Providence Elementary School

Public | K-5

Student diversity

Posted May 5, 2014

We have 2 daughters that go to this school and we have had nothing but problems from this school the past 2 years. Most of the teachers don't seem to care about the children. Last year our oldest daughter got body slammed by a little boy for no reason and the teacher didn't do anything about it, we had to go to the school to finally get something done. That went on all last year with her 4th grade teacher. This year we could tell from the beginning that our youngest daughter's teacher didn't care for her at all. She told us that our daughter would be a better student if she was medicated. She will send out a weekly letter for homework but never send the kids home with any of it. The grades for our oldest never get turned in on time so the progress report is always wrong, she is a straight A student and will come home showing C's. The students have computers and are NOT monitored on them, they call look up pretty much ANYTHING they want. There are so many other things wrong with this school, I think the only positive thing about it is the office staff and a select few teachers.

Posted April 28, 2014

Kindergarten are moving in a fast past.My son is in kindergarten and the homework is to difficulty counting by tens, and reading some of his homework sentence and draw an illustration is too much.he has 5 pages of homework to do, read a book. Not to mention fund rasier. Remembering his alphabet , colors shapes, address etc. and numbers on top the other assignments its to much for my son premenstrual born at 6 month 1 pound 3 oz he has slow developmentally skills keeping up with the class. His memory is delayed His teacher recommended for him to return to kindergarten. I am a Single working mom of two and see his slow learning disabilities and I get frustrated with helping him with the basic.I think its too many kids in his class about 24 how could the teacher get him the level where be needs to be when there is so much going on with kindergartens and one teacher, and one mom.

Posted April 11, 2014

Watch out! The city school system forgot to tell you that there is not enough room in the school for the 6-8 grades so they get on a bus and go about 20 miles to Williams elementary in Triana. The bus is usually back to our neighborhood around 4:45 to 5:00 pm. I was hoping they would rezone the area. The zoning for this school is ridiculous, as we pass 3 schools to get to this one. We are moving this summer.

Posted October 1, 2013

My daughter's kindergarten year was awesome. Her teacher is one of the best and she spoiled us!!! 1st grade was very difficult due to so much sickness and a bully issue that was never resolved despite several attempts and communications on my part. My daughter is very sensitive and is very much a people pleaser, so if she ever "pulled a card" she got upset. Her teacher called me more than once to calm my child down. I honestly think a teacher should be able to handle that situation. So far this year, like her kindergarten year, the teacher is awesome and so far so good!!! I'm not sure i agree with so much use of technology. I still believe in actual WORK rather than computers, iPads and the like. But I guess nothin can be done about it; it's just progress. Overall we're happy with the school, although it definitely could use some changes in staff and policies. The office volunteers are very rude and unprofessional.

Posted September 30, 2013

My child has really enjoyed his time at this school so far. The parents and faculty are really nice and helpful.

Posted September 30, 2013

I almost sent our daughters to a private school. I am glad I did not! The administration and teachers at providence are the most professional and organized organization. If they are organized and professional, I knew the children had to be. The entire campus is new, clean, and technology is all as it should be, being in a high advanced technology city such as Huntsville Alabama.Beyond my expectations...

Posted August 14, 2013

Providence Elementary....Great School, Challenging, Brand New!!! I would highly recommend any parent take their child to this school.

Posted August 7, 2013

What a beautiful large brand new school! Three administrators were there to welcome us. One barely glanced up, but I guess she was super busy? Anyway, one bad apple never turned me sour toward a while organization. The other two ladies were very gracious with their time, eased my apprehension with the distance from my house and the quality of care they intend on taking with my youngest sons education. I'm giving this school a thumbs way up on presentation, courtesy towards parents and cleanliness. I believe parents of the students that have no issues are too busy or are trying to keep this place a secret. Transfer your kids sight unseen if you want, but I plan to take my son all the way - great start!

