Blossomwood Elementary School 3

Posted January 27, 2014
I am updating a glowing review I gave a few years ago. While it was a nice school for the first year, we found that we did not fit in with the student & parent culture of the school. We decided to move out of the neighborhood & into to an adjacent school neighborhood (Jones Valley) since we felt that Blossomwood involved parents & their kids were a bit closed-minded & biased to "outsiders", i.e., non-lifelong residents of the Blossomwood neighborhood. This was confirmed also by other fellow military & business transplants who moved their kids out of the school to avoid this as well. Leaving the school & neighborhood exposed my children to more warm & open-minded children who do not shun others for having life experiences or activities/tastes beyond their small-town neighborhood. My children have been in 5 different schools over 15 years of our military travels, I am an involved mom, so I suppose we are more sensitive to these type of environments than others.

Blossomwood Elementary School 3

Posted February 04, 2012
Although I think the curriculum is great and most staff members are caring there seem to be at least one that isn't. We moved here mid year and are not happy with the teacher, not a caring or trusting learning environment. We will take our daughter out and homeschool her the rest of year if our request for a new teacher is not accepted. The principal does not return calls well and does not seem very open and involved, compared to our experience with other schools. Blossomwood has been so highly rated, that is why we chose this school, and we were not expecting this.

Posted February 01, 2012
Blossomwood Elementary is an outstanding school that excels in both academics and truly caring about their students. We have been very happy with our child attending there. And the amazing programs they have to offer. It is one of the top 5 elementary schools in this area, if not the number 1 elementary school in our city. It is only one if 5 elementary schools in th state to start SAT testing in 2nd grade.

Blossomwood Elementary School 0

Posted November 13, 2009
Have to agree with some of the praise and criticism in the other reviews. Yes, there is too much emphasis on testing, but that I put that on the Dept. of Ed., since that is how school performance is measured. Yes, the principal is overbearing (would it kill her to smile?). Yes, neighborhood politics influences the faculty and administration. But in the final analysis, the school attracts some of the best teachers in this area. The PTA is a fund-raising machine, and those funds convert to excellent classroom resources. There isn't a lot of creative thinking when it comes to managing common childhood behavior problems, but if you have a compliant, well-behaved child, it's worth the inflated home prices to live in this district.

Posted September 28, 2009

Posted September 16, 2009
We love Blossomwood, the neighborhood, because there just isn't a more wholesome environment in which to raise our children. My children ride their bikes to school, play outside with friends, and in the summer walk to the pool to see their friends. As for Blossomwood, the school, my kids have made so many good friends, the list keeps growing. Academics? My fourth grader's scores fall in the tenth grade in reading and in the eleventh grade for math. Let somebody else pay $10,000 per child for private school. We have the best neighborhood, the best school, and the best kids. Combine all this with the best location, and it makes me wonder why anyone would want to live anywhere else.

Blossomwood Elementary School 1

Posted May 06, 2009
I moved my children here from a much smaller school in Huntsville, and I have been very disappointed. I have found that the principal is very overbearing and it seems that testing, testing, testing is her utmost priority and if my children aren't being tested, they are practicing for a test. No wonder the school's test scores are so high! I do not want my children to learn tests, I want them to LEARN. We will be looking into private school for the next school year.

Posted April 23, 2009
Top Notch- better than *any* school we've sent our kids too, including a Blue Ribbon School in Williamsburg Virginia, CDS, and Randolph. Kudos to the administration and staff. Amazing parent involvement, and a caring staff.

Posted April 01, 2009
Great school! Very caring teachers and administration. This was our first year at Blossomwood and love it!

Posted September 09, 2008
As a recent transplant to the area, our children have experienced three various private schools in the area. We consider our standards to be quite high and do not settle when it comes to our childrens' learning environment. Blossomwood is the closest we have come to an environment where the standards of learning & expectations are high; that is not overcrowded & growing too fast (i.e., madison schools, some area private schools); the student body/parents do not hold radical views that interfere with policies & curriculum; & while a true neighborhood school, still offers & embraces a bit more diversity than most schools in the area. This is all wrapped together & demonstrated by some of the highest scores/performance in the area & state. Parental involvement is paramount, and the open door policy to families is refreshing & integral to well-supported activities offered. Strong, competent leadership without micromanagement keeps teachers effective.

Blossomwood Elementary School
1321 Woodmont Ave. SE, Huntsville, AL  35801
Last modified Blossomwood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Blossomwood Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top