Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Columbia High School 2

Posted October 27, 2015
This school wants to be successful so badly but it just can't seem to get it right. I've been there all four years watching as administrators come and go. And this is only one of the actions in trying to make that high school more competitive like Grissom, Huntsville High and New Century. However, I have seen no improvement in behavior, grades and education benefits as they change administrators. I seem to always be asking myself "Is Huntsville City Schools really putting all they've got into us." The answer is always no. Yes, I'm jealous of the other schools. Better grades, better scores, better experience, focused administrators. Don't get me wrong some of the administrators I've met the past couple of years were great! But where are the results to prove so? Huntsville City Schools put us in a random place. "Let's buy this cotton field and build a school for the kids on the arsenal." Yet there are kids coming from Harvest to study here! And the racial percentages... Don't even get me started. HCS needs to get it right. It's ridiculous. The racial diversity is non-existent. And intimidating! To top it off they put some of the Butler kids in there due to the building of the new school for Butler, Johnson and other schools. That school doesn't need more children. The school isn't that big. The IB program... I guess I could say it's good because it's great for colleges, building a resume, and scholarships. I recommend it for any student looking to be above average. Like everything else at this school, it could use some improvement. All they seem to be worried about is if they are going to win the next football game or basketball game. There is also lack of enthusiasm, moral support, spirit! Gosh. I feel bad for anyone that ever played sports there. I know I felt bad when I played a sport. No one shows up. I feel embarrassed. Not only is the district not supportive but the parents, students, and staff are awful at being somewhat supportive or enthusiastic about anything. Jeez. Not saying my experience at this school is/was awful. But there are certainly more days than others where I just don't want to be in that environment.

Columbia High School
Grateful to: School leader

Posted October 26, 2015
I feel the need to say thank you to Mr.Hicks. He was a part of us that will never be replaced. He showed us true motivation and respect. Also, Ms. Mays, she wasn't there for long as a Freshman Academy Principal, but I think she was a key part of my freshman class being somewhat hopeful for the next few years of high school. She also set high expectations for us and her outgoing personality brought happiness to some of us during those old days. Lots of teachers did not like her however I think they only envied her extrovert ways of being. There are lots of teachers who need to be thanked as well, however they will be thanked by me personally.

Columbia High School 4

Posted November 05, 2014
Columbia is a great school that gives students the tools for the future. Attendance is optional as we drive by another high school everyday. With the core subjects as honors, the IB Program as an option and the JROTC program along with sports, good kids can be well prepared for the next step. The negatives are there is minimal parent involvement and the drive to the school.

Posted November 01, 2014
As a teacher at Columbia High School who has been involved in teaching classes through the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program and Diploma Program, I have been very impressed with the results we have had so far. Students in the DP program have been accepted to schools like Vanderbilt, MIT, Georgia Tech, Berkeley, Georgetown, Alabama, and Auburn and many receive full scholarships to the schools they attend. Last year 100% of our DP students received scholarships to their respective schools. The curriculum of the IB program encourages critical thinking and problem solving rather than rote learning and prepares students for success in college and beyond. Most of our former DP students say that college is easy because of what they learned in IB. I am very excited about what the IB program is doing at Columbia High School.

Columbia High School 1

Posted June 28, 2014
It's an okay school that has limited resources and planning abilities. It would be great if the school books returned and the laptops were used as a resource tool in the classroom. Being totally dependent on electronics is a recipe for disaster when technology is unavailable. Please improve with communication and planning of activities / events at the school.

Posted June 20, 2014
Columbia High School's IB Program is consistently turning out quality college graduates. If you want your child to not only get accepted into college, but to be prepared to more than pass courses, then this school is for your family. I know first hand because three of my four children have graduated or will graduate from this program. One achieved her IB Diploma. Quality leadership is demonstrated at the administrative level and a high degree of caring and competence is illustrated every day through teacher/student interaction throughout the school. The environment is state of the art, secure and well maintained. The PTSA is coming on strong and is implementing summer reading programs and a beautification strategy to grow school spirit. Parent involvement is growing as well, which should address communication issues that I feel exist at other schools within this system. Overall, your child can have great academic, athletic and social experiences that will prepare them for their future.

Columbia High School 3

Posted May 20, 2014
This school has no sense of community, inside or outside. It's located in the middle of a research park- which is full of businesses. It's location is also vulnerable as it is surrounded by woods on three sides. I find that the school leadership is more focused on sports than education. It has somehow managed to acheive approval to be an IB school- how I will never know- yet they cannot get their act together and communicate deadlines and requirements to the students who are trying to achieve this. This school is fine if you are African American- if you are not, then be prepared to be subject to reverse discrimination. The only bright spot in this school is the arts department- which struggles with no budget. The sports teams never go without, of course. If you cannot tell by my review, I am not a fan of Columbia Highschool.

Posted May 09, 2014
Great Staff,Students are disciplined, and Teachers are always doing their best to help.Overall a great school!

Columbia High School 4

Posted April 29, 2014
Our school has an IB program which is great, and Columbia offers a lot of different sports and clubs to join. Our Principal Mr.Hicks is really great. Most of the teaches on staff are also great! GO EAGLES!!!

Posted August 07, 2013
I'm not sure why the school rating is so low on this school. Millions of dollars were received in 2013 for scholarships including 3 Gates Millennium Scholarships! It's a beautiful school with great potential, especially being only 8 years old! The administration and especially my daughters guidance counselor are amazing. The enthusiasm she has for my daughter's future brought a tear to my eye as they were going over her schedule for next year. I think this school gets a bum rap and makes me pause to wonder if its because its a majority Black school. I hope I'm wrong, but will be paying close attention in the years to come. I'd be very surprised if this schools rating doesn't sky rocket over the next 4 years. Go Eagles!

Columbia High School
300 Explorer Blvd, Huntsville, AL  35806
Last modified Columbia High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.