Posted June 07, 2014
Asfl is a great school I'm a student and I've gone there since 2nd to 4th they are a great school so all those negative commits are bogus and ridiculous.I'm a student and I know

Posted July 17, 2013
My son is being pulled fro this school this year. After attending the school for 3 years, he has lost his love for learning. His first grade teacher hated him and it was obvious to anyone looking in. He actually got into trouble because one of his classmates cut a hole in my son's shirt. He fell in the bathroom banging his head on the concrete and got yelled at for crying and was not allowed to see a nurse, nor was I notified of the head injury. The last straw was in second grade when for weeks at a time he was not allowed to participate in gym class because he wasn't picked to be on the team. What kind of elementary school program does not allow every child to participate in every class. Other parents voiced the same concerns regarding gym class. Then to top it off, one day he is left outside after gym class and no one knew he was missing. My child was wandering around trying to get back into the school during child pick-up times. He was unsupervised in a chaotic parking lot and anything could have happened. Meanwhile I'm waiting for my child and none of the teachers know where he is. I made complaints to the school board and was told these things happen.

Academy For Science & Foreign Language 4

Posted April 23, 2013
My daughter started Kindergarten this year and wearing uniforms made deciding what to wear in the morning so much easier. You have many styles to mix and match. The education my daughter received this year has been amazing. There are plenty of projects and homework, so if you are a parent that loves to be involved in your child's school and education, ASFL is the school for you! They have many field trips, after school activities, and fundraising activities to ensure the school has the supplies they need to make learning fun. Dr. Garrett is an amazing principal. She greets the students by name and makes an effort to have short conversations with everyone she sees. The teachers do everything possible to create a fun but structured environment.

Posted January 06, 2013
I must say, this school is a WONDERFUL school!! For all you parents looking here too see if its a good idea too send your children here, let them go because so far this is the best school! I went in the begging of 6th this year and I love this school. The only reason why there is bad reviews because of Dr. Summerville. Dr.Garret made an improvement on the school. Next year im re-applying and hoping for the best i get back in!! <3

Posted August 05, 2011
This school is horrible. I went here for 6th and 7th grade and I must say that the students are horrible-talking to the teachers any kind of way and/or tone-and the teachers are of the lowest quality. Do not let your child go here. The school only cares about how the children dress. They only care about there IB Program-which is garbage. They are stuck on titles rather than what the kids need to know to have success in the future. I remember hearing a lot of kids say they have a 1st to 4th grade reading level in 6th grade. A person with an actual 6th grade reading level was considered super smart when it is only supposed to be average. A majority of the teachers curse at the children and the children curse back at the teachers. More discipline needs to be ensembles in the kids. It actually made me thankful for having a good upbringing and to know that I shouldn't talk to adults any type of way. ASFL needs great improvement before I would even think about recommending that school to anyone. The building is also very low maintenance causing mice to wander around the building. I am very glad that I left the school, I hope that the school gets better for the sake of the other kids.

Academy For Science & Foreign Language 2

Posted July 23, 2011
An ok school, though alot of the older kids behave like young thugs (not racially speaking). PTA is an absolute joke with very little parent involvement. Some of the teachers and admin staff are rude to parents and students and little is done by the Principal to curtail their behavior. SAD. Eight years of mixed emotions. Out of ten ten - ASFL gets a five.

Posted March 31, 2011
My children both attended this school and i will say that things have changed since they first started. They did have some very good teachers Mrs. Allen, Mrs. Pope, and currently Mrs. Alexander, Mr. Snodgrass and Mr. Ryan showed a great deals of interest in the child and make sure that they are learning. The space program was a great interest to the students, but was discontinued. The school seems more interested in the test scores and uniforms now, 4-5 years ago they were actually interested in the student learning and fdoing well in class. I would not recommend this school to any one over another school.

Posted March 20, 2011
My daughter loves ASFL since starting in 3rd grade. She is looking forward to continuing through 8th grade. I love the uniform policy. Dr. Summerville is a positive influence on the students and is truly hands-on. She takes her responsibilities seriously and is able to do amazing things even when resources are hard to come by. The staff is equally committed and motivated. While some unpleasant things have occurred (and where do they NOT occur, frankly), but each incident was handled professionally, promptly and appropriately. I could not ask for a better school for my daughter.

Posted January 06, 2010

Posted October 29, 2009

Academy For Science & Foreign Language
3221 Mastin Lake Rd, Huntsville, AL  35810
Last modified Academy For Science & Foreign Language is a Public school that serves grades K-9. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Academy For Science & Foreign Language Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top