Huntsville, AL

Providence School 4

Posted May 19, 2014
I've got 2 children at Providence. It's been absolutley AMAZING to see how Principal Bonner has transformed this school in 2 years. Providence got a bad rap several years ago, but things got turned around a few years ago. Principal Bonner has done some amazing things and reinstilled pride in the school. I wish that there were still more parent involvement. It seems like 10% of the parents do 90% of the work / volunteer projects.
2 people found this helpful

Posted August 15, 2011
I have a son in 2nd grade and this its his 2nd week in school. They sent home a math sheet for him to do with 128 math problems to do for home work. To me that is a little much for a 7 year who is trying to get refreshed from 1st grade. It breaks my heart because he never wants to go to school now. I called to speak with someone about this and I got hung up on 4 times. I finally got someone on phone after 45 minutes of calling and the last in the office was very rude and told me to pull my child out with no care of how I felt. Very un professional if you ask me. I will be removing my son. This has to be the most horrible school ever.

Posted April 19, 2011
My family moved to another home to change schools for our daughter for the 2010/2011 year. We were very very unhappy with almost all aspects of the school system at providence. This was one of the best decisions! If you can help it, go to a county school! This is just a personal story and one that we know helped our child..... Research your are before you move!

Posted April 18, 2011
This school is horrible. The administration is lackluster at best which is a shame because the teachers we have interacted with are awesome. Don't call the wrong number becasue they will not relay messages between the middle school and elementary school even thought they share an office. The administration takes no responsibility for the office staff and refuse to put anything in writing. Our 6 y/o daughter has been there for 5 months and we are removing her immediately.

Posted January 20, 2011
Providence Middle School is worst school that I have had the displeasure to send my child to school to learn! Parents are only to be asked for money to support the programs (which I do not hear much about once the money is collected) and not to be involved with their children s education. There is NO parent/teacher consultation when students are failing in a class. If parents aren't proactive to look online at their children s grades, they will never know if they are failing or having a problem in class. Most of the time grades aren't even posted for most classes until the end of the quarter when it's too late. Also, if you think that with the latest technology of Email would help with parent/teacher communication, forget it. Responding to a parents email to answer their concerns is at the bottom of their "To Do List". Lastly, not all teachers fall into this. There are probably more teachers that do not fit into my description above, but I suppose that my son has just been able to get the two or bad apples.

Providence School 2

Posted December 21, 2010
If I could leave a blank for Principal Leadership, I would. Under the direction of Brenda Wingate the school ran very well. The new Principal and especially the Vice Principal are below par to say the least. They do not have the Children nor the school systems best interest at heart. I can not understand how our taxpayers dollars would allow these types of people to educate our children. On the other hand I believe that there are some exceptional teachers and support staff at the school.

Providence School 2

Posted July 28, 2010
My daughter attend fourh grade through sixth grade at this school and I am very disapointed in the staff and as well as the principle. My most concern was the Middle school counselor. Counselors are suppose to fix problem not suporting one side and scold the other.Also the band director is all about fundraisers and money.She wouldn't let a child play if they hadnt bring in their fundraiser stuff.I woundn't recommend going to middle school at Providence.

Providence School 4

Posted June 24, 2010
'thug' population?what is that suppose to mean...are you talking about the biracial kids and the black kids? Whats the matter with people like you?do you go to church?what god do you pray to, does he wear a white hood? I agree there are bad kids but why you have to involve "thug" kids are kids and color dont make them good or bad as you said it is the parenting...my son is very well mannered and listens to the teachers and obeys the rules..I like providence i like the support of the teachers so far we have been blessed...i heard about the rudeness of the principal but have not experienced nothing negativ myself...and regardless of how the kids are if the teachers can not deal with the kids, they have the wrong job.Thats why they have classes in psychology and have to have a degree.

Providence School 5

Posted June 17, 2010
Great School and great teachers and administration! Wonderful family school! Ran very smoothly for a combined elementary/ middle school.

Providence School 5

Posted May 25, 2010
I have 3 girls that go to Providence (aged 6,8 and 10) we've been at Providence since it opened. My kids like their teachers, they are challenged and have enjoyed every year. I've got 2 now in advanced classes because they have had teachers that have pushed them. Yes some teachers shush the kids but guess what..all teachers do that, especially with younger kids that as a group are walking the halls. Would you rather they were loud and disrupted the others classes they were walking past? I've been very invovled with all of my kids classes and even help out in classes my kids are no longer in because the teachers like having parent involvement and I like the teachers that much. No school is going to be perfect but the staff at Providence try to fix the issues that come up..you just have to speak up about any problems.
2 people found this helpful

Providence School
10 Challk Stone St, Huntsville, AL  35805
Last modified Providence School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Providence School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top