Huntsville, AL

Providence Elementary School 1

Posted November 23, 2014
My child attends Providence. I had hope all the negative rumors about the school were not true, but they are. The only reason he is there is because he has a great teacher. She is the exception to such a terrible school. I will be putting my child in private school next year. The teachers at Providence spend more time disciplining students than teaching This school is awful from the moment you walk through the door and meet the front desk staff. They are very unprofessional from the way they look, act and dress. They have look as if your presence has inconvenienced them. The education at this school is dumbed down. They cater to a specific demographic of kids who have no reinforcement at home of getting a good education. As a taxpayer, I shoild not have to put my child in private school. Local leaders fail to realize no matter how nice the school looks and how many middle and upper middle class students you put in this school, if the majority come from poor neighborhoods, they are going to bring down the quality of the education. This forces the rest of us to seek alternative solutions such as homeschooling, private school, or moving to a better school system
2 people found this helpful

Providence Elementary School 1

Posted May 05, 2014
We have 2 daughters that go to this school and we have had nothing but problems from this school the past 2 years. Most of the teachers don't seem to care about the children. Last year our oldest daughter got body slammed by a little boy for no reason and the teacher didn't do anything about it, we had to go to the school to finally get something done. That went on all last year with her 4th grade teacher. This year we could tell from the beginning that our youngest daughter's teacher didn't care for her at all. She told us that our daughter would be a better student if she was medicated. She will send out a weekly letter for homework but never send the kids home with any of it. The grades for our oldest never get turned in on time so the progress report is always wrong, she is a straight A student and will come home showing C's. The students have computers and are NOT monitored on them, they call look up pretty much ANYTHING they want. There are so many other things wrong with this school, I think the only positive thing about it is the office staff and a select few teachers.

Providence Elementary School 2

Posted April 28, 2014
Kindergarten are moving in a fast past.My son is in kindergarten and the homework is to difficulty counting by tens, and reading some of his homework sentence and draw an illustration is too much.he has 5 pages of homework to do, read a book. Not to mention fund rasier. Remembering his alphabet , colors shapes, address etc. and numbers on top the other assignments its to much for my son premenstrual born at 6 month 1 pound 3 oz he has slow developmentally skills keeping up with the class. His memory is delayed His teacher recommended for him to return to kindergarten. I am a Single working mom of two and see his slow learning disabilities and I get frustrated with helping him with the basic.I think its too many kids in his class about 24 how could the teacher get him the level where be needs to be when there is so much going on with kindergartens and one teacher, and one mom.

Providence Elementary School 3

Posted April 11, 2014
Watch out! The city school system forgot to tell you that there is not enough room in the school for the 6-8 grades so they get on a bus and go about 20 miles to Williams elementary in Triana. The bus is usually back to our neighborhood around 4:45 to 5:00 pm. I was hoping they would rezone the area. The zoning for this school is ridiculous, as we pass 3 schools to get to this one. We are moving this summer.

Providence Elementary School 3

Posted October 01, 2013
My daughter's kindergarten year was awesome. Her teacher is one of the best and she spoiled us!!! 1st grade was very difficult due to so much sickness and a bully issue that was never resolved despite several attempts and communications on my part. My daughter is very sensitive and is very much a people pleaser, so if she ever "pulled a card" she got upset. Her teacher called me more than once to calm my child down. I honestly think a teacher should be able to handle that situation. So far this year, like her kindergarten year, the teacher is awesome and so far so good!!! I'm not sure i agree with so much use of technology. I still believe in actual WORK rather than computers, iPads and the like. But I guess nothin can be done about it; it's just progress. Overall we're happy with the school, although it definitely could use some changes in staff and policies. The office volunteers are very rude and unprofessional.

Providence Elementary School 4

Posted September 30, 2013
My child has really enjoyed his time at this school so far. The parents and faculty are really nice and helpful.

Posted September 30, 2013
I almost sent our daughters to a private school. I am glad I did not! The administration and teachers at providence are the most professional and organized organization. If they are organized and professional, I knew the children had to be. The entire campus is new, clean, and technology is all as it should be, being in a high advanced technology city such as Huntsville Alabama.Beyond my expectations...

Posted August 14, 2013
Providence Elementary....Great School, Challenging, Brand New!!! I would highly recommend any parent take their child to this school.

Posted August 07, 2013
What a beautiful large brand new school! Three administrators were there to welcome us. One barely glanced up, but I guess she was super busy? Anyway, one bad apple never turned me sour toward a while organization. The other two ladies were very gracious with their time, eased my apprehension with the distance from my house and the quality of care they intend on taking with my youngest sons education. I'm giving this school a thumbs way up on presentation, courtesy towards parents and cleanliness. I believe parents of the students that have no issues are too busy or are trying to keep this place a secret. Transfer your kids sight unseen if you want, but I plan to take my son all the way - great start!

Providence Elementary School 2

Posted July 18, 2013
Just moved to the area and registered my 2nd grader. Based on the registration process, I'm now very concerned. 1) completed the required forms on the website only to find out three were not needed even though they explicitly said "required for all new students" in the header 2) asked to fill out 3 additional forms when I got to the school that were not on the website 3) I was asked to fill these forms out on wooden bench in the entryway 4) I was also asked to sign a form stating that my son understood the rules/penalities for the use of electronic devices, but the administrator could not provide anything explicitly stating what the rules were. The bottom line is that although the administrator was polite throughout, I felt very unwelcome and felt the process was very inefficient. I will provide an update on my perception of teacher quality and parent involvement later.

Providence Elementary School
10 Chalkstone St, Huntsville, AL  35806
Last modified Providence Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Providence Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top