Posted July 18, 2013

Just moved to the area and registered my 2nd grader. Based on the registration process, I'm now very concerned. 1) completed the required forms on the website only to find out three were not needed even though they explicitly said "required for all new students" in the header 2) asked to fill out 3 additional forms when I got to the school that were not on the website 3) I was asked to fill these forms out on wooden bench in the entryway 4) I was also asked to sign a form stating that my son understood the rules/penalities for the use of electronic devices, but the administrator could not provide anything explicitly stating what the rules were. The bottom line is that although the administrator was polite throughout, I felt very unwelcome and felt the process was very inefficient. I will provide an update on my perception of teacher quality and parent involvement later.

Posted April 14, 2013

When we initially moved to Huntsville 4 years ago, we had heard negative things above Providence; however, we found almost none of that to be true. Since Principal Bonner came in from North Carolina, there has been an unbelievable change in the pride and attitude of the parents, teachers, and students. There has been more affluence in this school over the past 2 years as nicer subdivisions have popped up north of Hwy 72, and I honestly think that has helped some too. Test scores have risen under his leadership as well. We're really happy and pleased with the changes and we have a few years left with our youngest at Providence. Hope this is helpful!

Posted January 14, 2013

The administration had a bumpy start while the new principal settled in and made a few changes for the better. He is extremely professional and honestly cares that the children meet their educational needs. For the most part, the teaching staff is caring and concerned about the children in their classroom and test scores (for the most part) are demonstrating their success.

Posted September 13, 2012

Still going strong. In spite of a slow start and some growing pains due to a major technology shift in Huntsville City Schools, Providence Elementary School and Middle School teachers deliver. Providence has an outstanding staff and our completely new administration is making changes for the better, particularly in their response to parent concerns and fostering a positive environment for student achievement. Academically our students are thriving. While we still need to grow our school community, I believe Providence is on its way to be a great school.

Posted August 20, 2012

I have a son that has attended Providence Elementary for the past 3 years. Both my wife and I have been extremely satisfied with the quality of the teachers, staff, and facilities. I personally grew up in an outstanding education system, and will rate the quality of education my son is receiving to be at or above what I personally received. Every teacher I have had the pleasure of meeting has genuinely cared for his/her students. If I had to offer any criticisms, it would be that the school needs more parent involvement.

Posted August 19, 2012

I am the parent of a incoming second grader at Providence. My son has attended Providence since Kindergarten. Kindergarten was such a wonderful experience for him and us! I thought it couldn't be topped, but First Grade proved me wrong! First Grade was just as great! Our teachers at Providence are dedicated, friendly, and love their students. The support staff is just as caring and dedicated! We are all super excited to start a new year!

Posted August 16, 2012

I have 2 children at Providence Elementary, attending for the past 3 years. As a working dad, I am involved in their education without hovering. I do review my children's homework and tests to evaluate the effectiveness of the curriculum, and I have engaged each of my children's teachers from K-3rd. This is a 4-star school for several reasons. First, the school's facilities are excellent: new, spacious and well-kept, with an excellent library, art / music program, and a good PE facilities / program. It is a healthy, orderly environment that supports learning. Second, the teachers we've had are outstanding: caring, dedicated, and committed to their students. Third, while past school administration was lackluster, the new Principal (cherry-picked from North Carolina) and Vice Principal are driving a NEW ENERGY at this school. With smart boards in most classrooms and iPads or laptops for EVERY student, I am pleased with the school's progress. A controversial districting decision zoned-in many low-income students and chased away some affluent families. Budget issues continue. My children have thrived, however. Don't believe the negative rumors. Go see - you might be surprised.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 87% in 2013.

Scale: % level 3 or 4

In 2012-2013 Alabama used the Alabama Reading and Mathematics Test (ARMT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math. The ARMT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 93% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2013.

All Students76%

Not migrant87%
Poverty82%
Not poverty94%
Scale: % level 3 or 4

The different student groups are identified by the Alabama Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students72%

Not migrant88%
Poverty85%
Not poverty91%

Science

The state average for Science was 82% in 2013.

Scale: % level 3 or level 4

In 2012-2013 Alabama used the Alabama Science Assessment (ASA) to test students in grades 5 and 7 in science. The ASA is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficiency level 3.

Science

Poverty60%
Not poverty80%
Scale: % level 3 or level 4

Source: Alabama Department of Education

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

10 Chalkstone St