Hoover, AL
Students enrolled: 1,650
After care: No

Posted September 24, 2014
Excellent teachers, administrators, and students. An all around great community effort establishing a school with a culture of positive learning and success. Love the opportunities not just in athletics but a wide range of academic courses to choose from and a love of the arts as well!

Spain Park High School 3

Posted September 15, 2014
At this time, I'm frustrated with Hoover schools overall, not just Spain Park. The emphasis is on the appearance of looking good and acting good while failing in many areas of being good. It is great having the majority of the teachers to have master's degrees but that knowledge is to no avail if you can't help the "least of these" to learn. Diversity and inclusion is more than just race, it is economic status as well. When PTO meetings are in the morning and most programs are costly you leave out the working poor. Also, when your administration is 95% or higher white, the minority doesn't feel represented or that there is some one approachable to talk to or relate to. If the majority of your under achievers by your standard are minority, why not try adding teachers that approach learning from a different perspective. As the saying goes, " no one cares how much you know until they know how much you care." There a lot of qualified teachers who are great teachers that are Black, Hispanic, and Asian. Be intentional, find them. Scores will go up. And working parents have good ideas too, let us be on committees as well, don't leave is out because we work, we care too.

Spain Park High School 2

Posted October 28, 2013
It is funny that as I read the previous comments from previous students, parents and even teachers, nothing has changed. The administration is the worst I have seen in any school my child has been involved in. They do not show any interest in the student's opinion. It is run as a military style campus. The principle and his assistants run the school with an iron fist and you better not cross them or there is heck to pay. I know first hand of the retaliation that can happen if you go above their heads when you do not agree with their methods. The principle is not approachable at all. I have been to schools much larger than this in my job and the principles are hands on and approachable. This is definitely not the case! This is all sad because I actually made it a point to move to the area because of their academic standings. I did not know that wanting the best for my child would actually entail. I definitely should have looked at Hoover High School or Oak Mountain High School a little harder!!! I want my child to succeed not fail!!!!

Spain Park High School 1

Posted July 24, 2013
The school district has lost it's focus and direction. All they worry is about their image and not teaching ALL students. Very sad.

Posted July 12, 2013
I graduated from Spain Park high school and i have to say besides the recent comments listed below i really enjoyed my school. This is probably because i was really passionate about my sports. I was also in Pre- AP and AP classes throughout school so i got what i needed out of the school. As far as scholarships goes i got opportunities ti meet with many coaches that at many other schools i would not not even be able to dream of talking to, but besides the athletic component Spain park also set me up for many academic scholarships. However do not think i made all A's throughout school i didn't Spain-Park is hard but other colleges notice that so don't be discouraged, but in conclusion the school set me up perfectly for college freshmen year ( major engineering) was smooth sailing due to the curriculum SPHS had.

Spain Park High School 1

Posted August 15, 2012
The school has really gone downhill in the past four years; the administration could not care less about the students, and they run it like a prison. They don't care about students' opinions and input. For example, the cafeteria food is awful, but the students are not allowed to leave campus for lunch. They probably can't afford good food because they're buying iPads for the students. Just like at any school, there are some great and helpful teachers and many that are unhelpful and care only about getting work graded. The theater and arts programs are good, but some departments, such as science and English aren't very strong. As for the students, many are shallow and judgmental, so being different is hard. Bullying is an issue that the faculty and staff fail to address, especially when you don't fit in.

Spain Park High School 2

Posted May 01, 2012
I am a student at Spain Park. This is my fourth and final year and I can confidently say that the school has been in decline in the last four years. All they care about is beating our crosstown rivals, Hoover. This is a feat we almost never accomplish, academically and athletically. Having spoken to several of my Hoover friends, it is clear that their course offerings and general mood in school is much better than ours. The school almost has a military state feel to it. We are not even allowed to bring our phones to school! The teachers don't spend extra time helping you and you will be completly ignored if you don't fit in with the preppy crowd. Bullying is a constant problem here, especially with girls. Having seen both Hoover City Schools, I strongly urge you to send your kids to Hoover and not run into the same problems I have faced.

Spain Park High School 3

Posted April 17, 2012
I would just like to say that Spain Park, with the exception of a few awesome teachers, does not like originality. If you don't fit the mold or if you are an original, they will attempt to squash you like a bug. Also, despite the fact that Spain Park teachers (most, not all) act and say that they care and want you to succeed, they do not care as long as they get their grades in. If you fail, it is not their problem. It appears good on the surface, but be careful. Bullying is a huge problem, especially for the girls. They get picked on all the time by other girls. To everyone who is different: there are other people that are different, you just have to know where to look. However, Spain Park has excellent theater, band, and art programs.

Posted April 10, 2012
Excellent school. Both of my sons graduated from Spain Park and continued on to college without any problems. Spain Park prepared them well with rigorous academics and top quality athletic programs.

Posted December 12, 2010
Ask anyone in the area about SPHS and they will tell you it is incredible. People, Administration, Students, Teachers, its all great. I love it.

Spain Park High School
4700 Jaguar Dr, Hoover, AL  35242
Last modified Spain Park High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Spain Park High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 52 reviews. Top