School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Great school that has the complete package! They have great teachers and administration! They have a great band program also!
April 06, 2016

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Handles bullying effectively: Disagree

Nope. Take it from a bullying victim. I wouldn't necessarily blame the school for this, however. I would blame those kids' parents (in part).

Supports LD students: Neutral

I didn't have any interaction with students with learning differences. I have to point out that maybe I should have- aren't they supposed to be educated as much as possible with students without learning differences?

Effective school leaders: Neutral

I didn't have a whole lot of interaction with the leadership. I can't say if that means it was effective or not.

Develops character: Disagree

I have to disagree here. I went to school with some mean students. I would use plenty of words to describe them that do NOT include integrity, compassion, and respect.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I had many great teachers. I don't know how many of them are still there but I am willing to bet at least some of them are. Great doesn't mean they pass you; often times my best teachers were the ones that challenged me.

Amount of homework: Agree

If anything I was not given enough homework (or it was too easy). Homework is repeating what we learned in class, and repetition is how I learned.

I went to this school over ten years ago and I'm sure a lot of things have changed; however, compared to many of the schools in the area, this school provided me with a quality education (despite my best efforts). I did not enjoy high school. I fought my parents and teachers every step of the way. I might have even disagreed with some of the things that I was being taught. I now realize that there simply isn't a school that will teach your kids exactly how you (parents) would like. There will always be something to disagree on whether it is class subject matter or discipline. Keeping that in mind, I would still say I went to a good school. I felt safe. I graduated and was (mostly) ready for college.

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted April 06, 2016

Met with the Spanish teacher, counselor, and the principal in reference to a lesson taught in Spanish class that was concerning to us. I won't get to in depth but we did not like how part of the lesson was one sided on immigration and how they should not be judgmental on people crossing the border and how they are just looking for a better life. To make a long story short we voiced our concerns that if a student is expected to make an informed opinion on a subject that both sides of the argument should be presented. That not all people who cross the border come to have a better life some come to avoid crimes that they committed in their country, some come to traffic drugs, and others come for reasons other than providing a better living for their families. Well the Principal Mr. Shaw was condescending and made light of our concerns and stated that we were the only parents that had problems with this, which my response was well maybe other parents don't pay attention to what their kids are taught. He also compared current immigration issue with the colonization of the America's by Europeans. The Spanish teacher denied injecting her personal opinion in the lesson even though she stated her goal was to change stereo types with what she felt was correct. She also stated that she took her information form a documentary that we requested she provide 3 weeks before the meeting but she was reluctant to provide until the meeting. Titled "The other side of immigration" directed by Roy Germano. This documentary is basically the typical poor immigrant wants a better life and America should capitulate. So called educators always complain parents don't get involved and that's why students don't do well. This is an example of how educators at Sparkman High School don't care to hear from the parents unless you agree with their way of thinking. I am thinking of moving my daughter out of Sparkman High School because the principal does not care to hear what parents concerns are.

Good experience with Sparkman. My daughter is receiving a quality education. She has found friends with good values. She has had teachers who care about her actually learning subjects. There are great parents who truly care about the welfare of the school. Fabulous band and cheer team. Plenty of clubs and extra curricular activities for those interested in being involved.

Last modified Sparkman High School is a Public school that serves grades 10-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.