Mt Gap Elementary School

Public | K-5

Posted October 6, 2013

I went to Mt. Gap Elementary in grades 1-5. It was an outstanding five years for me. Great teachers, great kids, great principal, everything was wonderful. Academics are great and we also have many fun activities throughout the year such as Science Fun Day, Field Day, Space Week, etc. I often wish I was still a student there. Wonderful place and would strongly recommend it to any family moving to Huntsville with young children !

Posted February 17, 2012

We LOVE MGE! Parental involvement is wonderful, teaching staff is excellent. We bought our home in MG zone when our son was 4 because of this school! So happy that it isn't closing, but so so sad to see the retiring of so many veteran teachers this year!

Posted June 21, 2010

I went to Mt. Gap Elementary and Mt. Gap Middle School. My mother had a kid in elementary school, a kid in middle school, and a kid in high school. The convenience of having these schools within miles of each other really benefit a working mother! The teachers really care about their student's well being and it shows in the SAT scores. Aside from the school being one of the best, the surrounding neighborhoods are safe with affordable homes. Mt. Gap is located on a road that is never busy and it has a slow speed limit. Everything about Mt. Gap is great and I fully recommend it!

Posted April 29, 2009

This school has given us everything we could have ever asked for. A kind and friendly staff who are always there to help you if you ever have a problem. Great teachers and one of the nicest principals you will find anywhere. We were considering private school when our kids were younger, but we are now in 5th and 3rd grade and I don't think I could have given my children a better education anywhere. And....with the highest test scores in Huntsville City Schools, how can you go wrong?!

Posted April 29, 2008

We absolutely love Mt. Gap School. I have so many people tell me how lucky I am to live in this school district. My husband went there as a child and now my children love it. I get as involved as I can, and feel very at home there. We have fabulous teachers and a very accomodating principal. I couldn't ask for more. Also, we have always had the highest test scores in the city, with the exception of the No Child Left Behind transfers that do tend to bring our scores down when they first transfer. However, we have won awards several years in a row for the amazing jump in academics that these kids make after just one year at Mt. Gap. We are so blessed to be at this school!

Posted February 3, 2008

I love my school I've been going here since kindergarten. The teachers are amazing. I never want to leave at the end of the day! my teacher this year lets us express ourselves. She's also my neighbor so sometimes on the weekends I'll go visit her! Our principal is outstanding! She is the best of the best. I know our school bases on reading, but so wht it's something you use a lot! Our students are all so close we're like a big family!! TThat's why I love this school!!!!
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 27, 2007

We love our daughter's teacher this year, but I feel that some of the kids are not being challenged enough with the No Child Left Behind in place. Teachers are having to 'water down' the class work to accommodate these kids. There are children in my daughter's class that are just learning to read. It just reflects bad on our school.

Posted September 13, 2006

Our child is now in 2nd grade and prior to starting Kindergarden we seriously considered private school. I have to say that we couldn't be any happier than we are with Mt. Gap. The teachers have an open door policy, they have educational experience, they are caring, they make learning fun and the are just strict enough to be able to control the classroom.

Posted April 8, 2004

This is my son's first year at Mt. Gap Elementary. He really enjoys it. He really likes his teacher. All of the staff are great. They are really compassionate, caring, kind, & understanding. The only thing that I am disappointed about is that there should be more extra-curricular activities for the students.

Posted March 22, 2004

While there are good teachers at Mt. Gap, I am disappointed that the grading system and discipline structure is a little lax. Both of my children are in SPACE, but I find that they are not challenged to think for themselves. One-third of the year is spent priming them for the SAT exam, and nothing new is learned from April through May. Building self-esteem seems to override building a work ethic.

Posted January 23, 2004

Mountain Gap Elementary School is very good with discipline and they have some of the highest S.A.T scores. When your child gets through with Elementary School the there is a Mountain Gap Middle School for your kids that is attached to the Elementary side. It is a great school.
—Submitted by a former student

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2012.

48 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2012.

48 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % level 3 or 4

In 2011-2012 Alabama used the Alabama Reading and Mathematics Test (ARMT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math. The ARMT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2012.

58 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2012.

59 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 91% in 2012.

53 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2012.

52 students were tested at this school in 2012.

All Students94%

Non-migrant100%
Povertyn/a
Non-poverty100%
Scale: % level 3 or 4

The different student groups are identified by the Alabama Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students95%

Non-migrant92%
Poverty94%
Non-poverty91%

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2012.

53 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % level 3 or level 4

In 2011-2012 Alabama used the Alabama Science Assessment (ASA) to test students in grades 5 and 7 in science. The ASA is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficiency level 3.

Science

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 22%N/A56%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

821 Mt Gap Rd