No rating

The Country Day School

Private | PK-8 | 185 students

Living in Huntsville

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $190,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $750.

Posted April 7, 2014

No Books, No Lunch, No Transportation, No Uniforms. What does $7000 go for? This school is a HUGE disappointment!

Posted August 29, 2013

Our five year old grandson is going to CDS and absolutely loves it! He was even disappointed when we didn't enroll him for the summer school program last year. He went there for two years of preschool and is in kindergarten now. The teachers are wonderful and seem to really care about the children. This is a great environment with small class sizes where each child's learning styles are accommodated as well as possible. The students are even able to go out on nature walks to the creek and short hikes as weather permits which our grandson loves. So recreation time isn't just playing on a playground, but they can do that too if they wish. Sherri Naff is the director and is really a treasure. Our son went to CDS for awhile twenty some years ago and he loved it too. We were unable to continue with private school back then- and wish we had been able to. But now we're able to help make that possible for our grandson to attend.

Posted May 21, 2013

The school year is coming to an end and I hate to see my child leave this wonderful school. He has been here several years and he had grown and learned so much on an academic and emotional level. The teaching methods have allowed him to become secure in himself and in dealing with a diverse group of people. Recently, he took a test to get into a private high school and did very well proving he obtained a quality education and that our money was well spent. The school provides a physical and emotionally safe environment that I don't believe is available at other schools.. The school also allows for parent involvement that assists the child development. The teachers are so great I wish my child could stay at CDS for another year.

Posted March 8, 2013

The CDS preschool is fabulous and absolutely worth the money. In addition to the normal "circle time" work students get at any school, there's a montessori feel: children get free time to play with the many educational toys around the room. Some teachers go from child to child, helping make whichever toy the child chooses educational (like working on sorting, fine motor skills, reading books, etc.) while another teacher pulls the kids out one at a time to work on academics. This tailors to the child - kids just learning letters get letter work, but the teachers are also willing to do phonics, addition, telling time, etc. I'm not looking forward to sending my daughter to a public kindergarten, because I know she won't get the individual attention there that she does at Country Day.

Posted March 7, 2012

This is an amazing small private school that offers a personalized approach to education. They use project based learning and technology to be sure their students are well prepared for the 21st century. Arts are valued as are global languages and cultures. This is a caring environment with traditional values. I highly recommend this school for preschool to 8 th grade

Posted January 7, 2012

Country day has been a really blessing for my children. Excellent academics in a warm caring environment. I highly rec this school

Posted April 2, 2011

An excellent school in Huntsville especially if you are looking for a secular school. The teachers are very caring of the children and set high expectations. We have been very impressed. Our son attends the Transional kindergarten class.

Posted March 26, 2011

I love The Country Day School. My children are are so happy there and love learning because of the positive environment. If any issues arise the teachers are quick to address it and work with the parents to resolve any issues with the children. Not only have they and the staff helped them become eager learners, they have also helped them develop personally in a positive way. One of my children had been enrolled in another school and was so unhappy, depressed and not doing well accademically. We transferred him to The Country Day school and he is so happy and thriving - all he wants is straight A's and to do the right thing. Our whole household is so much happier with the positive change. All the staff is simply wonderful!

Posted March 22, 2011

CDS has amazing academics but I think the teachers are too involved with the children's personal lives; especially in the upper elementary. Some teachers probably should've minded their own business about certain things, but sometimes teachers wouldn't even listen when a student had to tell/explain something. But academically this school is by far the best.

Posted March 21, 2011

The Country Day School is a great educational environment for my children. I have been very pleased with all of the dedicated teachers at the school. The facilities and grounds are outstanding. I would highly recommend this school, and believe it is the best in Huntsville.

Posted March 21, 2011

My only regret regarding Country Day School is that my children were not there from the very beginning. It is a unique experience that produces students who excel not only academically but in all aspects of their lives. Rather than standardized drills and teaching to the test students are inspired to learn and challenged to achieve individual excellence. Testing is used as an evaluative tool so that teacher and student can partner together to develop skills. The curriculum flows naturally and students' curiosity and achievements are celebrated. I have had the opportunity to watch several years of CDS graduates as they progress through high school and college and I am always impressed how successfully they integrate to more standardized enviornments and continue at the highest levels of accomplishment. It is an "outside the box" learning experience and one that other schools and concerned parents should pay attention to.

