PK-6|Private

Bad
Good

My boy has been at MSH since he was 3 years old and is now almost 5. He started in the toddler classroom and is now in Primary. He is very advanced and was reading before he arrived at MSH. We talked to the teachers because we were concerned that he would be bored. They assured us that they wouldn't allow that to happen. If he masters the tasks for his age group they'll be happy to get him more challenging materials from the older classrooms. The thing I like most is that HE is allowed to choose what he does. If he wants to color or stack blocks with the other kids his age, he can. If he wants to sit in the library nook and read on his own or use materials for the Kindergarten class, he can. Never is he prevented from doing the "fun" stuff because he's able to do harder tasks. He was even allowed to float between the reading group (older kids) and the letters group (kids his age) despite being the most advanced reader in the class. No one told him that since he can read he doesn't have a choice. He's encouraged, but never pressured. Since he very much likes to operate on his own timeline, he's thrived. I can't say enough good things about this school. We plan to keep him there until he ages out in 6th grade. And I'm on the committee to start a middle school program there. We also based where we bought a house in relation to our commute to this school. If that doesn't tell you how much we love it, there's nothing more I can say.

After stumbling across the Montessori Method prior to moving to Huntsville, AL I knew that it was the best option for early childhood education. After touring the Montessori School of Huntsville I knew it was the only place for my 2 and 4 year old sons. The nurturing environment and the depth of knowledge of the teachers made it the only choice for our family. Now that they are 5 and 7 it continues to be an amazing learning environment for them. It provides rigorous instruction while encouraging their creativity and independence. Great school that I would recommend to anyone who wants their children to be prepared for the "real world."

We started at MSH two years ago and are well into our third school year. Every year, my son has grown by leaps and bounds. Due to the three year cycle espoused by Montessori, he had the same teachers his first two years and has moved into a new class this year with a range of ages. The transition went beautifully and he loves his new teachers and friends. He likes how the big boys and girls help him complete tasks and learning to do things on his own! The administration and staff of the school love and respect the children and it shows in the quality of the education. We are also very appreciative of the diversity provided by the other students and staff. As parents, we have found a home here as well with the tight-knit community and they myriad of opportunities available to all family members to get involved and help out at the school.

We enrolled my daughter in the toddler program when she was two. She is now approaching her fourth birthday and she is in the pre-primary program. It's tough (at least for me) to fully describe our experience. I can tell you it's great/wonderful/fabulous and I do feel that way, but I feel like you don't really "get it" until you see it. I didn't fully understand until I actually saw the classrooms and watched the kids in their environment. I encourage you to schedule a tour and spend 20 minutes or so observing a classroom. It is truly amazing! The school coordinates "Sharing Night," which allows parents to visit the classroom so their children can show them what they do at school. My little girl is always SO proud to show me what she does at school, and I am continuously astounded by the things she is able to do. I'm also incredibly grateful that she is experiencing so many different and interesting things every day.

Love this school. Very dedicated to following Maria Montessori's vision for developing the whole child.

A wonderful experience for everyone - our daughter has prospered there beyond all expectations we had. The teaching staff is well-trained and does not change over regularly. They are also compassionate, communicate very well and handle the children with care and structure. The experiences that are provided for the kids are amazing....gardening, cooking, even cleaning lessons are all on the agenda, in addition to a wealth of Montessori learning materials that the keep the kids engaged on a daily basis. Great mix of backgrounds and cultures. Beautiful campus - they are building the first outdoor classroom in the city. The only downside of the school is its location, being quite a drive from downtown Huntsville or Madison.....but in the end, we thought a few more minutes in the car was worth the care and mental/social/emotional nourishment our child gets at this school. We will be sending our second there, too, starting as a toddler. I can highly recommend it to anyone.

Public school teachers actually told our son to stop asking questions. I asked what he was learning in public school and he told me "The Rules." Maria Montessori would be thrilled to see the exceptional learning environment at the Montessori School of Huntsville. I've seen my son's self esteem and curiosity sky rocket thanks to outstanding teachers and staff. We could not be happier. The Montessori School of Huntsville is a community of involved parents and students who are excited to come to school every day. If you have any questions on the Montessori teaching method, you may want to read the Wall Street Article titled "Montessori Mafia." The most creative minds of today have had a Montessori background. Montessori fosters a lifelong love of learning and an ability to think and solve problems rather than just memorize answers for a test. Montessori is not only for preschool aged children. The school currently goes through the 6th grade and they are considering expanding into Junior High School. I will most definitely have my children at this school as long as possible.

A very well run Montessori School. The school is accredited and has a highly educated and caring staff. The two campuses are very different but both have their benefits. One is a more modern school (on Chaney Thompson) and the other is a more home like environment (Blevins Gap). The school starts at the preschool age but children have the opportunity to attend through Elementary. Most if not all of the children are reading very well while in Kindergarten!! The Elementary students appear to be learning very advance concepts at a young age. The Montessori method and the private school environment definitely has advantages. The tuition is high but not as high as many other private schools in the area. It is worth it to keep the good teachers on staff and low teacher/student ratio in my opinion.

The teachers and administration truly care of the students at this school. There interest is in learning and in inspiring the want to learn in the students. Students are taught using Montessori methods which encourage independence, love of learning, and kindness. As in any school there have been some push and pull between administration, teachers, and parents but all in all this school far out performs the public school system and other private school in the area. Montessori learning is not for every child but for those that learn well using hands on material and who can work at their own pace it is an excellent option.

Had two children go through and one currently enrolled. Saw more development with the two older children than what I see now. Thinking of transferring to another school for my youngest. The Board and Admin people seem blind to the current problems, unless you've seen how the two administrations compared. I do have to say the facilities are top notch, and the parent volunteers are the best you'll find anywhere.

Last modified Montessori School of Huntsville is a Private school that serves grades PK-6