Providence School

Public | K-8

Posted May 19, 2014

I've got 2 children at Providence. It's been absolutley AMAZING to see how Principal Bonner has transformed this school in 2 years. Providence got a bad rap several years ago, but things got turned around a few years ago. Principal Bonner has done some amazing things and reinstilled pride in the school. I wish that there were still more parent involvement. It seems like 10% of the parents do 90% of the work / volunteer projects.

Posted August 15, 2011

I have a son in 2nd grade and this its his 2nd week in school. They sent home a math sheet for him to do with 128 math problems to do for home work. To me that is a little much for a 7 year who is trying to get refreshed from 1st grade. It breaks my heart because he never wants to go to school now. I called to speak with someone about this and I got hung up on 4 times. I finally got someone on phone after 45 minutes of calling and the last in the office was very rude and told me to pull my child out with no care of how I felt. Very un professional if you ask me. I will be removing my son. This has to be the most horrible school ever.

Posted April 19, 2011

My family moved to another home to change schools for our daughter for the 2010/2011 year. We were very very unhappy with almost all aspects of the school system at providence. This was one of the best decisions! If you can help it, go to a county school! This is just a personal story and one that we know helped our child..... Research your are before you move!

Posted April 18, 2011

This school is horrible. The administration is lackluster at best which is a shame because the teachers we have interacted with are awesome. Don't call the wrong number becasue they will not relay messages between the middle school and elementary school even thought they share an office. The administration takes no responsibility for the office staff and refuse to put anything in writing. Our 6 y/o daughter has been there for 5 months and we are removing her immediately.

Posted January 20, 2011

Providence Middle School is worst school that I have had the displeasure to send my child to school to learn! Parents are only to be asked for money to support the programs (which I do not hear much about once the money is collected) and not to be involved with their children s education. There is NO parent/teacher consultation when students are failing in a class. If parents aren't proactive to look online at their children s grades, they will never know if they are failing or having a problem in class. Most of the time grades aren't even posted for most classes until the end of the quarter when it's too late. Also, if you think that with the latest technology of Email would help with parent/teacher communication, forget it. Responding to a parents email to answer their concerns is at the bottom of their "To Do List". Lastly, not all teachers fall into this. There are probably more teachers that do not fit into my description above, but I suppose that my son has just been able to get the two or bad apples.

Posted December 21, 2010

If I could leave a blank for Principal Leadership, I would. Under the direction of Brenda Wingate the school ran very well. The new Principal and especially the Vice Principal are below par to say the least. They do not have the Children nor the school systems best interest at heart. I can not understand how our taxpayers dollars would allow these types of people to educate our children. On the other hand I believe that there are some exceptional teachers and support staff at the school.

Posted July 28, 2010

My daughter attend fourh grade through sixth grade at this school and I am very disapointed in the staff and as well as the principle. My most concern was the Middle school counselor. Counselors are suppose to fix problem not suporting one side and scold the other.Also the band director is all about fundraisers and money.She wouldn't let a child play if they hadnt bring in their fundraiser stuff.I woundn't recommend going to middle school at Providence.

Posted June 24, 2010

'thug' population?what is that suppose to mean...are you talking about the biracial kids and the black kids? Whats the matter with people like you?do you go to church?what god do you pray to, does he wear a white hood? I agree there are bad kids but why you have to involve "thug" kids are kids and color dont make them good or bad as you said it is the parenting...my son is very well mannered and listens to the teachers and obeys the rules..I like providence i like the support of the teachers so far we have been blessed...i heard about the rudeness of the principal but have not experienced nothing negativ myself...and regardless of how the kids are if the teachers can not deal with the kids, they have the wrong job.Thats why they have classes in psychology and have to have a degree.

Posted June 17, 2010

Great School and great teachers and administration! Wonderful family school! Ran very smoothly for a combined elementary/ middle school.

Posted May 25, 2010

I have 3 girls that go to Providence (aged 6,8 and 10) we've been at Providence since it opened. My kids like their teachers, they are challenged and have enjoyed every year. I've got 2 now in advanced classes because they have had teachers that have pushed them. Yes some teachers shush the kids but guess what..all teachers do that, especially with younger kids that as a group are walking the halls. Would you rather they were loud and disrupted the others classes they were walking past? I've been very invovled with all of my kids classes and even help out in classes my kids are no longer in because the teachers like having parent involvement and I like the teachers that much. No school is going to be perfect but the staff at Providence try to fix the issues that come up..you just have to speak up about any problems.

