Bad
Good

If you are looking for a great learning institution in Huntsville, this is the place to go. Above all are the academic standards, which push students to do the best they can and will put you through rigorous work to get your diploma. Many teachers and alumni will tell you that college is much easier once you've been through Grissom and I am inclined to agree. The choice in classes and extracurricular activities is one of the best in the state. The Army JROTC is one of the most acclaimed battalions in Northern AL, and the Theatre department has become famous in town for its large production value and immense talent its students put out. The school offers advanced classes for college credit, more in fact than any other in the city, and the teachers are some of the best you will find. While it is crowded and the building is very old, they are about to lay new ground on a replacement facility across town that should address both of these problems adequately. If you have a student entering or in middle school and need to decide a place for them to go, there really is no better High School in the Huntsville area.

Grissom students and teachers have earned the honor of being the only school in the city of Huntsville ranked in the top 10 schools in Alabama! Go Tigers! Thanks teachers!

I'm a graduate of Grissom High School many years ago. Fortunately, I attended this school and it prepared me to think outside the box and for the rat race that is college. I believe that the many options in the curriculum of Grissom prepared me for a successful future. I'm now approaching 50 & have fond memories of participating in several AP classes, having unique PhD'd teachers who were willing to discuss theory and challenge me, and of all the band opportunities I was fortunate to be involved with. It is a college-preparation dream for students. I was able to clep several college courses which was a time and financial advantage. Most importantly, I've been a self-supporting female in a professional workforce for 28 years. That's from a good foundation. Go Tigers!

Yes, Grissom is above average. But, it was not the school for us. It is excellent for extremely well motivated, organized students. I would not recommend it for students with any learning disabilities or even minor problems with motivation or organization. You don't have to be a bad kid to fail there. Parents won't get much meaningful help when they are trying to bring along a well-behaved, but struggling student. It's a sink or swim environment, riddled with kids who are extremely stressed out and at risk of succumbing to the pressures of the dark elements that lurk in the student body. The teachers, individually of fabulous quality, are just stretched too thin to be of significant help to all of their students.

My daughter was in top private schools before we relocated to Huntsville but I received recommendations from the private school principal to consider the SE Huntsville public schools. We bought a home in the Whitesburg/Grissom district and were extremely satisfied for the most part. She was a solid honor roll student, involved in extracurricular activities and JV sports, and was very well prepared to succeed at a big out-of-state university for undergrad and then at prestigious schools for her master's and PhD. Her comment as a college freshman was that it was very little different from Grissom.. SO many kids come from small schools to a big uni and just cannot handle the feeling of being "lost in a crowd" or the myriad distractions. As others have said, even the "second tier" Grissom student is well equipped academically and maybe even more importantly, socially and emotionally, for college!

I am a graduate of Grissom and have moved back and purchased a home in the District so that my son will attend Grissom when he goes to high school. I had a B average when I was at Grissom but when I went to college I was light years ahead of my peers. College was quite easy after attending Grissom. We had many faculty members who had their doctorates and taught college during the year and summer break. Grissom will give your kids a solid foundation for achievement if they want it. There is so many organizations to get involved with while they are enrolled. There is absolutely no reason that your child should not fit in other than they dont want to go to school. Grissom will give them what they need to succeed in college.

This is my second year at GHS, and my grades aren't very good. I have doubts that I'll go to the schools of my choice. This is mostly my fault but also the fault of the teachers. 99% of the teachers seem uninterested in the students. Absolutely none of them will confront a student about their performance in class. This is due to GHS's policy of preparing students for college, but they overlook the fact that they have to get there first. Teachers have admitted that they don't care, and say "I still get paid whether you pass or not." GHS's academic rank falls each year. Teachers announce their policies only once, and if you don't obey then they will not compromise for any reason. They never understand why their students fail. Each year the administration corrupts more. Superintendent Moore gives GHS the LEAST amount of money out of any other school even when it is the highest performing. But the school is good for those who try hard. The principal is a good one. Extracurriculars are very good. But those teachers. I mean, look at how flawless and beautiful my vernacular is. Tell me how I have a 64 in Honors English. GHS's main problem is the teachers, everything else is pretty good.

I am a current freshmen at this school as of 2010 If you are moving to this town and are zoned for grissom district be prepared, BRING EVERYTHING teachers will not tolerate not having your supplies, (i learned it the hard way) our school is a very hard school and the majority of the teachers are strict and do lots of test so you will most likely be doing homework for 2 to 5 hours a day, our sports are very good so if your a football player than go ahead s and join (it is hard practice) we did not do well this season but every school has there up's and DOWNS......our school would be better if it was better designed and maintained better but the education matters and grissom education is diffidently college hard level (BE PREPARED)

I have a senior and a freshman this year at Grissom. Grissom is a challenging school. The teachers your child gets greatly influences how well they do. My senior had a non-preforming teacher here and there. My freshman not so lucky this year. He had three such teachers - that means nothing is gotten out of class time so you are teaching yourself! Yes - he did ask questions when he needed help. That said there are some excellent teachers that go beyond for their students. If you are an incoming freshman take heed to what the 8th grade teachers say about classes and teachers at Grissom. Your child does NOT have to be in honors classes as a freshman to take honors the following year. You need a good grade and teacher's signature for any honors/AP.

I had two children attend Grissom and I was a substitute teacher there. It is a large school but there are many opportunities for every type of student to become involved. The education provided is excellent.

Last modified Virgil Grissom High School is a Public school that serves grades 8-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.