Huntsville, AL

Academy For Science & Foreign Language 2

Posted June 15, 2015
Four principals in as many years makes for poor leadership at this school. I found the atmosphere was often oppressive. There was little time for fun. Even gym glass had the teaches shouting at the kids, making them do rounds of calisthenics before they could play, IF they had time to play a game or do anything other than sit ups and push ups and jumping jacks. My daughter received citizenship and IB trait "caring" awards in kindergarten and first grade, but her second grade teacher took a strong dislike to her and picked on her the entire year, including making her sit out for 1/2 of field day as punishment for allegedly lying in an incident that took one child's word over another's. I typically back up the teachers in disciplinary situations, but this went too far. The principal, however, stood by the punishment. My eldest was targeted for being smart, and white. Yes, I said it. She was one of only two Caucasian girls in her grade, both of whom were bullied constantly. There was discrimination amongst the students and when I brought it to the attention of the administrators they were "shocked", having no clue of the level of bullying going on at their school. I regret the day I pulled my girls out of Chapman elementary because I was concerned about the reputation of Chapman Middle.

Posted June 07, 2014
Asfl is a great school I'm a student and I've gone there since 2nd to 4th they are a great school so all those negative commits are bogus and ridiculous.I'm a student and I know

Posted July 17, 2013
My son is being pulled fro this school this year. After attending the school for 3 years, he has lost his love for learning. His first grade teacher hated him and it was obvious to anyone looking in. He actually got into trouble because one of his classmates cut a hole in my son's shirt. He fell in the bathroom banging his head on the concrete and got yelled at for crying and was not allowed to see a nurse, nor was I notified of the head injury. The last straw was in second grade when for weeks at a time he was not allowed to participate in gym class because he wasn't picked to be on the team. What kind of elementary school program does not allow every child to participate in every class. Other parents voiced the same concerns regarding gym class. Then to top it off, one day he is left outside after gym class and no one knew he was missing. My child was wandering around trying to get back into the school during child pick-up times. He was unsupervised in a chaotic parking lot and anything could have happened. Meanwhile I'm waiting for my child and none of the teachers know where he is. I made complaints to the school board and was told these things happen.

Academy For Science & Foreign Language 4

Posted April 23, 2013
My daughter started Kindergarten this year and wearing uniforms made deciding what to wear in the morning so much easier. You have many styles to mix and match. The education my daughter received this year has been amazing. There are plenty of projects and homework, so if you are a parent that loves to be involved in your child's school and education, ASFL is the school for you! They have many field trips, after school activities, and fundraising activities to ensure the school has the supplies they need to make learning fun. Dr. Garrett is an amazing principal. She greets the students by name and makes an effort to have short conversations with everyone she sees. The teachers do everything possible to create a fun but structured environment.

Posted January 06, 2013
I must say, this school is a WONDERFUL school!! For all you parents looking here too see if its a good idea too send your children here, let them go because so far this is the best school! I went in the begging of 6th this year and I love this school. The only reason why there is bad reviews because of Dr. Summerville. Dr.Garret made an improvement on the school. Next year im re-applying and hoping for the best i get back in!! <3

Posted August 05, 2011
This school is horrible. I went here for 6th and 7th grade and I must say that the students are horrible-talking to the teachers any kind of way and/or tone-and the teachers are of the lowest quality. Do not let your child go here. The school only cares about how the children dress. They only care about there IB Program-which is garbage. They are stuck on titles rather than what the kids need to know to have success in the future. I remember hearing a lot of kids say they have a 1st to 4th grade reading level in 6th grade. A person with an actual 6th grade reading level was considered super smart when it is only supposed to be average. A majority of the teachers curse at the children and the children curse back at the teachers. More discipline needs to be ensembles in the kids. It actually made me thankful for having a good upbringing and to know that I shouldn't talk to adults any type of way. ASFL needs great improvement before I would even think about recommending that school to anyone. The building is also very low maintenance causing mice to wander around the building. I am very glad that I left the school, I hope that the school gets better for the sake of the other kids.

Academy For Science & Foreign Language 2

Posted July 23, 2011
An ok school, though alot of the older kids behave like young thugs (not racially speaking). PTA is an absolute joke with very little parent involvement. Some of the teachers and admin staff are rude to parents and students and little is done by the Principal to curtail their behavior. SAD. Eight years of mixed emotions. Out of ten ten - ASFL gets a five.

Posted March 31, 2011
My children both attended this school and i will say that things have changed since they first started. They did have some very good teachers Mrs. Allen, Mrs. Pope, and currently Mrs. Alexander, Mr. Snodgrass and Mr. Ryan showed a great deals of interest in the child and make sure that they are learning. The space program was a great interest to the students, but was discontinued. The school seems more interested in the test scores and uniforms now, 4-5 years ago they were actually interested in the student learning and fdoing well in class. I would not recommend this school to any one over another school.

Posted March 20, 2011
My daughter loves ASFL since starting in 3rd grade. She is looking forward to continuing through 8th grade. I love the uniform policy. Dr. Summerville is a positive influence on the students and is truly hands-on. She takes her responsibilities seriously and is able to do amazing things even when resources are hard to come by. The staff is equally committed and motivated. While some unpleasant things have occurred (and where do they NOT occur, frankly), but each incident was handled professionally, promptly and appropriately. I could not ask for a better school for my daughter.

Academy For Science & Foreign Language

Posted September 18, 2008
ASFL is a wonderful school to work in and for students to attend. ASFL has had one of it's teachers awarded teacher of the year in HCS 3 times in the last 10 years and all teachers are dedicated to the best interest of the students. Class sizes are small, students get the opportunity to participate in an extremely wide variety of extracurricular activities even though there are no sports. Adminstration is constantly looking for ways to improve the school. The students are great. They are typical kids, but they have a passion for learning and not just for learning about academics. By the time these kids graduate you can see in them their desire to know what's going on in the world and to understand it on a deep intellectual level. Overall ASFL is one of the best schools in this area and I'm proud to be a member

Academy For Science & Foreign Language
3221 Mastin Lake Rd, Huntsville, AL  35810
Last modified Academy For Science & Foreign Language is a Public school that serves grades K-9. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Academy For Science & Foreign Language Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top