Posted April 13, 2010

My son went to this school for 3 years and we moved him. The PTA is not organized. The school zoning is not surrounding the school. The Principal and Vice Principal lack in tact and parent relationships. The teachers at this school for the most part are good, most of them. Sad because it could be such a wonderful school

Posted February 18, 2010

Providence is great. You know what, there is no one hundred percent perfect school in this world, I've been through the other side of the world already... School in USA is good and higher than the average point.... I can say it right now that providence is really a wonderful school full with many different environment and everything..; experience, friendship, the foods are great... nothing like in the heaven.. Some where in this world where the residents there may need some foods, knowledge, school, and other stuffs... can you imagine how we, the American, be like and convenient like?? It is good to be American and to be the students or have children in provident k-8 Huntsville, AL..!!!
—Submitted by a student

Posted December 22, 2009

This is my sons 3rd year at Providence. I have been nothing, but blessed from the loving staff and wonderful teachers. My son originally attended Kindergarten at West Mastin Lake and when he came to Providence he was below average on ALL test scores. He couldn t read a thing when he left West Mastin Lake. He was my first child to attend school and I was a young mother I had no idea that they started reading in kindergarten. My son has Cerebral Palsy and is Epileptic. The odds are against him, but being at Providence has really improved his quality of life. He reads all the time and always reaches his S.T.A.R.S goals, he loves Math, and his personality has really blossomed there. All the words in the world cannot express the gratitude I have for the staff, teachers, and principles at this school.

Posted May 12, 2009

Don't be fooled by the location of this school. I have had nothing but problems since enrolling my child in this school. The principal is unprofessional and actually quite rude. I refuse to let my child attend another year at this terrible school.

Posted March 2, 2009

Second year parent (child is now in 1st). We've had mixed experiences with teachers in this school, some are very good, others are harsh and unhappy. This school used to be very good, but since the rezoning, the 'thug' population has increased dramatically. There are many unruly children, and teachers are unable to deal with the situation (its parenting at the root of the problem).

Posted December 20, 2008

my daughter went here a couple of years. The school is overcrowded it has teachers that seem very unorganized and the office staff is not attentive I was very displeased

Posted August 18, 2008

My daughter attended kindergarden last year and we had a wonderful year! I wish the school wasn't k-8, however, they do manage to seperate the elementary and middle quite well. My only complaint was that if a teacher was unable to get a subsitute when absent, the children of the class would be seperated into the other kindergarden classes for the day. I'm sure subsitutes are hard to find, but there has to be a better solution. This is likely to be a problem in the school district rather than Providence itself. Overall, I would definitely recommend Providence, especially for kindergarden.

Posted May 29, 2008

My son has attended Providence for the last 3 years. The teachers are wonderful! Most are very structured and challenge the children. The teachers at Providence are very caring and passionate about the children! Danette Aycock

Posted April 27, 2007

My child was not challenged at this school. There appeared to be no structured environment in which to learn and receive direction/guidance. The class consisted of numerous 'centers', and students would rotate so there would be a small number at each center at a given time. The students mostly worked on their own since the teacher could only be at one center at a time. It was always chaotic with kids running around all over the classroom whenever I'd visit. It appeared that most of the parents never came to school to see what was going on in the class. The teacher was overall great, but she had to work within the constraints of the administration. The 'no child left behind' act prevents average to exceptional children from being challenged because the teacher has to spend the bulk of her time bringing the below average children up to average level.

Posted December 26, 2006

I have 3 children in Providence K-8 and love it! The teachers and the administration are both great.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 87% in 2013.

Scale: % level 3 or 4

In 2012-2013 Alabama used the Alabama Reading and Mathematics Test (ARMT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math. The ARMT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 93% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 87% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2013.

Scale: % level 3 or 4

The different student groups are identified by the Alabama Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students64%

Not migrant77%
Poverty73%
Not poverty83%

Science

The state average for Science was 82% in 2013.

Scale: % level 3 or level 4

In 2012-2013 Alabama used the Alabama Science Assessment (ASA) to test students in grades 5 and 7 in science. The ASA is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficiency level 3.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 63%N/A56%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

10 Challk Stone St