the teachers, by the way. We've been there two years, and both of my child's teachers said we were welcome to drop in anytime. Unfortunately, you can't get past the front desk, so, in reality, you aren't welcome anytime. Believe me, if I could quit work, I would home school my child. And, we aren't novice parents -- this is our youngest child's school, we have kids in college, and we've lived all over the US as a military family. This is among the worst schools we've ever encountered.

Posted February 17, 2007

Harvest has a huge turnover in teachers and staff members. I know each one has there own reason/excuse for leaving. As a parent, this is very alarming to me as why new staff and teachers can not stay for more than 1-2 years in a row. Music/Art classes are held for only 30 min./week and are always the first thing to be cut/skipped in order to have school assemby, fundaisers ect. There are too many children in PE at one time. P.E. class seems to be more organized than in previous years. The overall feeling of the school is one of keeping up appearances and not higher education.

Posted February 9, 2007

I wish my curiousity hadn't led me to check this site again. It was discouraging to read the posts about the problems at Harvest with the Principal from two years ago and realize that the same problems still exist. Teachers work in fear of their jobs, reliable volunteers and competant staff are driven away by the constant harrassment. PTA has been the best in five years.

Posted November 8, 2005

I would like to say I am pleased with Harvest School! I have two children who attend. I work full time and haven't gotten to help out much. I want to Thank all the parents, grandparents and other family memebers who have taken the time to work with our kids! Thank you to those who go on the field trips with the classes to keep it fun and safe. We use the after school care program, and yes a few years ago the program wasn't the best and there were problems. This year seems to be alot better. Once again thanks to all the people who take the time to make it better. I am pleased with how the program is shaping up. Harvest is a great school with great teachers! Thank You for all that you have done! Keep up the Good Work!

Posted September 24, 2005

My children just started Harvest Elementary. The administration and faculty identified and addressed the special needs of my child within the first two weeks of school. This is a battle I fought with Madison Elementary for over a year to recognize the nature of my child's educational needs. No one teacher can be given credit as all teachers and the principal were interested and compassionate concerning his needs. Without any posturing from me, the principal called me within two days, introduced herself and asked if she could proceed with testing for my child. After turning me over to the special education coordinator, she then called back in a few days to see if everything was proceeding to my satisfaction. I am immensely grateful to the principal and faculty for taking action that Madison City failed/neglected to accomplish in years. I wish more administrators and faculty were of this caliber.

Posted February 16, 2005

I have been very pleased with Harvest school and the Principal. I have always loved the teachers that my children have had. I have volunteered at this school numerous times and have never felt unwanted. You probably are using this as a way to justify your'e guilt for not being at the school more. I think that all of these comments are being left by 4 or 5 of the same people who probably have problematic children. If the school is so bad and you are so unhappy, then maybe you should be a better parent and remove your child from public school all together.

Posted February 14, 2005

Harvest Elementary is a good school, however, it could be an excellent school if we had fair leadership. This site of reviews gives a clear example of what goes on at Harvest. Those who are in the 'in' crowd feel as though everything is wonderful. Those who are not welcomed at the school feel things could be better. I, too, have 2 children who attend Harvest. I have tried to volunteer, I have taken concerns to the principal, I have participated in PTA - however, for some reason I don't fit the bill to become accepted. I have heard the teacher talk about the meetings, expectations and more. All students and parents should be treated fair. This does not happen. Suggestion - treat every student fair. Treat teachers like professionals, not kids. Make Harvest a welcome place to all. Allow parents to participate always.

Posted February 12, 2005

The principal at Harvest is very professional and has high expectations for her staff. She has a vision to see her staff grow professionally and to improve the quality of instruction at this school.I have seen much growth at this school in the last year to promote positive changes. I have 2 children at this school and I have been very pleased with the quality of the education and the dedication of their teachers. This is a great school! I have been in administration and it is difficult managing people. Support your principal instead of slandering her and her efforts.

Posted February 10, 2005

It appears this website has become a forum for a 'handful' of cowardly people. When I heard of the postings, I thought I would find some constructive comments. Instead, there are only whinings from people obviously bent on maligning a tireless, hardworking, dedicated principal. I hope the other 98% of the parents and/or teachers will continue to work with the administration and staff to make our kids and this school successful!

Posted February 8, 2005

I use to think Harvest was a great school, but the atmosphere has changed drastically in the past couple years. The Principal is more concerned with forming committees than actually taking action. The teachers have to work harder, especially since parental involvement is at an all time low. Many teachers opt not to ask for help from the parents for fear of retribution from above. The Principal has literally 'run off' many willing and able volunteers. Parents do not feel welcome nor appreciated. The atmosphere is not conducive to learning. Many disciplinary problems haven't been dealt with effectly. Harvest has great potential. The community has a big heart, but they are tired of feeling that their grievances have been ignored. They are tired of feeling sorry for the teachers and helpless to do anything to remedy the stress they are under. Homeschooling may be a viable option at this point!

Posted February 7, 2005

I concur with the rest of the comments here. Assistant principal deserves the top slot. PTA is ineffective as it serves only to raise money for the principal to allocate - no discussion of the real issues that could make the school better. Know many parents who are home-schooling or have left because of the lack of decent leadership. With all the complaints, why is this principal still here? Refuse to post out of for concern of recrimination - that's how it works at Harvest.

Posted February 7, 2005

I think you all should be ashamed of yourselves for your comments. You all are just teachers and parents who can not have your way about something. If the school is all that bad what have you done to make it better? How are your lesson plans? When is the last time you introduced something new to your students. Have have you done to improve the quality of education in your classroom? How do you spend your planning periods? When was the last time you went to a PTA meeting? What do you do to support the PTA? I've been in and out of Harvest a lot as a volunteer. I think the teachers are a lot of the problem. You like motivation. Sometimes motivation has to come within not from outside soures. You should be ashamed of yourselves airing your dirty laundry. Get involved, and help your principal!

Posted February 1, 2005

Not a very comfortable learning environment for children, Harvest has the air of a high school. As a parent who is very involved, I get the feeling that the teachers are always watching their backs to see if the principal is coming around the corner. The atmosphere is a little too 'nervous' for my taste. We will re-locate next school year.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 87% in 2013.

Scale: % level 3 or 4

In 2012-2013 Alabama used the Alabama Reading and Mathematics Test (ARMT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math. The ARMT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 93% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2013.

All Students76%

Not migrant87%
Poverty84%
Not poverty89%
Scale: % level 3 or 4

The different student groups are identified by the Alabama Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students89%

Not migrant95%
Poverty92%
Not poverty97%

Science

The state average for Science was 82% in 2013.

Scale: % level 3 or level 4

In 2012-2013 Alabama used the Alabama Science Assessment (ASA) to test students in grades 5 and 7 in science. The ASA is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficiency level 3.

Science

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 47%N/A56%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

8845 Wall Triana Hwy