Homewood, AL

Hall Kent Elementary School 3

Posted October 21, 2014
My son went to this school from kindergarten to 5th grade. The teachers there are hit-or-miss when it comes to quality. He had three outstanding teachers (K, 2nd, and 4th grades) and three awful teachers (1st, 3rd, and 5th grades). The school itself had a good deal of turmoil from the principle swaps (the original principle was injured in an accident and never returned), which made it difficult to get any real issues handled, and even before, it was not easy. We lived in an apartment and got a lot of grief for it - the front office was usually condescending and unhelpful to apartment-dwellers but not for the house-dwellers. The office staff were required to spend what seemed like a lot of time worrying over proving whether or not individuals lived in the apartment complexes, to the point of holding frightened children in the office like they were criminals until the parents could show proper paperwork. My son was miserable at this school (bullying of middle- to lower-class, and/or "different" children is a real issue there), and I could not see him continue in Homewood schools. He is now in a private school in Birmingham and is thriving and loving school like he never has before.

Posted August 08, 2013
I went to school here when I was younger and had such a great experience. After graduating in the top 5% of Auburn University I wanted to come back to the place that made me love learning. I now teach here. It is an outstanding school.

Posted August 08, 2012
I have two sons at Hall Kent and can say without hesitation that it is a treasure. Going into our fifth year at the school, my children have had contact with most of the staff; I can report that across the board, the quality of teaching is top-notch. The culture of the school celebrates every child's uniqueness and bullying is not tolerated. Don't be discouraged by the great school's rating on this site. Out of the three Homewood elementary schools, Hall Kent houses the special needs preschool and successfully mainstreams many children with developmental delays. They have a full staff of speech and language, as well as reading specialists. While this may bring the overall testing score down, it makes for a beautifully diverse and accepting atmosphere. The gifted teacher is second to none; many parents who consider moving elsewhere in the district do not so as to keep their child with our amazing enrichment teacher. Physical fitness is encouraged and the cafeteria serves a progressive menu (whole wheat breads, brown rice, etc). Hall Kent is truly a little-known gem in Homewood.

Posted May 11, 2012
This school is great! There is great parental involvement for every grade level. The students are well-rounded. The teachers have an open door policy. You can contact them any time via email and they respond very promptly. They send parents emails when there is a concern about a child, they send notes home to parents on a regular basis of each child's strength and weakness. The principal has set everything in place for the school to run like a well-oiled machine even in her absence. The assistant principal and staff operate effectively and efficiently from car pool to before & after school activities to preparing for tests. There is no area lacking; the utmost attention and care has been taken to ensure that our children get the best education!

Posted August 01, 2011
Hall Kent is the best school! I have two daughters one in first grade and another in the pre-school program. The teachers are excellant. They work non-stop year round. My daughters kindergarten teacher would email me weekly updates, even called during the summer to offer some extra summer homework..lol...You truly will not find a better elementary school in the state of Alabama. Homewood Schools are the BEST! Hall Kent is worth every tax dollar we spend and more.

Hall Kent Elementary School 0

Posted April 21, 2010
Extremely involved PTO and very high teaching and behavioral standards put Hall-Kent at the top.

Posted January 08, 2007
Hall-Kent is the BEST. My daughter is in the special needs program, she has made so much progress. She attends music and art, parent/teacher communication is excellent. I wouldn't have my child any place else! Ms. Parker

Posted November 04, 2004
I believe Hall Kent is the best secret in Homewood! What a great school. It's a great small town school with great teachers and a principal who really cares. My two boys go to H-K and we couldn't be happier. They have a Fall Festival which is the only fundraiser, and it's fun! In my opinion, you can't find a better school in Birmingham. - Amy Summers

Hall Kent Elementary School
213 Hall Ave, Homewood, AL  35209
Last modified Hall Kent Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hall Kent Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 8 reviews. Top