Harvest, AL
Students enrolled: 1,831

Posted February 09, 2015
I absolutely love this school. The school offers a plethora of academic programs and beneficial activities. The teachers, staff, and administration work very hard. Although each of my children have different talents, all of them excelled at Sparkman HS. Within the past 6 years, our kids enjoyed and benefitted from the school's Journalism Program, Marching Band, Symphonic Band, Cheerleading, JROTC, Engineering Program, Choir, Medical Academy, FBLA and sports. The current career counselor, Dr. Clanton, is exceptional. Mr. Campbell, the current principal is a very kind and compassion administrator. Like the majority of the teachers and staff, he really cares about the students. He's approachable, fair, and a supports programs that benefit the students and the school. The kids and parents appreciate his sincerity and drive.

Posted January 17, 2015
Sparkman High is a great school, with a capacity problem. The school has nationally recognized programs and offers engineering and Medical programs. I disagree with the comments that teachers don t care about the students. This school is like any other, where parental involvement is critical to a successful education. Two of my daughters graduated from Sparkman (2012, and 2013) and are doing extremely well in college (Nursing Major). They both attribute their readiness to the AP courses and medical academy that Sparkman offered.
2 people found this helpful

Posted October 01, 2014
Oh my where to start with SHS? First off if there were a zero or negative star option, that would of been my choice. The administration cares nothing about your child. Zero. Nothing. They care only about grant money from the state of Alabama. If your child struggles, they let them struggle. They truly want to push them to leave. Leave, so the grant money continues. This school is beyond at risk. I am so hopeful for a new high school in the area, I would build it myself. Elementary schools and middle schools in this area are superb. Hence we chose this district to live, SHS has changed my outlook on this. They need to make serious changes. While there are a few good teachers, those poor unfortunate souls are under the rules of the idiocy that is the administration. The assistant principal needs to find another career and if you have ever had the displeasure of meeting her you'd agree. So in closing, if you're new to the area, please reconsider moving into the SHS district. If I save one family from this horrendous school I will feel this review was worth my time. Because as it stands, that's the only reason I write, to save you from SHS. Please STAY AWAY.

Posted August 29, 2014
Sparkman is a great school! There are plenty of opportunities for students to excel academically and socially. The school has numerous clubs, nationally recognized organizations, academic programs and athletic groups. There are plenty of avenues to excel academically. However, it requires proactive planning, determination, perseverance, parental involvement, and personal accountability.

Posted March 28, 2014
Transferred to area. Like Engineering Acad. & AP teachers! Mr. Maddox & Ms. Simon = Grade A+. Blown away by Dr. Clanton, College Coach, A+. WELL-versed & specific in recommendations for college/scholarships. We all breathed a major sigh of relief. Haven't met/seen any of the administrators & don't know about parent involvement. This is why I'm giving a 4 instead of a 5.

Posted March 08, 2014
I literally laughed out loud after reading the good reviews on this school. Sparkman is full of drugs, violence and everything else a parent would not want their kid to be around. The administration is worried about where the next gang initiation will be as opposed to the academic excdllence of the student population. One would think that with a such a large number of students coming that the football team woud be good. This is not the case at all. Parents, only send your kid to Sparkman if you don't love them. -former student. I do not allow my kids to drive within a 2-mile radius of that "school".

Posted January 28, 2014
Most people writing reviews are administration, wanting to keep people at Sparkman by giving it 5 stars. I promise you every family I know that sends their child to Sparkman has no choice. It's overcrowded, filled with violence, and honestly they dumb down the material for everyone else that way the football players don't get cut from the team. If you think sports and popularity is what we should base reviews off of, be my guest. You aren't going to get the attention you need as a student for EDUCATION. One of the many reasons my mom pulled me out was, aside from the excessive violence, I wasn't getting the attention I deserved from teachers due to troublemakers. A lot was not done for these problem children. Save yourself time, money, and peace of mind...don't send your children to SHS. (If you though Sparkman Middle was bad, hold on tight.)

Posted October 27, 2013
This is an excellent school. This school encourages and monitor students' progress toward meeting grade-level standard. However, with any school, parental involvement is essential. Due to the population of the area, the school has seen an increase in enrollment. At this time, SHS is one of the largest schools in the state. While the school board seeks to rectify this issue, the school continues to grow. The school caters to a wide variety of educational needs. For instance, they have curriculum specifically catered to students interested in engineering, medicine, and business. They also offer curriculum geared towards students who are interested in learning a trade by partnering with a community college. The school has several extra-curricular activities that include music, band, football, basketball, volleyball, cheerleading, ROTC, debate clubs, drama clubs, business clubs and much more.

Posted August 17, 2013
Other than a few school sport pep rally cutbacks, my school is headed in the right direction. I would recommend this school over any other public school in North Alabama.

Posted August 07, 2013
While there is an issue of overcrowding, being a Sparkman Senator is a great opportunity for students who love to get involved in their school and community. I sing the highest praises for the Newspaper and Medical Academy programs, and Dr. Clanton is an invaluable resource when preparing for college. I truly believe the reason I so enjoy attending SHS is because of the benefits of being involved in programs and advanced classes; it truly makes the difference.
2 people found this helpful

Sparkman High School
2616 Jeff Rd, Harvest, AL  35749
Last modified Sparkman High School is a Public school that serves grades 10-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sparkman High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 62 reviews. Top