Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

I love this school because they care bout the students and show discipline!! Also I like how the teachers show the students that struggle they care!

Would never send my kids here again. I let my child go here after pulling them out of the middle school but its even worse.

Hazel Green High has a wonderful community; however, the principal lacks leadership attributes commensurate with the quality of the community. Most teachers are sincere and moral, doing their best. Math and science are inadequately taught subject areas that should be supplemented by concerned parents.

This is one of the most poorly run schools in the area. Though some good teachers exist, teaching and learning is low and the administration are unsupportive and, at times, incompetent. Do not send your child to this school if you want him or her to receive a quality education and be prepared for college.

Well we transferred our son in last year as a Freshman and had no difficulty in doing so and it was from a private school. Our first year and our son's with Hazel Green was excellent. The current Principal, has improved things greatly over the past couple years and is a large reason we allowed the transfer. Things have changed for the better since the 2008 - 2011 reviews. Teachers have been great and the classes (many pre-AP) offered plenty of challenge. Don't worry too much about me not giving 5 stars, you've got to walk on water for me to give the top ratings in anything, 4 star rating from me is still excellent.

I love HGHS. My daughter is a senior and we have had No bad problems.

I went to this school for less than a year but I enjoyed every second of being there. It is a great school. Teachers are helpful, Students are accepting. Top Notch.

This year I have to agree with the reviewer who said: "Recommend investigating other schools first, transferring students...." There have been changes made that are not necessarily improvements. They have switched to four periods per day and have imposed new classes on students that they did not sign up for. There is little leeway by counselors when students request a change in schedule. This attitude seems to be dominant throughout the school by admin, in general. The admin at the school decided all 9th grade students would take "career development" where they spend almost two hours a day watching films on careers like cattle recycling (i.e., making paste, etc., out of bones - no, I am not kidding). Not very challenging for the students. The kids feel like they are being treated like kindergartners (although one child corrected that to "in-mate") when they must wear their "red team" or "white team" T-shirts on Fridays. They still have very good extra-curricular events, and there definitely are many fine teachers at the school since my oldest graduated. But these and other changes have sent many parents shuffling to find other options for HS education in this area.

I think this is one of the worst school principals in the whole county bad bad bad the only bright side is the good teachers

Academics are about average for a Madison County/Huntsville area school. A bit above Alabama averages, but a bit below national averages. School administration is extremely difficult to engage. School is more aggresively unwilling to allow parent participation in their children's educational process than any I have seen. Unable to get school to work with us on anything so far (schedule, schedule changes, etc.) Teachers seem adequate, but no current/updated dailly home work line like most schools. Recommend investigating other schools first, transferring students, like most things, is deliberately made difficult (school/BOE).

Last modified Hazel Green High School is a Public school that serves grades 8-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.