Bad
Good

As a graduate of Hueytown High School, I would not recommend for anyone to send their children to this school. It makes me feel disgusted when I think of all of the excellent teachers I had throughout high school that were fired or pressured to leave by the administration. The administration is known to harass and target only certain students when it comes to discipline to "make an example of them" for the rest of the school. The administration is notorious for cracking down on athletes and students who are more involved and letting delinquent kids with a record of disciplinary infractions get away with more and receiving a lighter punishment. The school is far more concerned with discipline as opposed to academics and I believe that is why academics are failing on a grander scale. For a student to receive the best possible education and most preparation for college, or the real world in general, honors and AP classes are a MUST. Without these, a student from Hueytown would not be fully prepared for college. All in all, HHS is a huge disappointment. It is sad to see the school's decline in the past 10-15 years. I see no improvement for the school in sight.

I am so impressed with the turn around of Hueytown High School this year. The administration, teachers, students, parents and community members have created a great environment for our children.

The administrators, teachers, and councilors have given my daughter new insight to studying and pursuing a college for a career. They are very helpful and nice and encouraging to her. The goal of the school is to be safe, study and have fun at doing this. They are very nice and have helped her through many trials. Thank you Hueytown. Safety first.

My daughter graduated from Hueytown in 2009 and at the time we we mostly happy with her education there. She was always an A-B student and active in many extra-curricular activities. She took what AP courses she could but was disappointed in the offerings and that the administration really did not seem to support addition of more. We generally felt that the teachers were good but the administration was abysmal at best. However we always felt that she was getting a good, solid education. She will soon be a Junior at Alabama where, through extra hard work she is still an A-B student. Now, looking back we see that our judgment of the school was clouded by our lack of comparison. We now know that Hueytown did not adequately prepare her to for college at the same level of other schools, even those in the Jefferson County System. I have withdrawn my son (another A-B student), moved and he is now a Junior at Vestavia trying to catch up from two years of sub-standard education at Hueytown. Maybe is will improve with the new building, but with the prevailing administration I have my doubts. My niece graduated from Oak Grove last year and seems far better prepared.

This is my first time experiencing this high school and I am not satisfied at all. My husband and I was thinking moving to Hueytown that our children will have a better education but to our surprise, the high school system is very poor. They are not fair at all when it comes to certain students of color. It is awfully funny that only the black students fail at AHSGE when the majority of the school is white (how odd). Our child and children will be attending a different high school I do not care how far we have to drive to get them there.

I attended Hueytown in the sixties and seventies. The community embraces this school and the students seem to know and appreciate it. Joe Pilkinton, the student resource officer has helped many a stray spirit find their way.

Last modified Hueytown High School is a Public school that serves grades 8-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.