Hueytown High School 2

Posted August 04, 2014
As a graduate of Hueytown High School, I would not recommend for anyone to send their children to this school. It makes me feel disgusted when I think of all of the excellent teachers I had throughout high school that were fired or pressured to leave by the administration. The administration is known to harass and target only certain students when it comes to discipline to "make an example of them" for the rest of the school. The administration is notorious for cracking down on athletes and students who are more involved and letting delinquent kids with a record of disciplinary infractions get away with more and receiving a lighter punishment. The school is far more concerned with discipline as opposed to academics and I believe that is why academics are failing on a grander scale. For a student to receive the best possible education and most preparation for college, or the real world in general, honors and AP classes are a MUST. Without these, a student from Hueytown would not be fully prepared for college. All in all, HHS is a huge disappointment. It is sad to see the school's decline in the past 10-15 years. I see no improvement for the school in sight.

Posted November 07, 2013
I am so impressed with the turn around of Hueytown High School this year. The administration, teachers, students, parents and community members have created a great environment for our children.

Posted November 04, 2013
The administrators, teachers, and councilors have given my daughter new insight to studying and pursuing a college for a career. They are very helpful and nice and encouraging to her. The goal of the school is to be safe, study and have fun at doing this. They are very nice and have helped her through many trials. Thank you Hueytown. Safety first.

Hueytown High School 2

Posted May 24, 2011
My daughter graduated from Hueytown in 2009 and at the time we we mostly happy with her education there. She was always an A-B student and active in many extra-curricular activities. She took what AP courses she could but was disappointed in the offerings and that the administration really did not seem to support addition of more. We generally felt that the teachers were good but the administration was abysmal at best. However we always felt that she was getting a good, solid education. She will soon be a Junior at Alabama where, through extra hard work she is still an A-B student. Now, looking back we see that our judgment of the school was clouded by our lack of comparison. We now know that Hueytown did not adequately prepare her to for college at the same level of other schools, even those in the Jefferson County System. I have withdrawn my son (another A-B student), moved and he is now a Junior at Vestavia trying to catch up from two years of sub-standard education at Hueytown. Maybe is will improve with the new building, but with the prevailing administration I have my doubts. My niece graduated from Oak Grove last year and seems far better prepared.

Hueytown High School 1

Posted December 14, 2010
This is my first time experiencing this high school and I am not satisfied at all. My husband and I was thinking moving to Hueytown that our children will have a better education but to our surprise, the high school system is very poor. They are not fair at all when it comes to certain students of color. It is awfully funny that only the black students fail at AHSGE when the majority of the school is white (how odd). Our child and children will be attending a different high school I do not care how far we have to drive to get them there.

Posted December 08, 2010
I attended Hueytown in the sixties and seventies. The community embraces this school and the students seem to know and appreciate it. Joe Pilkinton, the student resource officer has helped many a stray spirit find their way.

Posted January 05, 2009

Posted October 08, 2005
Excellent public school,superior staff to other local public schools (i.e.,pleasant grove,minor,oak grove,midfield)many nationally certified teachers!the history department has one of the best staffs of any high school in the southeastern united states,great math dept.,good english dept.,outstanding sports programs with dedicated coaches...no football staff puts in as many hours as these guys in season,they often work on average just over 80 hrs. a week!good leadership in the administrative area as well,the best counselors in the state!think twice before sending to a private school,as they are often highly over-rated...and priced and their athletic programs are not in the same league..see for yourself!the best school in west jeff. cty.,bar none...not minor,not pleasant grove...HUEYTOWN IS THE ONE.

Posted April 17, 2005
I attended Hueytown High School my husband did also and our 2 oldest children graduated from Hueytown. Our youngest will start in the fall and we think it is a GREAT school. All schools have problems and Hueytown has no more than anywhere else. I couldnt think of sending my children anywhere else.

Hueytown High School 3

Posted February 23, 2005
We are suppose to get a new school which is much needed. Across town always gets the good schools. The teachers are pretty good. The principal is a nice man I am not sure the kids respect him. They need to enforce the dress code.

Hueytown High School
131 Dabbs Ave, Hueytown, AL  35023
Last modified Hueytown High School is a Public school that serves grades 8-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hueytown High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top