Posted March 21, 2011

I don't get what the person in the previous comment said, name calling?? That's rediculous! I have two children currently attending The Country Day School (one in preschool and one in the Primary) and they absolutely love their teachers. They care about all the students. I would highly recommend this school to anyone who would like an outstanding education for their children.

Posted March 21, 2011

We have been at CDS for two years and have been extremely happy. My daughter was attended the combo Pre-K/K/1st grade class. The teacher ratio was great (there were two teachers in the room). My daughter excelled in this class. Currently, my child is in the combo 1st and 2nd grade class. Her teacher has spent a lot of timing developing a curriculum for her. My daughter has accelerated in this environment. My daughter takes individual piano lessons, attends music class, visits the library, plays outside every day (weather permitting), takes art class, and has lessons in Spanish and Chinese. There are multiple field trips and cultural events during the year. The school building is beautiful and fosters an environment of learning. The schools is small and the extracurricular activities are focused on the skills and interests of the teachers and volunteer parents. The clubs include Art, Dance, Lego Builders, and Science. I agree that the school is a family run organization and there is no governing board. I have not had any issues and cannot comment about how issues are resolved.

Posted March 21, 2011

I am very happy with the Country Day School. Both my children attend, one in 2nd grade and one in 6th grade. The academics are excellent and the teachers are high quality and very dedicated. The school administration staff are friendly, concerned and knowledgeable. The school leadership is also excellent with the head teacher being very interested in current theories of education. The children remain with the same teacher for several years, with specialist teachers assisting with some subjects. The children are able to work at individualized levels which has helped one of my children who finds math challenging but is very advanced in reading and writing skills. One notable aspect of the school is the parental involvement, which is great because of the diversity of ethnicities that attend the school. there are always interested and knowledgeable volunteers at school events.

Posted March 21, 2011

The Country Day School fills a belief in the Huntsville/Madison/Madison County area that is addressed by no other school. That is the belief that children will learn if given the time and opportunity to ask, touch, taste and smell what they are curious about. Certainly there are times that a 'standard format' must be followed but what a joy it is to see children truly engaged in THEIR education and not just filling a seat. As a parent and grandparent of CDS students, I am proud to say that my family has a long tradition of being a CDS kid!

Posted March 21, 2011

CDS offers more than just a school to my son; it is a second home. He actually likes school again and looks up to his teachers. He is comfortable talking to his teachers about problems with school or social challenges and this is definitely a NEW thing for him. Thank you Country Day!

Posted February 20, 2011

At first, it seemed like a great school with a wonderful curriculum. Unfortunately, I am horribly disappointed with the lack of self control some teacher's exhibit towards the kids. Name calling, shaming and belittling are never acceptable.

Posted May 26, 2010

Both of my daughters have attended CDS since preschool and now my oldest is enrolling in 4th grade. This school is fantastic. The teachers and director are inspiring leaders for the children. They mix fun, confidence building, and exploration with learning. Every day I am amazed at both what my children are learning, and how CDS is motivating them to succeed. You cannot beat the individual attention students get and the positive environment at the school. Thanks CDS for giving my children such a great foundation for learning!

Posted October 27, 2009

Our family has loved this excellent small school for many years-greta teachers, excellent academics in a warm and caring environment! Would highly rec.

Posted February 6, 2009

This school has been fantastic for my children. My youngest has been going there since preschool and has been so happy and is learning so much in a wide range of subjects. He is so open to new ideas and excited about learning. Our older son attended public school for a while and he had such a negative experience there that he did not like school and was depressed. We changed him over to Country Day and he is like a new child in many ways. He has never been happier and is now excited about learning. We plan to keep both our children at Country Day all the way through the 8th grade.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 11% 1%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:15
School end time
  • 2:30
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
Associations
  • NAEYC
Fax number
  • (256) 722-3000

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori